WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Disapointed with the 356404 Lyman Mold

Boolit Buddy

Disapointed with the 356404 Lyman Mold

I wanted a light 9mm for 9mm revolver loads I found the 356404 (now obsolete) for Unique Cream Puff Loads.
    The 356404 was used in 9mm and 38 Super loads. So was a great candidate for 9mm Revolver loads at just 75 grains and Medium Burn Rate Shotgun Powders listed in the Lyman books. I found years ago but never used it so I figured it was time. It should work fine in the 3rd Generation S&W semiautos as well as they eat anything.
    Was kinda disappointed as this mold should have been 75 Grains but must have been a special order or run and made longer. So bullets came in little over what the 356242 and 358242 round more weighs at 126 to 128 depending in alloy
    But does have the bullet profile I was looking for.
    I did load some with the info for the round nose 125-358242 with a start load of Unique as they seat 40 thou. deeper inside the case than the round nose of the same weight
    The 38 75 Wadcutter will be shot from a Ruger BlackHawk that is 38/357 and the 128 356404with the extra 9mm cylinder
    FYI} the 356404 was new in a Cardboard Lyman box unused mold with the #'s on the box and mold

I will also make up some 75-grain 358101 38 Special Wadcutter for some cheap good fun. All I have is some cast not sized/lubed but took a picture next to some 148-grain ones.

That's what I was looking to do in the 9mm real light bullets.
    I may just order an NOE copy of the 358242 round that has a flat front that can also be used with Hollow Point Pins.
    It starts out as 95-grain copy but is 88 with the nose lopped off to be flat and is 80 grains with the HP Pins in.
    FYI I will put a WTB add in here for a 356404 since I was wanting a hole puncher like the 45acp 452389 I have that I use in the Ruger BlackHawk Revolver prior to getting the NOE

Boolit Buddy
    I had one book that showed it at 75 grains but it was a misprint. so please disregard that post above
    All the other Lyman books I think 1971 states 95-grains as does the picture.
    But mine still cast at right under 130 when sized and lubed. For some reason.
    As even in books I have that date far back do not show it that heavy or loads for it in that weight. And I have plenty
    Unless it was a special order-run? They used to do the way back when even 2 different bullets and calibers on the same mold way back when.

Normally the pictures in the back show bullets 100% what they look like and mine is much longer

So if anyone has one of these can you measure and see what the OAL of the bullets are? As well as if the base below the lube groove is as long as mine or as short as the picture I uploaded are thanks.

Boolit Master
    Interesting. That's definitely a much deeper base band than mine has. I don't know if I have any case up to measure, but mine looks just like the one in the book.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Vendor Sponsor

Yup. That base band looks like it is 2X longer than the stock mold of that design. That mold would be interesting to look at.
    My version is like the pictures of it and weigh about 95grs depending on alloy. I use it for the 380ACP in the little Ruger. Feeds well and is as accurate as these little handguns are.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    Interesting. That's definitely a much deeper base band than mine has. I don't know if I have any case up to measure, but mine looks just like the one in the book.
    What he said. Mine casts about 95-100 grains, depending on alloy, and if I could find a reasonably priced, 4 cavity, I'd be happy as a pig in mud.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Vendor Sponsor

Number 358 404 ?
    and then the Lyman 356 404 is listed as 95grs and mine cast at or near that.
    Chill Wills