Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I could use some 270 help

Boolit Buddy
    IMR 4350 is hard to beat for the 270.IMO

The die set went out in todays mail, I did not have a shell holder to go with them. Hope that is not a problem.
    Take care in these strange times and enjoy the 270 win.

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    The die set went out in todays mail, I did not have a shell holder to go with them. Hope that is not a problem.
    Take care in these strange times and enjoy the 270 win.
    Thank you so much! I have a shell holder so that won't be an issue. You're awesome.
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

I got the brass, bullets, and reloading dies in guys! I really appreciate it all! I bought a pound of IMR 4320 from the local gunshop for $20 and had some Winchester large rifle primers. I then headstamp sorted, trimmed with my Lyman Acculine, VLD chamfered, deburred the flash holes, and carefully measured.

By cross referencing load data in a similar manner taught to me by "George" I arrived at 46.5gr of IMR 4320 and OAL of 3.250 using the 130gr Rem PSP. I'm at an average velocity of 2900, less than an inch at 100, and the rifle is very pleasant to shoot with very little noticeable recoil. I'm an extremely happy camper and I know I'll be able to get a deer with this load on the ag. depredation hunt I'm listed for this Spring/Summer. Thank you so much guys for helping me fill the freezer for my family!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200514_113231_01.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	262114
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

Boolit Master

Good report, looks like a great load. Oh yeah, nice shooting!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

I've had real good accuracy with 4350 (any of them). I bet you will too.

As you guys know I received the brass, bullets, and dies all in the mail and once again I really really appreciate y'all's help!

During the Summer this year I'm one of three hunters with a special permit to cull deer at a working farm. This farm in particular grows and preserves heirloom seeds for future generations as well as growing organic beef cattle. Deer eat through the fields and carry parasites which attack the brain of livestock.

The surrounding area contains vineyards and unhunted residential tracts. To say the deer are abundant is an understatement. We have a cull limit of 30 with no permission to shoot antlered deer.

Last night I visited the farm and spotted 7 deer in an open field, just above the garlic patches. There was no good way of getting close to them quickly so I found a solid position and laid prone. I used jbm ballistics and calculated a drop table. 2900fps, .372 BC, zero height 2.5 inches at 100. I used a golfing app on my phone (GPS Range Finder) and estimated the range at 303 yards. Settled in. And shot.

Hit just behind the right leg. The deer ran 30 yards into a blackberry and briar thicket (of course) and never came out.

I called my wife and told her to contact her friend who's husband had recently lost his job. They have four kids just like us and they were already struggling before the coronavirus hit.

I received this rifle from a straight trade. No money exchanged. I used brass, dies, and bullets given to me by you guys. It only seemed proper to give the entire deer away too. I processed the deer last night, preserving every ounce of meat, and there is an extremely grateful family she's going to today.

Thank you all for your generosity. I just wanted you to know the results of this thread.
    Last edited by davidheart; 05-17-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Boolit Master

Excellent!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Great job and a great friend you are

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I always wondered about the .270. Can't do anything the .30-06 can't do better and was already doing when it was developed with the added bonus of a much worse bullet selection.

I picked up one of the older Sears ones built on an FN Mauser action which should be a better shooter than it is. To be fair, I haven't really worked with it much, but I just can't see the appeal. The .280 Remington is a much, much better idea and cartridge making better use of a better selection of bullets too, but for some reason it has been a flop where sales are concerned.
    Less recoil and better long range performance but no, the 30-06 can do it all for sure.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Less recoil? Had a Savage 110 in 270 win kicked a lot harder then the same Model in 30/06 my cousin had.
    Sold the barrel and made a 250 Savage out of it.
    Shooting my cousins 06 did not bother me, but that 270!!! ( just can not explain what the difference was).

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Less recoil? Had a Savage 110 in 270 win kicked a lot harder then the same Model in 30/06 my cousin had.
    Sold the barrel and made a 250 Savage out of it.
    Shooting my cousins 06 did not bother me, but that 270!!! ( just can not explain what the difference was).
    Depends on the stock of course
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

The first deer rifle I bought that wasn't family owned was a 700BDL in a .270. While I was enamored with Jack O'Connor's hunting stories and "magical feats" of the .270. I found it to be superbly accurate with mine shooting most loads from 90 grains to 160gr near enough to the same POA that the sights did not have to be adjusted unless using it at extreme range or working up experimental loads. (I've also found this same POA phenomenon with particular 30/06 and .35 Whelen! Maybe its the rifles I use, the '06 case, or just luck) Since the .270Win was never been a military round, it was loaded to higher pressure than the '06; thus, it fired smaller bullets faster for a flatter trajectory. Of course as a new shooter and "loader" I tried to get every fps I could out of every load and quickly found that accuracy was far more important than velocity in an effective bullet sized .007 diameter less than the same bullet used by "Bell" to slay over 1000 elephants. My first power experiments was also with IMR4320, because that was the only powder I could get in my immediate area. I found it worked well with 110 and 130gr bullets.

I hear the discussion (argument?) that their are those that dislike "long" actions, and I can certainly relate when overweight actions are put on overweight stocks that have the balance of a bowling ball; however, for many years the .308 and .243 were offered by Winchester and Savage in .30/06 length bolt actions until they finally realized people weren't buying their cheap manufacturing methods. I too prefer any short rounds to be in a light weight rifles until they approach Magnum class (.300WSM, etc.), then these short action "wonders" become recoil "monsters" with too short chambers, too slim of barrel and too light of stock (ouch!).

My problem is I like and use most all of them, except the short Mag's, which has increased my inventory (and pocket book) over the years. Although there are better rounds for specific tasks than the .270, it will take care of 90% of the hunting and shooting I do --- so will the .30/06, .308, or 7/08. It's sure nice to have choices! My .02

I bought a .270 Ruger and had it worked so that it was somewhat better than new. I loves 130 grain bullets - especially Remington Bronze Tip. I bought a bunch of them and when I just checked they quit production of them and the ones I found on the internet are pretty pricey.

Way to go!
    Just knowing enough to do it, is not enough to do it right! -Taz

Boolit Master
    If my memory serves, I have shot 7 moose with the 270 Win using 4831 and a Speer 150gr btsp. It works very well with holes in and out. I shot one with a Hornady 130 gr about 175yds through both shoulders but it failed to exit the hide. I prefer the 150gr as it penetrates better on the bigger critters and still shoots point blank to 300yds. I don't get the argument of the 270 vs the 30/06 as there is not enough difference to speak of. And the 270 vs the 280 is a non issue as there is only .007 difference in bullet dia. and the case size is almost identical. How many different bullet weights do you need? My 270 gets only the 150gr Speer as that is all it needs.

Boolit Master

Well done, you have paid it forward
    Great
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Thank you all for your comments! I would say the 270 absolutely has less recoil than the 30/06, but that might also be because I'm shooting a 130gr bullet at 2900 with 46gr of powder vs a 168gr bullet at 2750 with 47gr of powder.

I think I'd like to try working up a 150gr load at 2800-2900 eventually, but for now the 130 works perfectly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12