MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 788 Remington

788 Remington

After a bunch of errands today, I swung by a gun shop on the way home. I found a Remington 788 in 30-30 Winchester, and it followed me home in a hurry. I haven't seen one of them around here for a long time. It should make a great cast boolit gun, and should be lots of fun to work with. It is in nearly new condition. Do any of you have this gun, and if so what have you found works in it? I have a bunch of stuff loaded for my lever guns so I will have something to try anyway. I think there are some 311316's, some Lee 30-150 FP, and probably some RCBS 30-180 FP's loaded out there.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    That gun has a 10 twist, so keep that in mind. Try for 1800 fps max for the time being. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

Nice find, The 788s with 2 peice bolts for rimmed cartridges bring a preimum price when purchased from gun sharks.I never owned a 30-30 but my first center fire rifle was a 788 .243 and have owned a couple of .223s
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Felix, doesn't the Marlin 336 in 30-30 have a 10" twist too? I haven't checked one for a long time. I'll keep that in mind as I work up loads. I'll need to get some more dimensions from the gun too. The last batch of lead I came across had a full bar of Cerrosafe in it, so maybe I'll make a chamber cast.

Nope, 12 twist as the Winnies. That Remmie is an oddball. Other Remmies have various 30 caliber twists. ... felix
    felix

Banned

I think the Marlins might have a 10 twist. What did you have to give for the 788 if you don't mind me asking? I have one in 30-30 too and if all the sudden they're collector items...........

Very well could be. Where is the Marlin Junkie when we need him, the other Pat! ... felix
    felix

Quote Originally Posted by NHlever View Post
    After a bunch of errands today, I swung by a gun shop on the way home. I found a Remington 788 in 30-30 Winchester, and it followed me home in a hurry. I haven't seen one of them around here for a long time. It should make a great cast boolit gun, and should be lots of fun to work with. It is in nearly new condition. Do any of you have this gun, and if so what have you found works in it? I have a bunch of stuff loaded for my lever guns so I will have something to try anyway. I think there are some 311316's, some Lee 30-150 FP, and probably some RCBS 30-180 FP's loaded out there.
    WHOPEEE!!!!!! GREAT FIND!!!!

Mine found me in a pawn shop in April 2003 for $200.00 OTD.

It loves the SAECO 315 over 19.0 gr IMR 4198. Groups right around 1" @ 100 yd. Have to size the nose to .300 and leave the rear .310.

Numrich has reasonably priced replacement mags for the .30-30 now also. Originals were bring $125.00 and up on e-prey, but Numrich has then for under $30.00.

Hang on to that one.
    Yance
    Fariview, NC

http://outawaysforge.wordpress.com/

http://www.thefcbg.org/

There's a fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

Boolit Grand Master

I still have my 788 in .243... Bought mine in Chatanooga, Tennessee in 1979. THE most accurate small bore rifle I have ever owned.

Boolit Grand Master
    NHlever :

Seems like I remember reading that the extractor on the 788, 30/30 was prone to breakage.

Some had problems with it, some didn't ? ?

If you find parts, it may not be a bad idea to pick up a spare and put it back in your parts box.

Enjoy your rifle !

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Pat I. View Post
    I think the Marlins might have a 10 twist. What did you have to give for the 788 if you don't mind me asking? I have one in 30-30 too and if all the sudden they're collector items...........

I gave $425, and that is probably too much, but it is very clean, and I've been keeping my eye out for one for about 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Yance View Post
    WHOPEEE!!!!!! GREAT FIND!!!!

Mine found me in a pawn shop in April 2003 for $200.00 OTD.

It loves the SAECO 315 over 19.0 gr IMR 4198. Groups right around 1" @ 100 yd. Have to size the nose to .300 and leave the rear .310.

Numrich has reasonably priced replacement mags for the .30-30 now also. Originals were bring $125.00 and up on e-prey, but Numrich has then for under $30.00.

Hang on to that one.
    Thanks for the heads up on the magazines! I did ask where I bought it if there might be extra mags with it, or if they had an extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    NHlever :

Seems like I remember reading that the extractor on the 788, 30/30 was prone to breakage.

Some had problems with it, some didn't ? ?

If you find parts, it may not be a bad idea to pick up a spare and put it back in your parts box.

Enjoy your rifle !

Ben
    I had heard that about the early 722, and 721 Remingtons, but hadn't heard it about the 788 in 30-30 so thanks for the heads up on that! I guess it would be a good idea to always feed rounds from the magazine instead of having the extractor pop over a round in the chamber.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I've always fancied one of those, well done, I hope you enjoy it.

As to 788s, they rarely hit the shelves here in Australia. I finally found a mint 22/250 a day after I purchased a nice post 64 Model 70 in 22/250.

A month or so ago, I bought a really good 788 in 222Remington from a friend and a day later I was offered a real nice 788 in 22/250. Amazing! It never rains, but it pours! I bought it anyway.

I have an old 303 P14 sporter with a stuffed barrel. I might put on a second hand target barrel and chamber it to 30/30. The twists are usually 1 in 14 1/2" which is probably a bit slow.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by NHlever View Post
    I gave $425, and that is probably too much, but it is very clean, and I've been keeping my eye out for one for about 15 years.
    That is fair. I sold a 788 308 LH a month ago for 500.

In Remebrance

Brownells has an adjustable trigger for the 788 now.

Bret, Thanks for the heads up on the adjustable trigger. There was an article that I saved in a "Rifle" magazine years ago about modifying one, but a factory adjustable trigger would be nice!

Well, I passed on a .222 Savage 340....... just barely that I saw at a gun show this past weekend. Now all I need is a .222 model 788 to go with my 30-30. The Savage had a very shiny reblue, but was a bit overbuffed. I was glad that I had the money on hand when I saw the 788.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought one in 308 for my stepson at a gunshow and when we got it home it wouldn't extract. I got to checking around and found someone in Ca. that had the parts. Since then I think Brownell's carries the extractor. It's not hard to install.
    223tenx
    Pete in WV

Boolit Master

I was at a small gun show about 2 months ago where one dealer had 5 788s. They were priced between $400 and $500 and all were in nice condition. Prices on his other guns seemed reasonable so I figured the 788s were priced at the going rate. Wish I could have bought one of the 2 30-30s he had.
    Chuck

Banned

Even though I have one and think it's a good gun isn't it funny that once something you wouldn't have looked twice at when available becomes unavailable you just have to have it? Human nature I guess. If Savage had any sense they'd bring out one of the lower grade 110s in 30-30 but if they did the things would probably sit on the shelves.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast