RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BPCR Brass Cleaning Solutions for a Tumbler

Boolit Buddy
    Hmmmm..., never thought it could get so complex or expensive. I have a big Lortone rubber-drum tumbler for the big stuff, and a little Thumbler's Tumbler for small lots of pistol like 44-40 & 455 Webley.
    I just use cheap bulk long-grain rice (0.29/lb) and a big blop** of Meguiar's polishing compound from the local car-parts store. Turn the tumbler on in the garage at bedtime, next morning they look like new.
    When the rice gets too black, I just throw it away and pour in some new. Guess I'm not having nearly as much fun.....
    **Blop: highly technical measurement. Note that metric blops are smaller than American.

Boolit Buddy
    Hogpost,

Interesting. Do you use any water with the rice and Meguiar's polishing compound? I'm guessing not since I assume that would soften the rice.

Wayne
    NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Boolit Buddy
    Nope, no liquid; and not-quite full drum, 3/4 or a bit more, to ensure good circulation. Must admit I do spend some time poking the rice bits out of primer holes, but I'm never in a hurry anyway, and it gives me something to do while listening to good Dixieland music.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogpost View Post
    Nope, no liquid; and not-quite full drum, 3/4 or a bit more, to ensure good circulation. Must admit I do spend some time poking the rice bits out of primer holes, but I'm never in a hurry anyway, and it gives me something to do while listening to good Dixieland music.
    thank you for making me feel better!! I too use rice and a (metric) blop of polishing compound in a drum tumbler - that is when I have been shamed into wanting shiney brass, most times I just settle for clean and have found nothing better than citric acid in a little cheep ultrasonic cleaner to get the blackpowder crud out of the innards of my cases

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Hogpost View Post
    Hmmmm..., never thought it could get so complex or expensive. I have a big Lortone rubber-drum tumbler for the big stuff, and a little Thumbler's Tumbler for small lots of pistol like 44-40 & 455 Webley.
    I just use cheap bulk long-grain rice (0.29/lb) and a big blop** of Meguiar's polishing compound from the local car-parts store. Turn the tumbler on in the garage at bedtime, next morning they look like new.
    Yup. Interesting.
    When I got my first Springfield 1873 and then the Ruger #3 I loaded both with smokeless powder and then tried BP. Up to that point I had only shot BP in muzzle loaders. So now I had this new problem. Much dirtier cases than I had experienced before. I tried to clean my BP soiled brass like I did everything else, in the Vibratec with walnut and polishing rouge. After a few firings I noticed something. Red dust and dry BP fouling dust starting to mix and build up on the inside of the 45-70 cases. It was hard and caked on. That had to be fixed.

What followed were the years of the bottle brushes chucked in the electric drill, soapy water and then a good tumble after letting them dry. It was a pain but I was shooting Black Powder and loving it.

Then about 2001 the wet cleaning with ceramic media saved me.

I clean them wet because wet is what I evolved to and works for me best.

So Hogpost, this works (dry) with BP cases? Your cleaning BP cases dry?
    Hmmm, if so, that is interesting.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 05-18-2020 at 11:56 PM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Yup. Interesting.
    When I got my first Springfield 1873 and then the Ruger #3 I loaded both with smokeless powder and then tried BP. Up to that point I had only shot BP in muzzle loaders. So now I had this new problem. Much dirtier cases than I had experienced before. I tried to clean my BP soiled brass like I did everything else, in the Vibratec with walnut and polishing rouge. After a few firings I noticed something. Red dust and dry BP fouling dust starting to mix and build up on the inside of the 45-70 cases. It was hard and caked on. That had to be fixed.

What followed were the years of the bottle brushes chucked in the electric drill, soapy water and then a good tumble after letting them dry. It was a pain but I was shooting Black Powder and loving it.

Then about 2001 the wet cleaning with ceramic media saved me.

I clean them wet because wet is what I evolved to and works for me best.

So Hogpost, this works (dry) with BP cases? Your cleaning BP cases dry?
    Hmmm, if so, that is interesting.
    Chill
    I clean mine wet with the citric acid and ultrasonic jewellery cleaner - nothing beats that for getting the gunk out of the innards - 10 to 15 minutes in the ultrasonic, a quick dry blow with the air compressor and they done - then if I might be embarrassed by them not being new brass shiney then I will use Hogpost's rice and polish plan to finish off - maybe 20 minutes in the tumbler gets em like new on the outside.