Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seating die deforming bullet nose

Boolit Mold

Seating die deforming bullet nose

Loading 280 Rem, but I suspect this to be true for many calibers. The stem in the seating die being designed for the long tapering point on jacket is causing a ring of deformation on the nose of my bullets. What is the best way to avoid this? I highly doubt it affects anything beyond cosmetic but I simply don’t like it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've carved the end of a couple seating die plugs to remove sharper edges, which has helped sometimes. Also, there is a practice I've heard of but have never done, in which one places some epoxy in the nose the plug and then as it starts to quicken, use a bullet of the type you wish to size, to mate into the nose of the plug. This forms a perfect match so after the glue dries, you have one that fits like a glove. Perhaps others will chime in here and confirm or give a better description. Good luck.

PS: Welcome aboard.

Might want to contact die manufacturer and explain problem to them. They have probably heard of this problem before and might have a solution for you.
    Good luck.

Moderator Emeritus
    What is your bullet nose shape? You could fill the void in the bullet seating die with hot glue using one of your bullets to set the nose profile. You could also get a different seating stem made that more closely matched the bullet profile.

Make sure you are belling the case mouth to help in starting the bullet.

Boolit Master
    It isn't the "die" leaving the cut ring, it's the seating plug. The cut ring is harmless. There's no way for a maker to design seating plugs that don't mark any bullet shape ever made. You can live with it or change bullets or modify your plug.

A dab of epoxy putty OR hot glue in your seating plug will conform to the meplat of any bullet you wish. If you chose to try that, remember to put a good layer of mold release on the bullet first; I use candle wax with total success. I hold a bullet's base in pliers held tight by rubber bands and heat the point in a candle flame until it's warm enough to melt wax and let it cool, the liquid wax will leave a very thin coating on the bullet that nothing else will stick to.

Boolit Master
    Lots of die manufacturers have different nose plugs for their dies. RCBS provided me with three different nose plugs for a couple of my dies.

Have you removed the seating stem and held it up to a bullet to see what part of the stem is making the mark?
    If not you may want to. This lets you see exactly where the issue is. It may be just a sharp edge that you can polish a bit so it isn't as sharp.
    Filling the seating stem with something works well and can easily be removed if you want too.
    Epoxy is good, A bit harder to remove than others such a wax or hot glue, which work well.
    One fellow I was reading about uses bits of paper towel or tissues. I think this has merit. Cheap, effective and easily replaced.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    yup you can use paper wetted, or epoxy.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Epoxy would be my way to go. I’ve fixed and built a lot of stuff with epoxy. However, not all epoxies are created equal. Make sure to get the right type that’s up to the job you’re doing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    What is your bullet nose shape? You could fill the void in the bullet seating die with hot glue using one of your bullets to set the nose profile. You could also get a different seating stem made that more closely matched the bullet profile.

Make sure you are belling the case mouth to help in starting the bullet.
    I’ve had todo that, with soft lead cast Boolets and sizing dies. Or when I don’t have the correct top punch. It works pretty good
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

I have a 31141 that I was having issues getting a seat plug for. I took a RN plug and squared it off and it works perfectly. I've also spun a few in the drill and removed the sharp edges if they bite. A little enginuity and it's fairly easy.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the input. I’ve done the epoxy trick when needing a top punch. I think I’ll give Redding a call and start from there. May just order some extra seating plugs to modify if need be. I am well aware that the ring is harmless, I just simply do not like it. The hot glue or wet paper ideas are interesting atleast for a temporary fix. Much appreciate the input, thank you all

I have a similar issue with 300blk. Has anyone tried JB Weld in place of epoxy?

JB weld is my go-to epoxy for doing that sort of thing.

However;
    If you go with paper towels- mix some flour in the water, and compress it up in there.
    When it dries- its harder than Chinese Algebra.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    its harder than Chinese Algebra.
    I am so stealing that line.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    I am so stealing that line.
    You're more than welcome to bro.
    I try to spread it around like some sort of Johnny Appleseed kind of thing.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I was inspired by this post and just tried out another method I heard about. I had ordered a couple extra 300blk seating stems to try to make them fit on my own but wasn't sure how. I figured WTH as they were only $2.00 each.

I read somewhere that people had used valve lapping compound on the bullet and seating stem to grind it into the shape of the bullet. In my case I was using powder coated bullets so I wasn't sure if the bullets would just wear down and not shape the stem. So I put the seating stem in the cordless drill and slathered some coarse lapping compound in it and spun it against a bullet. It did wear the bullet quit a bit but more important is that it was cutting the seating stem. After a few minutes and about 3 bullets I had a custom seating stem that contacts the bullet in a wide enough area so as to not mark them anymore. I finished it up with some fine grit compound and it seems plenty smooth enough.

JonB, thanks. I've not heard that trick before.

Boolit Master
    For jacketed rifle bullets a lot of times you can polish the inside of the stem and that should do it. I shoot mostly Berger Hybrids or VLD's and those long noses will usually not come in hard contact with the stem. However, a bullet shaped felt polishing tip coated with compound will put a nice smooth surface inside of the stem. This keeps those expensive bullet noses pristine until they go out of the muzzle.

Another consideration would be oversizing the necks. I don't run much neck tension (.001"-.002") and that helps. Shoving a .XXX" bullet in a smallish neck will compound the issue. Also a smooth ID of the neck will allow an easier seat of the bullets.

Rifle with jacketed bullets is what I'm referring to here. You stated "and I don't like it" and you shouldn't.

Boolit Mold
    “Harder than Chinese algebra”. That’s is just awesome!!! Not sure there could be any better or any more clearly understood description.

The permanent change of shape using lapping compound along with a touch of epoxy to fill in and finish the nose shape Looks like a winner to me. With cast Boolits in the single shot I am running .001” neck tension set with NOE expander plugs in a lee universal expander die.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast