Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington 1858 and ROA; how many shots without cleaning?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Check out www.geojohn.org this is the best advise,I can shoot 50 plus rounds in my ROA without cleaning maybe more??
    Sir, thank you so much for this link! I am not into revolver BP (muzzle loading) yet, trying to learn as much as possible. From what I found, this is the most comprehensive manual about shooting these revolvers.

I always felt that sharp edges on chambers is not the best solution, and slight chamfering them is the way to go. I was especially concerned about chain fire, and was presently surprised that chamfering is effective way to (almost) eliminate chain fire. On top of that, chamfering improves accuracy, and even reduces ramming force when seating bullet.

Author does not recommend cleaning revolvers with warm water and soap. Also, he states that lube in front of bullet helps nothing, but rather makes things worse regarding chain fire, creating mess by spreading lube everywhere, making revolver slippery and difficult to handle.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onty View Post
    Sir, thank you so much for this link! I am not into revolver BP (muzzle loading) yet, trying to learn as much as possible. From what I found, this is the most comprehensive manual about shooting these revolvers.

I always felt that sharp edges on chambers is not the best solution, and slight chamfering them is the way to go. I was especially concerned about chain fire, and was presently surprised that chamfering is effective way to (almost) eliminate chain fire. On top of that, chamfering improves accuracy, and even reduces ramming force when seating bullet.

Author does not recommend cleaning revolvers with warm water and soap. Also, he states that lube in front of bullet helps nothing, but rather makes things worse regarding chain fire, creating mess by spreading lube everywhere, making revolver slippery and difficult to handle.
    Well like as said before, everyone has there own option. People have used lube over the cylinder's ever since these pistols were first invented. They also used hot soapy water for cleaning as almost all do. I gest that author
    knows more than all the people that preceded him. For me I will continue greasing the front of my cylinders as I have done for 40 years & cleaning with hot soap & water. I still have my first cap & ball revolver that I have had all those years. It shoots better today than when I
    first bought it.

JMOHOP Fly
    Last edited by Fly; 05-20-2020 at 08:57 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12