RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vertigo anyone had this and permanent cure?

Boolit Master

Vertigo anyone had this and permanent cure?

I have been dealing on and off again with Vertigo for more than 10yrs. Some years I only get it a couple times and goes away and I forget I've even had it. Last two years it seems every Spring it hits me hard. have seen a few Doctors and nothing other than a few head movement exercises helps. I just wish I could find a permanent solution, at this point would consider surgery. Started yesterday mild episodes. Beautiful day out today and woke up with it, can't seem to do anything without it coming on.
    Thanks for any suggestions!! first time I've ever posted looking for help.
    DWD

Boolit Master

Proper Hydration - Divide your body weight in half, then that is the number of ounces of water you "should" drink in a 24 hour period. I know how hard that is to do. Coffee is terribly dehydrating and can add to a hydration problem. I don't know what part of the country you live in, but have know some who have had Lyme's disease that have had horrendous issues with vertigo. Sometimes it's tough to find a doctor who can evaluate the cause properly.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    About ten years ago I had it pretty bad a couple of times. It happened a couple of years in a row. I had a lot of tests done and finally ended up going on allergy meds on an every day basis. Been on them since them and haven't had an episode since then. First, see an ear, nose, throat doc. If that doesn't help, see an allergist. Hydration as posted above is good also. Good luck.

I have it. Benign positional vertigo. I get episodes about twice a year but am unsteady pretty much all the time. If I'm doing a lot of repetitive tasks like stooping to stack firewood, I can feel it coming on. Feels and looks like the world is losing its vertical hold. About the only thing to do is take a break and lye down. I think the hydration is a big part of it, that seems to be helping.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfadan View Post
    I have it. Benign positional vertigo. I get episodes about twice a year but am unsteady pretty much all the time. If I'm doing a lot of repetitive tasks like stooping to stack firewood, I can feel it coming on. Feels and looks like the world is losing its vertical hold. About the only thing to do is take a break and lye down. I think the hydration is a big part of it, that seems to be helping.
    Wife has it, in the left ear, we used the Epley maneuver done by a physical therapist to deal with it at first. AFAIK, it isn't fixable, but there are several variations on the Epley maneuver that can be done at home. Check with your doc, and see if that's an option for you? We have to be careful with my wife because she's already had a spinal fusion at C6-C7, and needs another up higher now, but we found the Semont maneuver works better for her. There are others, as well. In her case it's caused by debris in the hearing canal landing on the little fibers that give you yours sense of balance. The maneuver moves them to a part of the canal with fewer fibers. If you have the same condition (sounds like it, from your description) one of these will work for you and let you take care of it yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    I have it come on 1-2 times a year. I am 66 and it didn't start to become a problem until the last few years. MD's are not much help, they just give you a drug which I cannot recall the name of but after getting a prescription I read that it can, in some cases, make things worse. A doc sent me to a physical therapist at our local hospital and she did wonders for me. My wife was with me and she put me through the paces and she showed my wife my eyes and what to look for. It really did work. Too many docs including the chiropractor I go to, normally do one basic procedure. This lady had several depending on where the "rocks" were stuck if in fact that is your problem.

I know when I get it I was a mess. I could sit still and any movement just made me sicker than a dog. I now have two different sets of exercises if I feel something coming on. My wife knows what to look for in my eyes - kind of.

Boolit Master
    Guys I REALLY appreciate your comments! square butte I've never heard anyone tell me coffee is dehydrating and I drink my fair share, about 1/2-3/4 of a pot a day. Going to start downing the water always thought i did a good job but will try putting more in. Will ask Dr. about testing for Lyme disease also. I have definitely learned to recognize when its coming and to sit down. First couple of years didn't know what was going on. I was hauled off from work in a stretcher twice back in those days.

Boolit Buddy
    Could be Endolymphatic Hydrops (Muniere’s syndrome). My wife has it. Your symptoms are very similar.
    Not only coffee is dehydrating-any caffeinated beverage is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endolymphatic_hydrops

Can also be brought on buy to much alcohol. Just what my doc said. Guilty as charged.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master

Alcohol is also very dehydrating. I can usually knock mine out with just a few days of concerted rehydration, but mine is probably milder than yours - Electrolytes added to water will speed up the process for me - helps move the water into the tissues faster
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    Water and mineral levels. Migraine side effect; even if you down get a headache.

I call it the boating feeling like your out on a boat all day; at night in bed still feels your out on the boat.

Eye, nevus, and inner ear. Balance controlled be human body.

God Bless !!

Teddy

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy (punchie) View Post
    Water and mineral levels. Migraine side effect; even if you down get a headache.

I call it the boating feeling like your out on a boat all day; at night in bed still feels your out on the boat.

Eye, nevus, and inner ear. Balance controlled be human body.

God Bless !!

Teddy
    I had this problem. I was eating at the bar after fishing for over 6 hrs. I told my buddy I was going to get a Migraine. The bartender said hang on. He brings me a 7up and salt shaker. Put a whole lot of salt in that 7up. Then drink it. My vision cleared up. Very fast and no Migraine.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    I had a bad spell of vertigo, turned out to be caused by an ear infection and fluid in the ear.

Boolit Master
    Guilty of more Alcohol than normal last couple of weeks since being laid off. Went from having a few beers every couple weeks, social drink at the neighbors to a few beers every night. My wife and I always try to drink plenty of water and we never have soda in the house. I was also told their was not a "simple" fix. Trying to find a "root cause" just seems like every spring in happens more than rest of year. I could also include my partaking in more beer drinking as the weather gets nicer and outside more from IL winter. Going to go on the wagon, watch my diet and drink as much water as possible. I'm always amazed at how many have experience with this and no real fix.
    Thanks and God bless to ALL!

Boolit Master

I do not get vertigo but dizzy which is the feeling of falling (makes no sense to me either) I have a damaged nerve in right ear and load low frequency sounds can trigger it . Those fools with the BOOM BOOM car stereos are the worst can be well over 100 feet away and trigger it. Other things can be a noisy commercial air conditioner, some diesel engines, a bass drum, and driving with the widow open. The last happens with that deep thumping sound it rarely lasts long now but in years past lasted days once triggered.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Moderator Emeritus

I was having issues with head movement like in winding mountain roads and cutting the lawn on ride on with tight circles. Got tests and think doc said crystals in canal and cure is worst than disease. Basically told me watch what I do. Works so far. When I start feeling it I stop. Good luck. I never knew the amount if hydration you should have but do know it brings on headaches and potential migraines if I am not hydrated enough.

Boolit Master
    Firefly: google Tullio phenomenon
    Loren

I had a doctor told me it was often crystals or actual thickening of the fluid in your semi-circular canals.

For about 3 months some 4 years back every time I was laying down and turned my head to the right someone would "fling" the world.

Everything would spin around me.

Eventually I learned to lay still when it happened, close my eyes then open them. Realise it is my body tricking me, rely on my other senses and ignore that one. It did slowly fade. Lots of people recomend seasick pills but they did nothing for me.

Figure out if you can exactly what movement causes it to trigger and try to avoid it, or move slower.
    Accept that when the world is spinning it always is spinning and your ears are fooling you, ignore them.

Boolit Buddy
    Menieres disease here. I thought I was having a stroke. Right ear feels pressurized, rings all the time. Dr says too much salt in diet can cause it. In my case its not salt but soy and dairy. If I eat any I get an ear ache a day later( from the pressure increase) tha last for three days. I am not allergic to soy or dairy according to allergy test but figured out for myself what was causing the problems. By the way, asthma gets real bad when in eat soy or dairy. Antihistimes work for me, helps with ear pressure and asthma.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockshooter View Post
    Firefly: google Tullio phenomenon
    Loren
    Yes that is what they called it . Mine started about 1993 after 8 years working with very noisy tools with full hearing protection I see in 1998 they found this I had never heard of it Superior canal dehiscence syndrome . Tests show I have a damaged nerve in right ear being work related they wished it was congenital . I ended up having to transfer to quieter work place and limit some loud sounds Shop vacuum used to bother me not much anymore .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast