WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Any way to modify a Model 39 mag to work in a Model 52?

Any way to modify a Model 39 mag to work in a Model 52?

Now that the old Model 52 is back home,
    and I recently discovered new, in the package, factory magazines aren't $35 any more- not even close.

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck converting the (still) $35 Model 59, single stack 9mm mags to fit the 52.

I'd heard that they will go in the frame and latch, but won't feed right.
    My question is if the follower and/or feed lips can be modifies for one to work.

My buddy has my 2nd one and will give it to me when he finds it.
    However; his 'gun room' looks like something you'd see on that hoarders show,
    and I probably won't be getting it any time soon.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    I suppose it might work, if you could make the weirdo plastic follower and cut the guides in the side, but you better have some pretty rad 3-D crafting skills. That follower is pretty oddly shaped.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

Im not sure the 9mm mag will be long enough for the 38 spl wadcutter round at around 1 .18. The colt mags for the 38 are a lot different follower. than the rimless cases. The rim is going to be the big stumbling block In feeding and function.I believe it will take more than just modifying the lips.

If the round fits in the body. A new follower for 38 spl could be printed on a 3 d printer to work. The plastic will work to test then make a few and use them to make a plaster mould and cast from brass or aluminum.

Boolit Master
    I found a thread on another site frequented by bullseye shooters which said that the Model 52 magazine is about .030 longer and .030 wider than the Model 39 magazine. Can you borrow a Model 39 or Model 59 magazine to at least see if it fits your pistol and while you're at it see if a wadcutter 38 fits into that magazine?
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Only the Model 39 magazine is going to fit in the magwell of the Model 52, since they're both single stack handguns. The Model 59 is a double stack handgun (14 rounds), and won't fit in the magwell of the Model 52 (or Model 39).

As for making the Model 39 magazine work for the .38 Special Model 52, I don't know. If you can lay your hands on both to make a side by side comparison, that will go a long way in answering your question.

I do know that Joe Foster designed the Model 39, 52 and 59 for Smith & Wesson. I had the pleasure of spending two days across the bench from him in about 1978, when we upgraded our 600+ Model 59's to solve some issues with the original design. S&W brought Joe back out of retirement to come up with the modifications for the Model 39's and Model 59's.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Thanks everybody.

I guess I'll get a Model 39 mag, and play around with it.

I was just curious if someone else had already reinvented this wheel in years past.
    Original mags are still out there, but to just order one- they're over $150 now days, and new #39 ones are still in the $30s.
    I'm not desperate for one, but I'm trying to beat the 'system'.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Grand Master
    I just gave it a try and the 39 Magazine will loosely fit the magazine well of the 52 Pistol and latch in place, but it will not lock the slide back. A 38 casing though, will not fit in the 39 magazine. The rim is a scootch too wide. The 52 magazine will not fit the M-39-2 Pistol that I have.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3802 (1).jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	261871Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3754.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	261872
    Last edited by rintinglen; 05-09-2020 at 05:53 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    I just gave it a try and the 39 Magazine will loosely fit the magazine well of the 52 Pistol and latch in place, but it will not lock the slide back. A 38 casing though, will not fit in the 39 magazine. The rim is a scootch too wide.
    Thanks.
    That answers my question about trying to beat the system on this one.

EVERYONE!

Banned
    Winger Ed, I feel your pain. Over the years I owned a few pistols with super expensive magazines. The worst example was a H&K P7M13. I think the mags cost more than the gun!
    The Walther P-5 mags are very close in design to the P-38 mags. The P-38 mag can be modified to work in a P-5, but it's not quite an exact replacement. Of course the difference in price is about $80

Sometimes you're better off spending the money for the correct magazine; sometimes you have no choice other than to make something.
    I think the difference between those two paths is the availability of the magazine in question. If the correct magazine is still available, it's likely worth the money to simply buy one, even if it hurts a bit.

If the replacement is really unobtainium, that's when you start fabricating. You could possibly cut the magazine lengthwise down the back spine of the mag, spread the sides, maybe form it around a mandrel, weld the cut back together, re-form the feed lips and have someone make a follower with a 3D printer...........Or you just save up the money and buy the correct one

Occasionally I'll watch some of the Jay Leno Youtube episodes that show his amazing car collection. There are times when he is restoring something extremely rare and must resort to fabricating a new part for something old and rare. If someone made one time, we can make it again; but you're going to need a fat wallet.

I just bough three 52 mags for $150 and thought I was getting ripped off. They are out there you just have to keep looking and be at right place at right time. I also just bought two new magazines for my 41s. New S&W manufacture, marked for 41, 422, 622, etc. Well they fit 41 but won’t lock in.
    Original 41 mags are gold too.