MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D Print Shot Capsules for .32 Long, .32 H&R and .327 Federal?

3D Print Shot Capsules for .32 Long, .32 H&R and .327 Federal?

To you fellas with the 3D printers would it be possible to cylindrical capsules for loading shot into the .32 (actually .31) caliber revolver cartridges? I've loaded my own using cardboard and/or gas check over powder and over shot wads, but the little .32 Long needs more capacity.
    I would think the capsule would need to be made of a plastic that is frangible and could be either flat our rounded (like a medicine capsule)on the end. One end could remain open and an over powder wad of some sort used. Thoughts?

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Great idea. I would think that scoring the capsules would do the trick to help ensure they break apart when fired. One might be able to 3D print the grooves too. Maybe even a crosshatch pattern.

Boolit Master

I have a vague memory of n old article specifying the medicine capsules that worked with various calibers, so that may be the best way to go. A few longitudinal Xacto cuts would help breakup.

Boolit Master

A nylon shot cup would be close to the material used in wads today but I suspect cheap PLA would work almost as well.
    My printer is down hard, waiting on a replacement.
    The design wouldn't be hard, just a cylinder with some "scoring" grooves built in.
    I might spare the time, if someone else isn't already working on something.
    We need dimensions of the interior of the cases, and how far will it be seated and how far you want it to stick out of the case mouth (so its OAL).
    No doubt it will take some experimentation to get the right thickness to hold up but still be tangible at the right time.
    Bulldogger

Edit: millimeter dimensions preferred in my case, easier to CAD with.

The medicine capsules would likely soften and fail if subject to moisture.

As far as size, .32 caliber handguns typically use bullets .312" in diameter, but I'd think .309" or .310" would work. I'm not sure about length, but I'll run out to the shop and look at some of my brass and cylinder lengths.
    Thanks for your interest guys.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

OK...I have .35, .44 and .45 Speer capsules on hand, so I took some measurements.

ALL calibers are 1" long +/- .005" or so (25.4 mm). This the capsule only, without the plug.

They run from .005" to .010" under nominal groove diameter; that is .350" (8.89mm), .420" (10.668 mm) and .450" (11.43 mm)respectively.

All caliber capsules have the same wall thicknesses: .025" (.635 mm).

So I think .32 caliber capsules would probably need to be around .306" (7.77 mm) in diameter and 1" (25.4 mm) in length. I do think though that for a small caliber such as this, thinner capsule walls might be better.

35W

NRA Life Member

Boolit Bub
    I think 1” might be a bit long.
    It depends on the intended revolver.
    A J frame 38 has a longer cylinder than a 32.
    My notes show 1.588” max COAL for a 36-1 and 1.436” for a 31-1.

Regards
    Russ

Boolit Bub
    But I really like the idea !
    Where do I send the M O to do a beta test ?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I was thinking of one 3D printer, but am now looking at another style, the Resin Printer. Might be able to prescore the shot capsule easily with that?

I could do the design pretty quickly with OpenSCAD but no working printer here ATM :/

Boolit Master

When I did my .32 experiment I used a 30 cal gas check over powder, filled with #12 shot and another 30 cal gascheck and crimp. They worked ok.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master

If anyone makes one, or for the 41Colt let me know. I have some #12 shot. I have a 32 Long and a 41 Colt.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    I was thinking of one 3D printer, but am now looking at another style, the Resin Printer. Might be able to prescore the shot capsule easily with that?

I could do the design pretty quickly with OpenSCAD but no working printer here ATM :/
    For whatever reason I didn't think of that. This is significant (to me) since I do have a resin printer.

Now we just need a design... I should have a little time later this week.

BDGR

Boolit Master
    I'm very interested in the results of this project. I will be intently following. My idea for 32 s&w long shot loads was to cut fired nagant pistol brass and star crimp. Your 3d plastic capsules idea is a much better choice.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1F1D698D-9D30-416C-9223-7FBEDDB11450.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	261975
    The shot capsule is a great idea .
    This is one I started for 32 S&W L making a sot case from 327 brass but have not followed through to completion.
    The 327 is necked down to .314 od

Boolit Grand Master
    I’m really not in the market for a 32 shot cartridge right now, but “one never knows, do one!” I’ll be watching this thread with interest.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Does there exist a longer case (rifle probably) that has the same or very similar head and rim as a .32 pistol cartridge?

I make .38 and .357 shot shells using .357 maximum brass, cut to just under cylinder length.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    Does there exist a longer case (rifle probably) that has the same or very similar head and rim as a .32 pistol cartridge?

I make .38 and .357 shot shells using .357 maximum brass, cut to just under cylinder length.
    The Nagant 762X38R mentioned by psweigle is 1.530 long and the 327 is 1.20 .

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1F1D698D-9D30-416C-9223-7FBEDDB11450.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	261975
    The shot capsule is a great idea .
    This is one I started for 32 S&W L making a sot case from 327 brass but have not followed through to completion.
    The 327 is necked down to .314 od
    This is good.

How did you neck the .327 brass down?

The Nagant brass might be good too, just not sure where to find it.

35W

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    To neck it down , I starting with lubed sized cases I adjusted the Lee carbide FCD to size the top of the case The floating crimp ring is hollow so you can push the case through it . The crimp ring necked it down to about .315 and then ran it into the .314 bullet size die mounted in the top station of the App a smaller sizer might be better. The FCD leaves it rough on the out side when used for sizing .
    I did this more out of boredom after seeing pictures of people running a cartridge into a carbide FCD adjusted way to deep and seeing how it necked the case down.
    I think i will try one in the bullet size ring only . I only have the .314 sizer for the App at this time. .312 or .313 might be better depending on the gun.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    dbosman, one of my projects is a database of "all known cases" so I can do searches like that, I don't know the answer yet, sorry. Hoping to get that to where I can make 3D printed dummy rounds and look for 'donor cases' easily with software, some day. If you find a case with a larger rim or thicker rim than desired, thinning it down / reducing its' diameter is doable. The problem's figuring out what case to start with!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast