RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Powder Revolvers for Self Defense

Boolit Buddy

Black Powder Revolvers for Self Defense

Something to consider if the local gun store is closed.

Howard

Boolit Master
    Another great video !
    You forgot to mention they can be a lot of fun , and about about the cheapest ammo cost you can find for an afternoons entertainment .
    Thanks for posting brings back a lot of good memories .

Boolit Master
    I didn't watch the video,, (too slow internet here,) but when I saw this thread,, I was immediately reminded of a local guy who killed a man with a BP handgun. He was a felon,, and knew he couldn't buy a regular firearm. So,, he bought a BP handgun,, and later used it to kill a man. (Drug deal issue if I recall correctly.) He buried the body,, but was found out & convicted of murder. He was given 20 years. I got paroled last year, after serving 20.
    I know the family.

So,, yes,, a BP handgun was and still is a viable tool for serious gunplay.

Boolit Grand Master

Thumbs up

Very interesting. I have a pair of 1860 Army Colt replicas--also Piettas--which I have purchased conversion cylinders for. Cleaning black powder from handguns, especially revolvers, is best left to those who like being filthy. I shoot low-powered 45 Schofield loads, 38 S&W Standard velocity equivalents, albeit with a 200-230 grain boolit but I would not feel naked if one of those was all I had to defend my self with. I like the Colt's feel and (slightly) better reliability. IME, a Colt BP replica will go about 10 more shots (with Black Powder, cap and ball) before fouling out than a similar Remington, but the Remington design is clearly stronger.
    One draw back not mentioned is the comparatively large size of these guns, making concealment pretty iffy, unless you go with a Clint Eastwood Style poncho.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	261838
    Smile when you say that, hombre.

Oh, for those who are interested, after all this is a cast boolit website, that boolit is an Ideal 456-401 pointy-nosed 193 grain wadcutter that was designed as a 45-70 plinker. Mine runs a bit too small for my Marlin CB 1895, and a little heavy at ~201-202 grains, but it works very well in my Pietta's.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 05-09-2020 at 10:04 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I still need to get me a pocket muzzle-loading revolver... and some real black powder!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Good video. Would have been interesting if he had extra loaded cylinders in pouches and timed the "Pale Rider Reload."

Also, a Kirst, Taylor or Howell cartridge conversion provides another useful option.

Attachment 261849Attachment 261850
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Luv your video's

I have that exact same model with a 45 LC conversion.

Still sits NIB though since I have a brace of Ruger Old Armies for shooting and I collect the 2nd Gen cased Colts for looking at.

I'd agree not the best for defense but until the metallic cartridge was perfected it was the best there was.

Lots a dead targets, game, & people, from C&B pistols.

It is said the 44 C&B is about equal to a 38 spcl. and that other guns like my Dragoon and Rugers can be powered up to 357 mag status.

My next cased Colt will be a Walker then two more Dragoon's to fill out all three models. Who knows after that.

The 2nd Gen colt's are def. eye candy and the remakes are def. not toys.

Rich
    My feed back

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-Small-anvils

I also leave feed back

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    You will never be able to compare a BP handgun to something like a fifteen shot Glock, but I would sure take a BP handgun over nothing at all.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Win94ae View Post
    I still need to get me a pocket muzzle-loading revolver... and some real black powder!
    That is funny I moved a few months ago and found a 31 cal. Brass frame Spur trigger pocket Remington Kit I must have bought in the 70's I forgot that I had .
    I need to put it together.😎

Boolit Master
    Back when I worked places where 'normal' firearms were not allowed I used to keep a 'chopped' 1858 Remington (Navy Arms, cut from 7.5" barrel to approx 5" and grip made into a birdshead). I had coordinated it with the local security folks and they agreed the 'rules' did not apply to a cap and ball revolver.

One precaution I did take was to fire the pistol at the range every two or three weeks and clean/reload it with fresh charges.

Enjoyed the video...seems totally adequate for every home defense story I read in the news...thanks for posting...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sonoransixgun View Post
    Enjoyed the video...seems totally adequate for every home defense story I read in the news...thanks for posting...
    Thanks everyone! The only thing I think about with regard to using a BP firearm for home defense (admittedly, in a humorous way) is the giant cloud of smoke that would end up engulfing your living room! I'm not sure how many fans you would need to clear it all out!

Howard

Boolit Master
    One could add the large bore single shot pistols too. It is hard to imagine more stopping power than a .69, .70 or .75 caliber round ball would have. Even those .50 caliber ones being commonly sold nowadays would still have serious stopping power. It is better than nothing when you might have nothing otherwise. American Guncrafters sells the awesome 12 gauge double barrel pistols too. Heck those monster 12 gauge pistols makes one want to carry one as a anti-car hijacker gun.

Boolit Master
    The overpressure from the discharge of a black powder Fire-Arm in your living room and night will blow out all your kerosene lamps!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    How about a double barrel muzzleloader shotgun cut down, barrel and stock.

Boolit Buddy
    Mr. Hrfunk- I have enjoyed all of your videos whenever I have come across them on the Internet and this one is no exception! As to the smoke cloud from these revolvers, I have read that ducking down after a first shot allows vision under the smoke in a closed room. Please consider carrying with only 5 chambers loaded even though the C&B revolver may have safety slots or pins, as these are not 100% effective. I reckon that as with any gun, some shooters just like the way their black powder revolver feels to them and generally works for them as the reasons they might use them for all purposes even though they could have a more modern weapon (Wild Bill is a good instance). Thanks for your video! Bob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    One precaution I did take was to fire the pistol at the range every two or three weeks and clean/reload it with fresh charges.
    Wild Bill Hickok emptied and then reloaded his C&B revolvers every night, according to legend. One must assume that he also cleaned them between discharging and reloading.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Wild Bill Hickok emptied and then reloaded his C&B revolvers every night, according to legend. One must assume that he also cleaned them between discharging and reloading.
    I have read that Hickok didn't have a lot of faith in the reliably of the early cartridges so he opted to stay with the tried and true. Also at the time cartridges were very expensive.

Today with the very limited experience for most with Cap and Ball revolvers and the limited components reliability is a major concern.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-11-2020 at 04:09 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    a guy killed another dude DRT with a remington 44 cap and ball in a louisiana gunfight in the mid 80's.

Boolit Master
    Here in NY you can have the gun but if you have any of the loading components you need a pistol permit. They are considered firearms once they can be armed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast