Load DataWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Herter's Instructions

Boolit Master

Herter's Instructions

If anyone out there has a copy of the instructions for the Herter's neck sizing die, I would really appreciate a copy of it.
    I just bought a nice set of dies for my 270 and want to give these try.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Buddy
    I just bought a nice set of dies for my 270 and want to give these try.
    Scott, forgive, I sent a stack of instructions on RCBS and Herter dies and presses to a world famous reloader thinking if he went back that far the origins of terms and procedure could get sorted out, it did not happen so I put my old literature away. You have no ideal what it is like to be 'the only one' that has cases without head space and a Rock Chucker that does not cam over.

All of the Herter presses cammed over, it is also said the press that cams over is a bump press. MEANING? The directions for die use comes with the press. When adjusting the old dies some instructions start with; If you have a cam over press etc. etc. or If you have a non cam over press etc. etc.

Point; Internet reloaders have changed most of the meaning of terms to agree with the story they are telling.

Back to: I have three Rock Chcuker presses, none of my Rock Chucker press cam over, that means they are not bump presses. No one has been reloading long enough to remember.

F. Guffey

Moderator Emeritus

I kind of think Herters sold more than one type of neck size die. Ole George's business pattern had him offering many different types/styles of things over the years. While I can't find what all was offered, I did find this old thread that mentions two types.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...rters-neck-die
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 05-09-2020 at 01:05 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    Scott, your box arrived today. I'll get the instructions off to you via email.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Scott, your box arrived today. I'll get the instructions off to you via email.
    Awesome, hope everything arrived in good shape.

Thanks for the instructions.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Buddy
    I kind of think Herters sold more than one type of neck size die.
    Herter sold economy dies, one was the neck sizing die. Many reloaders purchased economy dies and failed to read the description. The shoulder and case body was not finished.

I have neck sizing dies, I do not use them but I have them JIC.

F. Guffey

I have the Herter Catalog, the paper used to make the catalog was not quality stuff. It is too late to recommend ordering the catalog; in the beginning I thought the catalog was worth the small investment.

RCBS has a special order catalog; all a reloader has to do is order the special order catalog is ask for it, I believe the RCBS special order catalog is worth the investment in time.
    Last edited by fguffey; 05-08-2020 at 11:40 PM.

Boolit Master

Pressman

Thanks for the instructions. They were most helpful, and you were correct, I have the dies with the removable insert.

Thanks again
    Scott
    Scott

Boolit Master
    All any instructions about die set-up can do is get a reloader in the right ball park, close enough to make ammo that goes BOOM! Fine tuning both sizing and seating dies for best work has to be learned by "cut and try".