Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kake cutter

Kake cutter

Trying to figure out what to use to make a kake cutter for 45 acp. Need suggestions and/or source for correct size tubing for making one. Thanks all for your help.
    Snipe CG-21

Use a fired 45 colt or 454 casull case, drill out the primer to fit a roofing nail shank with a piece of dowl on it to use as a plunger to push the bullet out. That's what I used.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    45/70 necked down and flash hole drilled out.

Boolit Master

either of the above will work. I also use a system of simple letting the cake cool and pushing the bullet out the bottom of the cake. worked for me, james

Boolit Grand Master

I made mine out of brass tubing and tygon tubing. for 45 cal a piece of .500 od x .015 wall thickness gives a ID of roughly .470 swage down one end to .455 id and a 2' long piece of tubing on other for a handle. In use cut bullets free and and let them push up out the tip of tube. Mine are 4 1/2" long tubes. Use your case chamfer tool to sharpen working end, sharpen inside and it will push hte lube tighter into the grooves.

Moderator Emeritus

a 45 rifle case, a nail, and a piece of Dowel.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Cutter-Photos
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Use a 45-70 case and drill out the back (primer ) end and put in a Push rod. solder on a ball on the end of the rod and then put a handle on the case body. Then you can push it over the bullet and pop the bullet out one handed. I have used this sine I was taught it about 50 years ago.

I'd use a 45-70 as well. Drill out the primer pocket...insert a nail with a nail head so you can push the boolits out...then put a wood block on the spike part so you can push on it without hurting your fingers/hand.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I made one out of aluminum rod. Drilled out to the unsized diameter of the bullet. I turned down the OD of the cutter very thin, and beveled the mouth, for easy insertion into the lube cake. I also put knurling on it, for enhanced grip. It works as a push through. Next bullet in, pushes the last one out. It's for a T/C 45 cal Maxi-ball.

Boolit Grand Master

I size my tubing down to .005 / .008 bigger than the bullet. and out the heavy bevel on the inside this makes it easier to slide over the bullet and the inside bevel pushed compresses the lube in the grooves.

Boolit Buddy
    Go to any golf course maintance shop and get a couple of used 1/4 in coring
    tines used on their coring machine. Or go to any place that supplies the golf
    courses and buy them new. Be sure to get the hollow tines. Then heat the tine
    to anneal and cut off a little at a time till you get the dia. that you want. These
    tines are tapered and the size will get larger as you cut. I used a drill bit a couple
    of thousands larger then the bullet as a guide. when you get the size you need
    sharpen on a belt sander and a round file to take off the burrs on the inside. Then
    reheat and cool in water to reharded the tine. Buy a few of the tines as you can
    make any size cake cutter wanted up to 50 cal. These also work for cutting wads for
    shotgun shells or 45/50 cal filler wads. As these tines are tapered the bullets or
    wads will slid up the tube and just fall out. It takes me longer to type this out then
    it takes to make one. The plus is if you make a set they will last forever if you only
    wack them with a soft mallot.
    webfoot10

Boolit Buddy
    45-70 case with the head cut off. Why push the boolit back out when ya can just keep running them thru one after the other? Gonna mess up a case by drilling out the flash hole, so why not mess it up right?

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I made mine out of brass tubing and tygon tubing. for 45 cal a piece of .500 od x .015 wall thickness gives a ID of roughly .470 swage down one end to .455 id and a 2' long piece of tubing on other for a handle. In use cut bullets free and and let them push up out the tip of tube. Mine are 4 1/2" long tubes. Use your case chamfer tool to sharpen working end, sharpen inside and it will push hte lube tighter into the grooves.
    I use a system that's similar to this. Brass tubing is sold using shrink wrap on card stock and it's sold for hobbies. You can buy it in 1/64" graduations and wall thickness is usually .014", as well as metric sizes if you do the conversion. It's hard to not find a size that'll work for what you need. The tubing comes in 12" lengths and I've bought them from Amazon and Walmart; I usually cut the tube in half and give one of the pieces to a friend.

In order to cut down on the mess, I don't push bullets all the way through the tube, where the bullet nose picks up lube from the base of the bullet in front of it. My brass tubing is 6" long and I cut a smaller diameter wooden dowel rod to 6 1/2" long. Then at the top end of the dowel rod I wrap electrical tape around the dowel rod, until the tape is built up to a diameter that won't allow the dowel to pass all the way through the tubing, but the dowel is even with the bottom of the brass tube. The procedure goes something like this. I place the sharpened end of the cake kutter tube over a bullet that been hardened in wax, I push the kake kutter down through the wax. Then I lift the kutter with the bullet still inside, move over to a sheet of either wax or parchment paper, then I push down on the dowel rod end with the tape on it and the bullet pops out. It may be a little slower than a constant stream of bullets passing through the kutter, but those bullets pick up all sorts of wax along the way. With the dowel rod the bullets go in then right back out, there's no chance to spread wax so it covers everything.
    "We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)

I went the cake cutter route early on in my casting career and soon gave it up along with my attempts at exotic lubes that ranged from brick solid to sick dog dung runny. I adopted a 50/50 mix of bee wax and oil (Neets Foot, canola, peanut, olive, mazola in decending order of preference) with enough lanolin to make the stuff sticky. Bullets are lubed in a block and, when cool, pressed out base first. Faster than any lubricator/sizer and bullets fly without leading up to 1700 fps.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

I just made a kake cutter for my 356242 boolits for my .380 reloads. I copied the one the guy made on youtube. I found a fired .357 shell was expanded enough to fit over those .355 boolits. A wine cork for a handle, drilled out the primer and glued in the empty shell and used a nail to push the boolits out of the shell once lubed. I had to reduce the circumference of the nail head to get it to easily slide in the empty shell. I'm looking forward to trying this soon !!
    Ohio Rusty ><>

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cutter2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	264396Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cutter1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	264397
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Boolit Master
    I also drilled a 45-70 case. After a while I soldered a fender washer to the rim. I didn't drop it so often after that...
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Mold
    What would you use for 45/70 bullets?

Vendor Sponsor

Look at post #14 - Dan Cash's post.

removing bullets from a cake of lube does not have to be even a little messy. Zero.

Cake cutters make a clean, easy job into a mess.

To not have to use something to cut the bullets out of the lube:
    It does require a good lube that will allow you to push the bullets through the cooled off lube cake and out the bottom.

Just saying, .....in case anyone would like to avoid a messy chore.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resizeDSCF3953.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	264432Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resizeDSCF3949.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	264433Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resizeDSCF3955.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	264434Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resizeDSCF3956.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	264435
    Just pour the lube in around them.
    let cool.
    push them out hanging off the edge of a work table.
    they are perfect - nothing more to do except to except to break up the lube and remelt the lube in your old coffee maker.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

Nope, don't even break up the lube. Simply put new boolits in the holes and pour in a little more lube. Let cool, punch out, and repeat.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    A while ago I made these.
    Inside is angled so the boolet would just push out.
    Worked well.
    Attachment 264472

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast