Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got my first 1911!!!

Very good.
    You'll soon learn why the 1911 platform is still going strong this many years down the road.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice. Watch out, as once you get one 1911, the collection has a way of growing.

Cool. I carry a milspec every day. Check the ejector to see if it's pinned. Mine was only glued. If it's not pinned keep it in mind and if you ever have to send it in mention it and Springfield will do it for free.

No reason to have it throated unless you're going to go outside the norm for ammo. Round nose ammo or lees TC seated to 1.170 as recommended should chamber fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazlaw View Post
    I do want to look at throating the barrel. I looked inside and the lands are sharp and abrupt on the end. I think it will need a bevel.
    I have seen some videos of guys doing the throating with a tool from Brownells ($50). Is this something a handy man can do or should I go to a gunsmith? (I can rebuild an engine on a jeep).
    I had DougGuy do my barrel and had him do my spare also. My RIA 1911 will eat anything now that I try to feed it. Great work and a fair price.

Im looking for a 1911 too. I’m not a pilgrim on 1911 but most of my experience with them is GI issue or Colt manufacture. I’ve only ever bought 2 new a 9mm Commander and Gold Cup, in early 70s. I’ve had some of the clones I took on trade, never fired most of them. Now they are like scopes, everybody makes them. Somebody should write a book on 1911 clones.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    I have always wanted a 1911. But i can't justify the price for one.
    I had a different reason for posting but it may be of some help to you. There are some inexpensive 1911's out there. The folks on this forum seem to know their stuff.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=1016022

P&P posted a recommendation for H&G 68. I've got 2 of Miha's four cavity molds and that is about all I use in my .45 ACP's. Occasionally, I'll try something else but not often. Right now, I've got about 2K stocked up ready for size&lube or PC(if I ever get around to it).
    Last edited by alamogunr; 05-10-2020 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Additional Comments
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

I can second the recommendation for DougGuy's work, and it's reasonably priced too.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I'm not taking anything away from dougguy and his work. I've recommended him countless times on other websites, no need here. He has enough people recommending him.

You might consider shooting your ro before you start altering the bbl. I own 2 ro's and both are box stock/as shipped from the factory.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I bought the 45acp ro 1st. I've owned a lot of 1911's in the past and decided to go with the standard h&g #68 and bullseye powder (3.6gr to 4.0gr ladder testing) to test the accuracy of this nib 1911, it's marked NM after all. Loaded up 20 rounds of .36gr/3.8gr/4.0gr and the h&g #68 with the tried and true 1.250" oal countless 1000's of shooters have used for decades. Well 15 minutes later I had my answer.
    [IMG][/IMG]

That target is not hand/cherry picked by any means, nothing more than the test target used that day to do the initial testing with tht nib ro 1911.

That 10-shot group @ 50ft was shot from a sitting position. Table with wheels and plastic lawn chair using rolled up carboard and a towel for a front rest with a double hand hold rear support.

Liked that ro chambered in 45acp enough that I bought a 2nd ro chambered in 9mm. The 9mm is a lot harder to find accurate loads for. Took 10+ tries to come up with this load.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Again nothing more then the test target used that day (same table, chair, supports) testing reloads. This is what I consider accurate.

Anyway you might want to spend a little range time with your new ro. You might find it accurate enough right out of the box.

Boolit Master

Congrats! I get tempted every so often to buy a 1911. I don't own a single one. Have never owned one. I was issued one in the Navy and used it to get qualified on a combat handgun course the Navy made me take.

Just yesterday I was at the LGS and they had a new Kimber in 10mm on sale for $610. Nearly jumped on it. But, I don't need a 1911. My polymer guns do everything better with no fuss or modification and for less money.

Still, there is just something about the 1911.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Congrats! I get tempted every so often to buy a 1911. I don't own a single one. Have never owned one. I was issued one in the Navy and used it to get qualified on a combat handgun course the Navy made me take.

Just yesterday I was at the LGS and they had a new Kimber in 10mm on sale for $610. Nearly jumped on it. But, I don't need a 1911. My polymer guns do everything better with no fuss or modification and for less money.

Still, there is just something about the 1911.
    I agree completely with your last sentence!

That 10mm is a different breed of cat though. Not a bad cat, but one that you might not be expecting (it won't use a litter box and it claws ALL of the furniture). I don't own a 10mm myself and don't need that kinda power in a semi, but the aficionados seem to enjoy them. Though I don't own a 10mm 1911, I have played with them.

The standard 1911 45 acp is such an enjoyable pistol to shoot that I don't see a need for any other caliber. That said (I can't even tell that lie without laughing at myself) I have more 9mm 1911 styles in my safe than 45's. I'm one of those knotheads that can't leave well enough alone and usually spend almost the cost of the gun on "upgrades".

Banned

yup the range officer would be my first choice in a springfield 1911. Ive shot two of them and both ran great and shot great. Im not a big springfield fan because I got stung on a couple in there earlier days but those range officers are done right.

Boolit Master
    I got mine many years ago when Springfield was the choice for affordable pistols for building a custom (Colt's were way more $$$). When they started already putting a beavertail grip safety, extended thumb safety, and Novaks in an affordable package, I pulled out the thin wallet. That pistol was not inaccurate, but I eventually rebuilt it.

The RO is a better gun than mine was as even more of the hard work was done for a very reasonable price. Really, the only thing I would have to do is checker the front strap and under cut the trigger guard (learned how to do that too), but that's my preference.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    I have always wanted a 1911. But i can't justify the price for one.
    Have you looked at the Turkish imports?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

the 1911 was the side arm of the Army when I was in and yes I fired one and qualified with it. What they were amazed at it was the first center fire semi auto pistol I had ever fired. Since then I have shot several different companies 1911's never really found a reason to have anything different. My thoughts are if 7-8 rounds won't get the job done you should have really thought things out more. Yes I know that many like the 17 round plus capacity of some pistols but if you need that many shots and police reports points this out what did you really hit and how often. Not knocking the police just how shots do you really need? Yes I am old school and hope to never have to find out I have not enough to the the job done.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master

I to agree with the how many shots are needed , it is a good gun , proven and has still stood the test of time , glad to hear you are happy with it , enjoy it .

I’m just getting a plain jane 1911 Colt, either standard or commander for a SD pistol. All my handguns are target, except for a Colt NS 455 and a Walther PP 32cal. I only want it because I trust Colt 1911s. I don’t trust the low end clones and don’t see the money for the high end jobs.
    It does take a target gun to use at SD ranges, all you need is something you can depend on. I take a lot of harassment because I don’t own any SD type pistols or AR type rifles. I’m not unfamiliar with 1911s or AR/ Aks, etc. I know how to use them I just never was much interested in that type of firearms since I came home from RVn. Have worked on many just not my cup of tea.

Boolit Master
    Turkey produces some very good firearms because many of their factories are set up for CNC machining. Cylinder and Slide uses Turkish Browning High Power copies for their custom 9mm pistols. Even the Rock Island 1911's from the Philippines are often quite good. There are very few secrets about properly building 1911's.

Vendor Sponsor

Years ago I had a 1943 Colt, slide numbered to the frame, you could plant potatoes in the pits in the bore, and it shook and rattled like they are so well known for, it would keep 7 rounds in about a 6" circle at 50yds, and kick me in the butt for letting it get away, I traded it on a deer rifle that put a whole lot more meat in my freezer than that old Colt ever did, but I missed that ol' girl for years and years.

Fast forward to a few years ago and I came into a Remington Rand slide and I had all the parts to complete a WWII era upper, so I chose an Auto Ordnance lower, the complete lower was on Gunbroker for around $300 and I lapped the slide to the frame and built my own replica of that old Colt. Turned out very pleasing to the eye, period correct, and it groups like a match grade custom costing 4x as much. Now I don't cry over that old Colt anymore..

Edit: When I started this WWII era 1911A1 project, I tried to do it exactly as a military armorer would have done it for our boys headed for D Day, pick a slide and a frame, assemble all the milspec parts to make a working pistol and issue it to a GI, bone stock, as is, no custom work no "gunsmithing" just assemble it and function test it for safety and live fire.

The slide would not go onto the frame so it was necessary to lap the two together. It grouped well the first magazine going into 1 1/2" standing at 10yds, but it shot above the sights so I did swap in a longer barrel link which brought point of impact directly to point of aim. I don't consider this gunsmithing, they made links in various lengths just for this. I do admit to pulling back a tad on the sear spring to lighten the trigger but it's gritty and stiff and absolutely "field" quality.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150609_135931crop640_zps8jlaettg.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	295.0 KB 
ID:	262272
    Last edited by DougGuy; 05-17-2020 at 10:33 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

All depends on why you carry as to how many rounds it takes to feel "well armed".

Everyday carry for me looks like this,
    I live in rural America where there resides no gangs nor tons of drug dealers or users. Murders are rare and because we almost all carry ... not much mugging nor carjackings. Breaking and entry are a thing but not that often and when they do occur ... folks are usually at work. Night breakins are rare as everybody knows that we all have guns handy AND know how to use em. The common knowledge is that we will take care of our problems ... THEN call the law.

If I lived and worked and played in the city, where the likelyhood of encountering groups or gangs ... then my XD 40 with its 13 round count of 40 S&W , would keep me comfortable in the knowledge that with the extra mag ... I would feel well armed. Maybe with the Ruger 17 round as a hideout and backup for a New York reload.

The 1911 is no toy. It still has fangs in every chambering found. It is a heavy, sturdy and solid feeling pistol with the confidence it inspires in carrying it that lets a person know they are armed with a serious defender when an offensive position is required.

Remember ... a good offense is the best defense available. Dont ever let em see your back!!!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I always figure - if it's a bad enough day that I have to be shooting in anger, best to have plenty of ammo, so I tend to carry 4 mags (1 in pistol.) I figure if 29 rounds doesn't get me out of trouble, I should've stayed in bed that day. (Knees are shot so I can't run away very well, used to just carry 3 mags. Added one because it'll help if needed.) If things get really tense (riots, etc. and I have to go out anyways) I might well carry 7 mags, and maybe a second weapon, Seattlejust plain isn't far enough from me here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast