Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pitbull #4

Boolit Master

Pitbull #4

A year or so ago, my 95 lb dog (on leash) was attacked by a Pitbull mix. It wasn't too bad - I knew the owner of the dog and he called it off and they stopped fighting. A week later, my dog (on leash) was attacked by a pure Pitbull. This was a vicious battle. The Pitbull latched onto my dog's leg and would not let go. The end result was my dog got bit, I got bit, the Pitbull lost an eye, and the owner took her dog and screwed. Cost me over $600 between my and my dog's injuries.
    Last week, walking in the woods, my dog got attached again by a Pitbull - a pure evil dog. My dog was on a leash and the Pitbull charged at him. My dog put the thing down in a second (almost pulling my arm off) then the Pitbull charged again and again my dog put it down. I should have let him go - I think he might have killed the friggin' thing. And then yesterday, a Pitbull broke free from its owner and charged. My dog stood his ground and the Pitbull stopped at the last second.
    Thank goodness my dog is big, but is that what's attracting the friggin' Pitbulls? I used to give them the benefit of the doubt (it's their owner, etc) but those dogs are evil, and should be banned. Four attacks, four different Pitbulls.
    I'm a dog guy - we just put down our 8th dog in February - but those dogs are bad, very bad.

Boolit Buddy
    well I cant say its all pits are bad I have have three, out of the three only one likes to fight he has be fitted with a shock collar and will not go out the door, back yard fenced. I am truly amazed at their strength. I have a choker collar with the spicks that go into their neck its my responsibility ot maintain control of them. I have came to the conclusion that if a dog is free of its owner and coming at my dog, I will not allow him to defend himself with me holding a leash. I would invest in some pepper spray or other means to stop a loose dog. You may ask why anyone would grow attached to the breed, all of mine are lovers with humans.

Boolit Master
    I know what you're saying but this is getting crazy. I had a wolf hybrid for 18 yrs that was registered with the state, and the rules and regs governing those hybrids was insane. If my dog was smaller, he'd be dead by now.

Boolit Master

Four attacks one after the other.
    Where was your gun after the first attack?
    Don't tell us you live in an area where you can't fire a gun in self defence!
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Pitbulls get a bad rap. I’m not saying that there aren’t pure mean pitbull’s out there with the responsibility falls to the dog owner. With that being said statistically more people are bitten by small pedigreed dogs then are bitten by pitbull‘s. In particular Chihuahuas and cocker spaniels. But when you have a 7 pound and under dog nipping at your heels it could almost have a comical effect. Change that scenario around and insert a 50 pound plus dog and it becomes very serious. I spent many years as a rescue volunteer for the American bull mastiff Association I’ve had bull masters for the past 30 years. I’ve also owned and known an awful lot of people that have on pit bulls including breeders. I’ve known and had plenty of pit bulls that I would trust with mine or my children’s lives. I’ve also known a few and I do mean a few that should’ve been put down at a very early age. Pitbull’s by nature can be very independent, strong, and even the ones that are great with people can be aggressive when it comes to all the dogs. Combine that with the fact that we’re talking about a 50+ pound dog with an extremely strong bite and you can have a problem. Once again I point the finger at the owners. If you have a dog that is shown aggression towards other dogs or cats you certainly don’t let that dog run loose. Unfortunately I have certain groups of people that think it’s neat to see two dogs fight personally I think that’s disgusting But that’s another story. The only suggestion I can make is to do what I do I never walk my dog without my EDC and either a stout stick or I prefer a collapsible baton. The sticker baton serves dual purposes it can be used quite effectively in some instances toward offered an attack and in the worst case scenario if wedged between the jaws of the strongest dog it can be used to either pry open the mouth or stop the mouth from closing. I like all dogs people not so much. I hate to hear a whole breed of dogs blamed for a few right now apples. Anyway I’m glad to hear you and your dog are OK but I can certainly feel your pain as an off a lot of people don’t mind their dogs
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I used to give them the benefit of the doubt (it's their owner, etc) but those dogs are evil, and should be banned. Four attacks, four different Pitbulls.
    I'm a dog guy - we just put down our 8th dog in February - but those dogs are bad, very bad.
    I used to buy that too. Not anymore. Maybe if a dog owner really knows what they are doing and knows how to deal with and maintain control of these dogs at all times, then sure. They're probably OK dogs. 99% of dog owners aren't that skilled or dedicated to training their dogs. I do not trust pitbulls, and one that charges me or my dogs is likely to end up dead from lead poisoning.

Boolit Master

They are just like any other dog , they are fiercely loyal and they can be just as loving and I have seen bad dogs in all breeds , grew up on a farm shot lots of stock chasing mutts , oh my hunting dog would not do that no it wont no more , dog owners on the other hand just like run of the mill people are the same some are irresponsible others make the animal what it is good or bad , and whats with every one and there dogs in stores anymore , put it in the cart carry it around in their shirt , leave it home or in your car you blind then ok I can see the need , have told more then one big dog owner to back their dog away , sorry about your dog and its history with pits , but any one wants to ban one breed then ban them all , as I have had rottweilers dobermans german Sheppard and other breeds try to bite or get aggressive , maybe carry a can of pepper spray for aggressive dogs or ammonia .

Boolit Master
    I think Pitbull dogs are really cool looking dogs, but I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw one.
    Too bad they have unpredictable temperaments.

Boolit Master
    I had a .38 during the worst attack, but what do you do if you're in a park, with kids around, and...AND...in Massachusetts. I have a collapsible baton, mace, walking stick (I broke a metal hiking stick over the worst Pitbull's head - nothing). I also broke the owner's finger when I pulled its collar and her finger was in the way. You can say it's the owner all you want, but four out of four attacks were by Pitbulls. I can go back ten years or so when I had a Collie that was also attacked by a Pitbull. So, five out of five attacks. I'm sure they're loving caring loyal and all that, but my neighbor's friend had a Pitbull for 6 years and one day it walked past him and bit his nose off. I remember what I had to go through with the registered wolf hybrid that never hurt anyone. If you don't want to ban Pitbulls, then the breed has to be watered down.

Moderator Emeritus

Pitbulls get a bad rap for a reason.

Pit bulls were responsible for the highest percentage of reported bites across all the studies (22.5%), followed by mixed breeds (21.2%), and German shepherds (17.8%).

Mixed-breed dogs and pit bulls were found to have the highest relative risk of biting, as well as the highest average damage per bite. Breeds such as Great Dane and Akita were found to have a lower relative risk of biting; however, the average damage from these bites was high.

The researchers point out that the circumstances that cause a dog to bite vary and may be influenced by breed behavior tendencies and the behavior of the victim, parents, and dog owner.
    https://www.aaha.org/publications/ne...ites-by-breed/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

My pup was 132lbs at the last weigh in about 6 months ago. One of the gentlest dogs I have ever known. I carry especially around my property. Any dog comes at mine like that is dead. Sorry, I love animals but there are a few feral dogs running around. Majority of the time it is the owners fault.

Boolit Master
    OK, I retract the statement that Pitbulls should be banned. In thinking about it, I know that I could handle a Pitbull, and control it. I work with my dogs - the wolf I had was unneutered but I kept him for 18 years (not an easy thing to do). And thinking about the attacks on my dog from Pitbulls, every dog's owner was not able to control their dogs. Way too much dog for those people, and for the average dog owner. So, maybe it does come down to the owners. But that doesn't help me when I come across that situation. I don't want to shoot any dog, or hurt any dog, but I can see where it might have to happen.
    Anyways, it comes down to education, just like with guns. People take a class, buy a semi-auto, and stick it in a drawer, never learning about it, or practicing with it. They get a Pitbull without knowing what it's capable of, never really working with it.

The breed has nothing to do with it, and shame on a person who would discriminate otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

Boolit Master
    My close friend has a pitbull bitch that is as sweet and loving as they get. Unfortunately, her idea of playing is scary to other dogs. She dominated another friend's smaller dog and he responded with his teeth out of fear. The owners of Savannah, (the pitbull) both big strong people were barely able to control her when it got ugly. I snatched Blue(little dog) up and got some minor injuries from Savannah for my efforts. I had drawn my pistol by the time Stacy got her under control. Savannah meant no harm, but she was just so overpowering that Blue felt the need to defend himself and it went downhill from there. One thing that impressed me was that the pit was unfazed by really hard strikes to the head. Barring a cns shot, I'm not confident my little 9mm would've been effective soon enough. I still like Savannah, but learned it's best not to allow her to play with other dogs.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Master
    The breed has everything to do with it, and shame on a person who doesn't see that. As I said, the breed is not for everyone - wrong owner, weak owner, stupid owner, and we have 5 friggin' attacks on my dogs. They weren't poodles that attacked, but those owners should have had poodles.

We had fila which is a Brazilian mastiff. The female was very, very standoffish. She'd roll her body around the boss's legs Like a snake if she was uncomfortable with a stranger. She was mostly put in a dog room when not well known visitors.came.around. She was extraordinarily attuned to the boss's attitude so after listening to voices and how the tone of voices went she was good. But we never let our guard down. She was exhausting. But with known people she was in love.

A very great-not so great breed. 1/3 of the breed shows little or no sign of the breed attitude characteristic. The male was a 170 lb best friend of everyone he ever met. Way, way more so than a lab.

The problem its a crapshoot getting a puppy. Also, one has to -MUST! -socialize the breed with people or you may wind up with a devil on the defense. I am absolutely in love with the good side of the breed but the defensive side not so much. No way.

These breeds are very dependent on the way the owner is and is a reflection of their owner. Pit bulls not quite as.much but if you have an owner with a bad attitude you may have a dog the same. Also, you have got to be the pack leader but that is true with all dogs.

We had a 12 lb cairn terrior who was an adult when we got the male. He never outgrew being a servant to her. If he didn't get his head out of the dog bowl quick enough she'd grab his lip and drag him across the room, set him in a corner and make him stay there until she was done.

Having the filas-there were others- was an extraordinary adventure but I'll never do it again. The worst down side was they usually don't live to ten years. Losing those two killed.us.
    Last edited by nelsonted1; 04-23-2020 at 10:24 PM.

We had a pitbull when I was a kid. She loved people, just loved everyone but strange dogs or even neighbor dogs would bring on a werewolf.

My brother has a body shop. If people came around with a dog in the vehicle you'd swear you were in a pterodactyl fight. That was with doors shut and the dog in the car was.going huh? What's up?

Another dog we just adored. Maybe we are lucky. Or have been blessed.with our dogs��

Dad used to tell us some people you'll know for decades always seem to have unpleasant, almost dangerous dogs and others will always seem to have wonderful dogs. He said dogs are often a reflection of their owner

Ah, the Pitt topic. To start, some of the best dogs I have been around were Pitts, they are very intelligent, obedient and loving. Then there is the other, which I welcomed into our family. My wife brought him home at 5 weeks, things were good till around 10-11 weeks. He bit us every chance he could. Long story short, @3 years he drew blood from my wife, my 10year old son watching. I came home and did what I had to do as a husband and father. The dog nearly killed me in the process. This was 3 years ago and I still have nightmares about it. I will never own a Pitt again, I live very free, so do my dogs. We have 20 acres surrounded by 300 acres of blm land on 3 sides. Our dogs are free and not taunted, we have livestock, to guard them we have Great Pyrenees, and Anatolian Shepard’s, our house dogs are a Great Dane and a mini schnauzer. They are all different and obedient, respectful and loving. Sorry nelsonted1, some pitt, Pitt mix or bully breed are bad from birth.

Pitbulls are fun and cuddly until they're not.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast