Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got my first 1911!!!

Got my first 1911!!!

Hello all!
    I was able to finally get my first 1911. It’s a Springfield Armory, Range Officer, full sized with case, 2 mags, holster, mag holder, and a bunch of paperwork. I did buy one extra mag-can never have tooooo many.
    This is supposed to be an entry level competition pistol. At least that’s what the advertisements say. It does have a match grade barrel and a NM (national Match) serial number. If it shoots okay, it’ll be great for my needs. I don’t plan on competition but want at least more accuracy than I’m capable of. (No need to exacerbate my ineptness!) Lol.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	48F0EA9A-DD19-4F2E-B777-A4A90ED49299.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	261833Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CCCF0DED-B4A7-4B13-9BE7-4D8EED22883E.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	261834Click image for larger version. 

Name:	222C931D-418D-4BFC-9DB2-6A25E6DBE6D5.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	261835
    Just knowing enough to do it, is not enough to do it right! -Taz

Boolit Master
    The Range Officer is a great gun, congrats on the first of many!

Boolit Buddy

I've had a GI version colt for nearly 30 years, I love the 1911 platform and it's been more accurate than I expected. That's a nice looking pistol, enjoy it.

Vendor Sponsor

You might want to have the barrel throated if you plan on loading .452" for it, very common for these to have near zero freebore from the factory. Danged fine 1911 after that!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I think you will be happy with it. I have fired several and own one. They all shot well with both jacketed and cast.

Beautiful gun, congrats!

Nice looking gun. Enjoy it.

Boolit Master
    I have always wanted a 1911. But i can't justify the price for one.

Banned
    The 1911 is an iconic platform.
    If you haven't already done so, pick up a mold for one of the H&G #68 clones (200gr SWC)

Boolit Master
    Bought my RO seven or eight years ago and until Thursday was the only CF I still had. Was in Bud's in Lexington Ky and bought a RIA two tone tactical. The RO is about as good as it gets unless you really go high end (read $$$). Mine likes the Lee version of the H&G 68, Lee calls it the 452-200 SWC. Didn't like the bevel base so milled the top down to remove it and with range lead is a 190 gr flat base. That bullet has worked well in all the 1911's in the family and if you decide to go that route don't think you will disappointed. The RO came with a good trigger but a quick trip to the local smith turned it into an outstanding trigger. There was really nothing wrong with the trigger as it came from the factory but I admit to being a trigger snob after using guns like the old HS Victor and USGI NM 1911's. I tuned mine for lighter loads to save wear and tear on my arthritic hands and wrists, running 3.1 gr Bullseye with a 10# recoil spring and a 19# hammer spring. Passed the 10K round point several miles back and if it has loosened up can't tell. Did replace the lawyer mainspring housing but that was me, didn't trust the safety lock.

The trigger on the RIA is remarkably good for a production gun, not too heavy, very smooth and reasonably crisp. It sits on my bench now being fitted with a Kimber conversions kit. Bought it just for a dedicated frame for the conversion kit, and went with it because of the trigger rather than something a bit cheaper that would need a trigger job out of the box. As a bonus front strap is grooved, extended safety, flat checkered mainspring housing, grooved trigger with over travel adjustment.

Boolit Master
    Congrats on your first 1911 & the choice you made. Those are superb guns!

As a USPSA competitor & Range Officer,, I have had the pleasure of shooting and seeing those guns a fair amount. And remember,, one of the guys who had a lot of input into the design,, is Robbie Leatham. Robbie is also known as "The Great One" BECAUSE of his competition abilities & titles.

Boolit Master

Congrats on the new 1911. I started out with one. I now have 10. They are very addicting.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    I have always wanted a 1911. But i can't justify the price for one.
    I caught this one on a sale. It was $750 plus gooberments tax cut. It was a “gear up” package. I saw several of same pistol without package all the way up to $900. Gallery of guns.com (gungenie) is a great way to shop. You can find dealers close to you and see their prices to shop. I actually didn’t use gun genie on this purchase because the local gun shop had it marked down. Gun genie orders direct from supplier to FFL dealer and they have less than normal transfer costs. Without having to stock the weapon and wait on a sale, the local gun shop can sell it cheaper because he never has to touch it. I am in no way related to galleryofguns or gungenie I just like using their website.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    The 1911 is an iconic platform.
    If you haven't already done so, pick up a mold for one of the H&G #68 clones (200gr SWC)
    I do have a Lee 200gr swc but have not used it yet. I hope it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    You might want to have the barrel throated if you plan on loading .452" for it, very common for these to have near zero freebore from the factory. Danged fine 1911 after that!
    I do want to look at throating the barrel. I looked inside and the lands are sharp and abrupt on the end. I think it will need a bevel.
    I have seen some videos of guys doing the throating with a tool from Brownells ($50). Is this something a handy man can do or should I go to a gunsmith? (I can rebuild an engine on a jeep).

Thanks guys. I’m pretty stoked.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Tazlaw View Post
    I do want to look at throating the barrel. I looked inside and the lands are sharp and abrupt on the end. I think it will need a bevel.
    I have seen some videos of guys doing the throating with a tool from Brownells ($50). Is this something a handy man can do or should I go to a gunsmith? (I can rebuild an engine on a jeep).
    You should send it to me, I offer this service, check out the FB page in my signature.. Send a PM for details.

The Manson reamer sold by Brownell's has a .4415" solid pilot on the front of it, which will be probably .001" to .0015" smaller than your bore diameter. This is just enough slop to ensure the throat may not be cut concentric with the bore. A snug fitting pilot is pretty much mandatory for throating an auto barrel if you want it nice and centered. You would need a removable pilot reamer and enough pilots in half thou increments to be able to use the tightest fitting one. Now we are talking almost 3x the $$ of the solid nose reamer.

I put enough freebore in the throat for the boolit to exit the case mouth and be held in the freebore before it engages the leade ins of the rifling. This squares the boolit up with the centerline of the bore, and holds it concentric with the center, these barrels shoot lights out when properly throated. It's much better than short freebore which doesn't sufficiently align the boolit when it exits the expanded case mouth.

Plus, you can expect it to feed any boolit style, seated out as long as you want to, which feeds much better in a 1911 than a short boolit. After throating it will feed anything you can cycle through the magazine, provided they are sized .452"

The photo is of a Range Officer, left is stock factory throat, the right one is after throating:

Last edited by DougGuy; 05-09-2020 at 10:48 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazlaw View Post
    I can vouch for DougGuy's work. I had him do two 1911 barrels for me and they worked perfectly afterwards.

Boolit Master
    I have been tempted by the RO many times , looks like a very nice gun.
    You did good!

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up the loaded edition range officer.

Ya made a decent choice for a 1st purchase.

I've owned and own a few 1911's .

Great guns. Then again not many guns i don't like.

Rich

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast