WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingPBcastco
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about the draft.

Boolit Master
    The last 3 years of the draft let you join whatever branch you wanted as long as you hadn't got your induction notice even if you had a low lottery number. You still got placed at the "government's convenience" according to the needed billets. The military was trying to fill ALL the billets that were open since the draft was coming to an end. After the draft we got a bunch of folks that were given the choice of jail or military service since Viet Nam was winding down. Even though I was in college I didn't get a deferment from my local draft board. Didn't want one anyway. It was my turn to do my part. Turned 18 in boot camp.

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    . After the draft we got a bunch of folks that were given the choice of jail or military service since Viet Nam was winding down.
    We had a couple of those in Boot Camp, but I never met any assigned to the Air Wing out in the Fleet.

I'd heard that several years ago, they quit doing that.
    Weapons systems have become so incredibly lethal, expensive, and complex, there wasn't room for 'problem children' any more.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I had one on my fire fighting crew that fell asleep leaning against a bulkhead while holding a fully charged 3" hose. That was the second I knew I wasn't staying in.

When I was 17 going on 18 in 73, My number was low. I thought about going into the Navy. That year I was given my card as 1-A and waited to see what was going on during the last years. Before I enlisted in the Navy, They stopped the draft I was change to 1-H that I think was Military Standby.

Boolit Master

I was 17yrs when I enlisted in the USN. 3 days after my March birthday. My Dad signed for me and brought down my Hospital BC.
    Reported in right after July 4th. Had to bring a Xerox of My H.S. Diploma.
    So I never registered for the draft.
    My little brother registered for the draft in Feb 1974 at the Post Office. Or so My Dad told me.
    He was killed on My Motorcycle 3 months later.

2nd Brother registered in June 1965. Enlisted in the Navy in June 1966, somehow He ended up in the army. KIA Sept 1967

Oldest Brother USN Pilot, KIA in Jan 1968.

We paid enough.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Some guys volunteered for the draft so they could get the 2 years over with and get on with their lives. Much more common before Viet Nam than during.

To answer the original OP question, I received my draft notice in June of '67, right out of high school. When I went for my physical I passed the Navy office in the same building and stopped to look at the Navy poster on the wall, I had been thinking about joining the Navy anyway. A Petty Officer 1st Class looked at me and asked if he could help me. I said it was too late and held my draft notice. To this day I have never forgotten his words and continue to use them as a life lesson. "Son, come on in, its never too late!" Four years in the Navy and 18 months off the coast of VN. All Good! Steve
    Just another homesick Texan that shouldn't of left in the first place!
    Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club - 11/69 to 6/70 & 9/70 to 5/71
    U.S.S. Ranger (CVA-61)
    U.S.S. John R. Craig (DD-885)
    NRA Life Member

Moderator Emeritus

Walks. Yea you did and thank you and everyone else that served. My year was the first to register for Selective Service in '78. After working with folks that were there and seeing some major issues they had I decided I wasn't ready for the military. Kinda wonder what life would have been like if I had joined but I knew I was going to college.

Boolit Master
    Problem children, yeah we had a few on my ship. quite a few never completed their enlistments. Usually got a discharge "for the good of the service". Attitudes and fights. Had one in our engineroom and he was always late for watches and the first to take off. Was told very bluntly to shape up or we'll ship you out. Which is what they did,when they found pot in his locker. BCD and out the door. Navy didn't want and druggies period. Frank

Boolit Master
    Not everyone who was drafted went into the Army. When I was at the induction center in Oakland all the draftees had to line up against the wall. Every 5th one became a Marine. I wasn't on that side of the hall.

Boolit Grand Master
    My dad had an experience like Rich/WIS. Joined the Navy in '31. Did his time, attained the rank of Bowswains mate, and then entered civilian life. Dec. '41 came around and he went to re-enlist and wanted his old rank. The Navy recruiter denied him, but the Coast Guard recruiter, sitting at the next table, said the CG would take him on at that rank. He spent most of the war in the North Atlantic. At some point, while literally at sea, he was almost arrested for not registering for the draft. A clerical error easily rectified, but the attentions of bean counters never seem to end.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    Still carry my draft card from 1971
    Me Too !
    It's dated Sept. 5 , 1967 and the lady who issued it to me said to carry it with you at all times , when we need you we will call you . She never called me back and said to stop carrying it ...
    If they call I'm still ready to serve ...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I had to register in 1969; 2S for two years in college. Lottery drawing in 1971 —- fixing to go advanced ROTC - my number was 356. That was the end of that! But still have my card for sure —- 1H.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by daloper View Post
    When I was 17 going on 18 in 73, My number was low. I thought about going into the Navy. That year I was given my card as 1-A and waited to see what was going on during the last years. Before I enlisted in the Navy, They stopped the draft I was change to 1-H that I think was Military Standby.
    I was a year ahead of you with a selection number of 320. I wasn't going anywhere. I asked an Uncle, recently returned from Nam as an AF Officer if I should consider it. His reply was classic, "You were given a gift and would be a fool to refuse it". He meant the gift was the high draft number.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I never signed up for the draft. I was seventeen during Vietnam, when I enlisted. One of the best moves I’ve ever made in my life. However, I remember a lot of guys, who had been drafted and enlisted in the Navy to avoid going into the Army. Most really heated everyday life.

Got my number in 73 all turned away.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master
    I still have mine from 1957
    Frank G.

Banned
    I wonder if conscription would be successful in modern times, given that Congress has an 80% + disapproval rating across all Americans.

Boolit Grand Master

Around 1980 a classmate went awol from Army just after basic. They knew where he was and sent him his discharge papers in the mail ( dishonorable). I ask a recruiter once about it and he Just said we arnt here to baby sit.

The jail or military still goes on. In 2002 my wife was killed by a girl joining the reserves after graduation that year. SHe got a sweet deal thru the courts so she could still join. First words out of the prosecutors mouth were Shes joining the Army they will straighter Her out.

Quote Originally Posted by dangitgriff View Post
    I wonder if conscription would be successful in modern times, given that Congress has an 80% + disapproval rating across all Americans.
    It wouldn't be necessary.
    In modern times, the need for a few million people in uniform is no longer needed.

In WWII, they'd send a hundred bombers- each with a crew of ten on a mission that can now be done
    by 3-4 planes with 1 or 2 people driving each one, cruise missiles, or planes flown by kids sitting in Nevada.

A modern invasion force would have about 10% or less the number of troops as was needed in the past.

Modern warfare is now, 'run what ya brung'.
    By the time new troops could be called up and trained, and new equipment built--- the war would be over.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 05-10-2020 at 02:46 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast