Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable Target Stand

Banned

Portable Target Stand

I need one. Last summer I never had time to shoot. That is changing this spring. I was able to inspect the local Sportsman's Club range this week and found I need to bring my own target stands.

Not wanting to buy anything, I would like to build something light enough to easily pack out to 100/200 yards and still be stable in a breeze.

Looking for design ideas??

Ken

Boolit Master
    Free standing or stick in the berm?

Boolit Buddy

Pvc pipe and some wood lath strips. Cut some extra PVC peices to replace the ones you shoot. And fill the lower feet with sand or spent primers. Or if you want to go light just drill holes to stake them down.

Google "pvc target stand DIY" and click images. Some reason i cant upload a pic right now.
    Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Dignified? I signed up for brave and courageous, not dignified!

I just use an advertisement stand like you see on the side of the road, paint if wanted and put sticky targets on them. Most are standard size and easily replaced with wire or zip ties. Small hammer puts them right in the ground.

Slim

Attachment 261505
    Last edited by slim1836; 05-03-2020 at 12:47 PM.
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Grab a real estate 'house for sale' yard sign.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

You mean steal those signs.

Quote Originally Posted by pete501 View Post
    You mean steal those signs.
    I'd rather get the ones that get left behind after a house sells, or the weather beaten ones real estate agents will give you.
    But do whatever works for you.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake McCracken View Post
    Pvc pipe and some wood lath strips. Cut some extra PVC peices to replace the ones you shoot. And fill the lower feet with sand or spent primers. Or if you want to go light just drill holes to stake them down.

Google "pvc target stand DIY" and click images. Some reason i cant upload a pic right now.
    ^this

Boolit Master
    I've been know to recycle those election signs that you see stuck everywhere. I am usually polite enough to wait until after the election tho.
    Loren
    Last edited by rockshooter; 05-03-2020 at 03:13 PM. Reason: typo

Boolit Buddy
    I use a 2x4 frame on the ground that 1x3 slot into with a 3/8 plywood face

Attachment 261512

Banned
    Jake and rmark, I like your ideas. I had thought of using signs, but it won't be for 6 months till after the election. I can ask my realtor if he has any.

Good ideas I had not thought of.

Boolit Grand Master

Some real estate , for sale , Landscaping by... , Painting by ... and other yard signs are made of heavier metal frames and are designed to be used over and over by contractors during a building project . They are known as Heavy Duty Yard Sign Frames ... try a search , there should be a supplier near you . I get one with a corrugated plastic sign mounted , large enough so I can tape 4 pistol sized targets to it . The heady duty frames are not easily blown about ...an extra brace to the ground could be fabricated if needed .

The lighter wire political signs are free for the taking but could be affected by wind ... I use a lot of these and consider them disposable .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

If it ain't real windy, a cardboard box does acceptable in a pinch.

Banned

Boolit Buddy

Woo hoo got the pic to post!

Dignified? I signed up for brave and courageous, not dignified!

Boolit Master
    A while back our club range banned all metal in the impact area due to some negligent shooters. I had been using the Caldwell stick in the ground stand that uses a 2ft by 2ft plastic backing, the same stuff election signs are made of. My buddy and I slapped a couple of these together. Just a plain old chunk of 2x4, some 3/4 dowels for the ground stakes and 5/16 or 3/8 for the uprights all glued together. Shot out uprights are simply drilled out and new ones glued in place. The current backing material is a pile cut from of the large election signs from 2008. Eventually cooler heads prevailed and metal target stands were allowed to return.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05E5F8C0-3F01-4192-9E9A-B4B670C4CFFF.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	261553

Boolit Master
    I shoot on our ranch so my stand gets driven out and it is made of steel so it stays out.

I started with the tin flywheel off an engine that had an automatic trans hooked to it. That is my base.

Next I attached an upright of thin walled square or rectangular tubing sized so another either a factory size or one I manufactured will slide into it so the upper section and bottom can be broken down. The separation capability is for easier hauling but also in case I wanted to build a different base or top section.

Now for the nitty gritty:

I used a very small cross sectioned channel iron, say 3/4” wide for my side rails to hold the target board. The channels are uprights and the grooves point in (facing each other). The top of the channels are open and the bottoms are welded onto a piece of angle iron running horizontal. The angle iron is welded to the upper rectangular tubing that slides into the upright of the base.

I have two pairs of the channel irons (4 pieces) with a strap or angle iron running across the top to keep the uprights from getting bent etc.

I use used political signs and gather them up after elections but store them out of sunlight so they last quite a while.

My upright channels are paired such that I have two spaced for a standard sign in an upright position and the other two spaced so the sign can be layed on its side. The top of the channels are open so I just slide in and out the top.

The edges of the political signs slide in the grooves of the channel irons, down from the top and back out of the top.

There is some variation in dimensions of the signs but not bad. If I did it over I might make one each of the channel pairs with some adjustment to allow for minor differences in the sizes. So far I have been able to improvise however.

I design my own targets in Excel. Mostly I use four black squares in a square cluster on white paper. A white space in between that is sized so that my cross hairs fit between the squares with a slight amount of white space showing. I call it my visual vise (a vise not a vice).

As I run my test loads out I fire a group then rotate my target backer and all and get four groups on one piece of paper.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 05-06-2020 at 08:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy
    The woman is into hanging flower baskets,and she bought these poles that are about 6' high,and made from about 1\2" round steel .They have two spikes on the bottom,and bend away at the top,and have a hook on the end.They are a cheap Walmart item, and I think they could be easily shaped to make a target stand like you need.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rmark View Post
    I use a 2x4 frame on the ground that 1x3 slot into with a 3/8 plywood face

Attachment 261512

made from scrounged lumber, easily tailored to fit any size target, recyclable, ??? what's not to like ???
    made mine two high so I could put up two targets at once.
    the replacement will have a mickey mouse like cutout just like my preferred targets so the board will last longer.
    and it's very easily transportable.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Master

Shepherd's Hooks are nice for hanging gongs on.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast