Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I could use some 270 help

I could use some 270 help

Hey there, I recently acquired a 270win Savage 111 for my backup hunting rifle. I had a cheap Mauser in 30-06 that had a personal vendetta against me so the two of us decided to part ways. A buddy who owns a local gunshop gave this Savage in a straight trade which is wonderful.... Except I have zero experience in 270 and no anything for anything for it. I bought one box of Federal 130gr SP that was on sale for $13 because 270 isn't really popular here.

If anyone has any extra 270 brass, boolits or otherwise to help me get started in this cartridge I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

I could possibly scrounge up a small flat rate box of brass for cost of shipping if you need it. Just PM me.
    Just knowing enough to do it, is not enough to do it right! -Taz

Banned
    While I'm not a huge fan of long actions, I am a fan of 7mm rifle projectiles.
    The history of the 270 Win is well known and I will not go over it here. I will say that its good reputation seems to be well deserved. While it doesn't use the exact same diameter bullet of the 7mm family (.277" vs. .284") it's close enough that it reaps most of the same benefits of the general 7mm class. Excellent trajectory, excellent accuracy, good penetration, enough weight to get the job done but less recoil than the larger calibers, etc.; are all traits of the 270 Win.
    Where the 7mm Remington mag is often overkill in the eastern U.S., the 270 Win shines.

I don't know why the 270 Win ended up with a .277" (7.0mm) bullet and everything else in the 7mm class ended up with 7.2 mm (.284") but that's what happened. I'm sure there's some American/European conflict there but whatever.

Most people I've met that hunted with the 270 Win swore by it. In a lot of ways, the 270 Win is the American version of the 7mm Mauser. While those two cartridges are not at all interchangeable; they are have very similar ballistics and performance. The casing for the 270 Win is about a 1/4" longer than the 7mm Mauser, and the two cartridges use slightly different bullet diameters. However, in terms of real world performance, the 270 Win is a lot like the American cousin of the 7 x 57.

Banned

I always wondered about the .270. Can't do anything the .30-06 can't do better and was already doing when it was developed with the added bonus of a much worse bullet selection.

I picked up one of the older Sears ones built on an FN Mauser action which should be a better shooter than it is. To be fair, I haven't really worked with it much, but I just can't see the appeal. The .280 Remington is a much, much better idea and cartridge making better use of a better selection of bullets too, but for some reason it has been a flop where sales are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    While I'm not a huge fan of long actions, I am a fan of 7mm rifle projectiles.
    The history of the 270 Win is well known and I will not go over it here. I will say that its good reputation seems to be well deserved. While it doesn't use the exact same diameter bullet of the 7mm family (.277" vs. .284") it's close enough that it reaps most of the same benefits of the general 7mm class. Excellent trajectory, excellent accuracy, good penetration, enough weight to get the job done but less recoil than the larger calibers, etc.; are all traits of the 270 Win.
    Where the 7mm Remington mag is often overkill in the eastern U.S., the 270 Win shines.

I don't know why the 270 Win ended up with a .277" (7.0mm) bullet and everything else in the 7mm class ended up with 7.2 mm (.284") but that's what happened. I'm sure there's some American/European conflict there but whatever.

Most people I've met that hunted with the 270 Win swore by it. In a lot of ways, the 270 Win is the American version of the 7mm Mauser. While those two cartridges are not at all interchangeable; they are have very similar ballistics and performance. The casing for the 270 Win is about a 1/4" longer than the 7mm Mauser, and the two cartridges use slightly different bullet diameters. However, in terms of real world performance, the 270 Win is a lot like the American cousin of the 7 x 57.
    Now that the US Army is adopting the 6.8 which is .277 inch diameter, you may be seeing more bullets in that caliber.

ACC

Boolit Master

Wish you had posted this a few days ago. I had some 270 brass i could have forwarded to you. But i resized and loaded them to 30.06 for light target loads already.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

You have yourself a great caliber! The .270 is made for the 130 gr projectile and mine Browning A-bolt shoots them like a dream. It will not shoot anything heavier worth a darn. The best load I have found is 130 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip over 48 gr of IMR 4064 which is max load. As it happens I shot a few reloads yesterday using that charge and Nosler 130 gr partitions at 400 yards. I can send you some brass and the powder is easy to find. Send me a PM if you like and remember.....130 gr even though the rest may be found, there's a reason for it!

ok but room for improvement
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	261842
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master
    Agree w/ hog tamer. I've tried to work up loads for a Frankenstein .270 I have with bullets of various weights, but the only one that really shines is the 130 grain bullet. Outstanding accuracy and terminal performance punching way above it's weight class. Invest a little time and experiment some, and I bet you will just be smiling with the .270.

Boolit Grand Master
    Three of the guys in our camp use the .270 and they shoot factory ammunition. It just plain works.

Agree with the others, the 130 gr bullet is what I would select. I may have some brass (all OF) and if I find it will PM you. I used to have a .270 until I downsized and rationalized by "armory". I got rid of the .270 because I decided the .308 was a more sensible SHTF and hunting choice for my needs (lots of military brass, good bullet selection, and better cast performer).
    Don Verna

Banned
    richhodg66, your affection for the .30-06 is certainly shared by many but I'm not in that camp; which is fine. We are unlikely to change the opinions of the other.
    The view of, ".....[the 270 Winchester] Can't do anything the .30-06 can't do better ...". could also be phrased, "The 270 does everything the .30-06 does and does it with a lighter bullet of superior ballistic coefficient"

Nobody wins caliber wars and the debate between .30-06 & 270 Winchester has existed since the introduction of the 270 Win.
    I will agree that the available selection of bullets in .308" is better than the selection of bullets in .277", but maybe that's because the .30 caliber needs more selection to get the job done (sorry, couldn't resist that one)

The .30-06 is immensely popular in the U.S.A. That popularity is no doubt largely due to its use as a primary military cartridge for decades. The .30-06 is certainly a capable cartridge. The 270 Winchester is also a capable cartridge and is largely based on the .30-06, the chief difference being the diameter of the bullet.

America has long shown a strong affinity for the 30 caliber. Even when we finally let go of that excessively long .30-06 cartridge (kicking and screaming the whole way I might add), we STILL held onto the .308 diameter bullet with the 7.62 NATO.
    We eventually went to 5.56 mm and some would argue that was too far. The current trends back towards the 6mm - 7mm territory tends to support those theories.

I openly admit that I have more than a little bias for the 7mm projectiles. There, I said IT.

I do not like long actions and the 270 Win is a long action cartridge. Nor do I care for that weird .277" diameter when the entire remaining world thinks it should be .284". But I do see the 270 Winchester to be every bit as capable as the .30-06 until you get waaaaaay out there.

Frankly I think the old 7mm Mauser is an outstanding cartridge and the 7mm-08 is even better but there's my 7mm bias showing again.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 05-10-2020 at 10:53 AM.

I’ve got brass I can send you. Give me your address in a PM AND I’ll get it out to you. My son has a .270 and while I’m not real fond of the caliber (more of a 30/06 guy) but it’s a darn good caliber and will get the job done.

I have a set of Lee 270 dies in like-new condition. PM me your address if you need them.
    Last edited by brstevns; 05-09-2020 at 05:50 PM.

You guys are amazing. I just got home and pulled up this thread and y'all's support is overwhelming. Thank you!

I never could bring myself to enjoy the 30-06 but that doesn't mean the cartridge isn't effective or useful.

The .277 diameter takes advantage of 6.5mm bc and sectional density with greater frontal area in 130-150gr common weights instead of 120-140gr common weight in 6.5.

7mm has a much better bullet selection and wider variety of weights but from what I know the 7mm-08 needs a long action to take advantage of that weight range and likewise the 280 needs to be bumped up to ai to be more efficient. I also heard, because of the popularity of the 7mag the majority of projectiles are tailored for it's high velocity. I could be wrong.

The 270 has always intrigued me and I'm excited to shoot it.
    Last edited by davidheart; 05-10-2020 at 08:19 AM.
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

Banned
    The 7mm-08 (which is a great cartridge, BTW) never needs a long action. If you're trying to stuff heavy (read that as long) bullets into a 7mm-08 casing and need greater OAL, you're beyond the weight range for that cartridge. 140 grain bullets are about where you want to be in 7mm-08.

There are excellent bullets available in 7mm (.284") and I don't think they are tailored exclusively for the 7mm Remington mag, however the 7mm Mag is very popular so you will see a lot of heavy bullets in 7mm.

The 270 is well anchored in America and has a loyal following. This is good because despite of its slightly unusual bullet diameter of .277", there is an ample selection of bullets. As others have said, 130 grains is where you want to be with the 270 Winchester.
    The 270 Winchester is to the .30-06 what the 7mm-08 is to the 308 Winchester. Both of those cartridges are based on the 30 caliber military cartridge (one long action and one short action) and are then necked down to roughly 7mm.

IMR or Hodgon 4831 is the go to powder for the .270. I have one I have reloaded for since the mid 1970's. Very accurate and easy to load for. I like the boat tail soft point Sierra bullet.
    I think I see a rip in the social fabric, Brother can you spare some ammo?
    Corb Lund

Boolit Master

PM sent and package out in tomorrow's mail.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Quote Originally Posted by HP9MM View Post
    IMR or Hodgon 4831 is the go to powder for the .270. I have one I have reloaded for since the mid 1970's. Very accurate and easy to load for. I like the boat tail soft point Sierra bullet.
    I've hunted a lifetime with the .270 & have dispatched tons of critters with it! All with 130 gr bullets & I've never been disappointed. Over the years I've owned up to four .270's at a time. Now I'm down to just my two favorites. As HP9MM said, 4831 is THE powder for the .270 & 4350 is a close second. I've used various 130 gr bullets but my favorite is the Speer 130 gr SP-FB Hot-Core. If I have any criticism it is that the .270 is quite destructive on deer meat at close-range, but then again what high-powered rifle isn't!
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

I know the local gunshop has ample supply of one powder and no other. IMR 4320. Would this work well? Otherwise I could probably go to another gunshop an hour away and fine another powder.

Have any of you used cast boolits in the 270?

Boolit Master

Never used it but have always heard the 4831 was best....I had the 4064 and got good results so I stuck with it. Not sure the .270 lends itself to cast.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

I use RL15 with 130 grain Hornady Interlock, works very well on deer and antelope. I have had very little success with cast other than gallery loads.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast