Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Powder Revolvers for Self Defense

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    How about a double barrel muzzleloader shotgun cut down, barrel and stock.
    I suppose one could do it, but it is hard to not want one of these American Guncraft inline double barrel 12 gauge pistols. It uses shotgun shell primers.

Boolit Master
    Shooting cap and ball revolvers is addictive. I suggested to Roy Huntington that Wild Bill couldn’t get a strapped model in Deadwood in 1876. Mr. Huntington said it was his understanding Wild Bill chose the Navy ‘6 because he didn’t trust cartridges loaded by anyone else.

I've toted several cap and ball revolvers to the woods and to town for defense over the last 20+ years. I still do ever once in awhile when I give one of my single action cartridge revolvers the day off.

I use SlixShot SS nipples and CCI or Winchester #11 Magnum caps and Goex 3F exclusively, and have what I consider a reliable method/level of cleaning and making certain that no moisture/oil is in the chambers or in/on the nipple that can foul the cap.

Not contending that they are the best option, but all the spare Glock magazines in the world won't help someone who's just caught a soft lead roundball from a .36 or a .44 between his front teeth.
    Last edited by plowboysghost; 05-10-2020 at 11:36 PM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I've been told that it's legal for felons to own C&B revolvers, and have wondered if they could also use conversion cylinders legally. Not a lawyer & not in that boat so YAY! I like my modern toys, but C&B is also lots of fun. Just messier! (You think Unique is dirty? Heh!)

Several years back there were several articles written about adapting the stainless Ruger Old Army for this purpose. If I recall correctly, it involved shortening the barrel to 4 inches, getting rid of the under barrel loading ram, reshaping the grip to take round butt rubber grips, and some modification to keep fired caps from jamming things. Probably some other items I can't remember. I will try to find the articles. If successful, I'll try to post them or a link.

Oh, and a duplicate revolver for a quick reload!
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    I've been told that it's legal for felons to own C&B revolvers, and have wondered if they could also use conversion cylinders legally. Not a lawyer & not in that boat so YAY! I like my modern toys, but C&B is also lots of fun. Just messier! (You think Unique is dirty? Heh!)
    It really depends on how the laws are worded in each state. Some states it is illegal for felons to possess any firearm, other states it is a gray area, and some states didn't word their laws to block it.

Here in Texas, some years ago, some activists started open carrying Cap and Ball revolvers as then they didn't need a handgun carry license for it. But they were confronting the police who arrested them anyway for other reasons.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 05-11-2020 at 12:04 PM. Reason: add more info

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Felony in Illinois.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Pulled out the box of .45 molds yesterday to review what might work best in a 1858 Pietta, the ones with the smallish diameter chambers. There's several designs that should work well if swaged to .450 and then the hind end sized to slip into the chambers.

Lyman #452400 (plain base round nose 240 grain) looks promising.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12