Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not bees but Asian Hornets

Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    Bumble bees are furry never seen a furry wasp. And I'm not sure about wood bees being furry. BUMBLE BEES ARE GOOD POLLINATORS PLEASE DONT KILL EM WE NEED EM
    Bumble bees are highly respectable creatures. They sting - respect them! They wouldn't go for wasp or hornet bait so they are safe.

Yeah, this big hairy wasp thing that that looks like a giant bee - I don't know what it is. I don't kill them either. I don't quite pick them up in my hand to take them outside. They do after all, have a sharp end. Heck, we have these giant bugs about the size of a finger (and smaller ones) that get trapped in the outside sink. They flippin bite when I try to rescue them! So I use a stick.

Talk about having small hands!

This is one of our Weta species. Some of them have smaller bodies but way bigger heads - with jaws to match!

I can't seem to find a picture of this hairy wasp I'm talking about.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

Back to the original post.
    Wonder if something like elbow macaroni could be broken up and screened to make suitable shot.
    The sharp edges and velocity should do quite nicely.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    clay balls, get them good and dry, pretty hard but self destruct on hard impacts, use a buffer to help it make down the bore?

Dosent clay contain silicates sounds hard on the bore
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Yes, I use a shot cup or wrapper around the shot in my shotshells, solves the issue

Boolit Buddy
    If that is what they are talking about, we get them here every summer, and have a bunch of them here now. It's really interesting and kinda fascinating at the same time, to watch these things carry off a live locust that is over twice it's size!

Boolit Grand Master

Cicada killers have been around here for a long time and I don’t know how anyone would mix them up w/ a “murder hornet”. The only thing that’s ever bothered me about the cicada killers is their territorial behavior. They seem to have guards at the edges that do just that. Having to walk past said guard multiple times throughout the day can be off putting. Never been stung but I sure don’t want to be. They are large and I’m allergic so it would most likely mean a trip to the hospital.

It would be nice if the cicada killers would start killing the lantern flies. Been infested w/ them over the past few years. Another great present from China that have decimated crops. If you don’t know what a lantern fly is you may at some point if you are younger. They expand their range every year and the devastation expands w/ them. Between them and them gypsy moths this year there is a lot of dead trees.

dragon, if a Epinephrine self-Injector would help and you're allergic enough to make getting to the hospital in time iffy, you might look at getting one of those. Not cheap though.

Boolit Buddy
    Dragon, you should carry an epipen (or two) and a couple of benadryl. Anaphylactic shock can kill you before you get to the hospital.

Epinephrine self-Injector = the generic name for Epipen, fwiw. Definitely a good idea those. I am allergic to wasps so if one of those things hits me I'll NEED the one I carry in my bag of goodies...

Boolit Buddy
    The "guards" are males and as such can't sting. The only person I ever knew stung by a cicada killer had captured one and was trying to get it out of the net. Bam! Its the paper wasps and yellow jackets that bother people. That and bees.

Wasps are very intelligent, polite, and helpful. They get out of my way when I am gardening. They eat flies and other pests. They do not drown in my water pails or other container, unlike other insects, and they eat flies that get stuck to the sticky tape. Nothing but good words about wasps from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Wasps are very intelligent, polite, and helpful. They get out of my way when I am gardening. They eat flies and other pests. They do not drown in my water pails or other container, unlike other insects, and they eat flies that get stuck to the sticky tape. Nothing but good words about wasps from me.
    I agree with what ya say with the exception of Asian yellow jackets and hornets they are a diffrent situation. In all my years i never had problems with dirt daubers and only a few times with those red wasps. Catching one in your shirt while on the bike is probably comical to other drivers watchin ya. Kinda miss those ornery missouri bugs. I guess i long for the ole days

Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    I agree with what ya say with the exception of Asian yellow jackets and hornets they are a diffrent situation. In all my years i never had problems with dirt daubers and only a few times with those red wasps. Catching one in your shirt while on the bike is probably comical to other drivers watchin ya. Kinda miss those ornery missouri bugs. I guess i long for the ole days
    I caught an African yellow banded wasp/hornet on my inner wrist under my jacket sleave cuff elastic while on a bike. The sodding thing injected me until I could bring the bike to a stop but revenge was what I had in mind while I slowly pealed the elastic cuff back. Then the damn thing flew away. That hurt me the most!

Anyway, I still had to ride home with that burning in my wrist. I may have cursed that wasp thing to death. Hopefully. Other wasps I don't feel. Except that furry giant bee like wasp. I felt that one but only a mild bee sting like burning. I did catch one on my chest on a bike once. That hurt. I think I developed an immunity after that one.

The wasps around my place don't seem to bother us, as many as there are. These are paper wasps.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    I caught an African yellow banded wasp/hornet on my inner wrist under my jacket sleave cuff elastic while on a bike. The sodding thing injected me until I could bring the bike to a stop but revenge was what I had in mind while I slowly pealed the elastic cuff back. Then the damn thing flew away. That hurt me the most!

Anyway, I still had to ride home with that burning in my wrist. I may have cursed that wasp thing to death. Hopefully. Other wasps I don't feel. Except that furry giant bee like wasp. I felt that one but only a mild bee sting like burning. I did catch one on my chest on a bike once. That hurt. I think I developed an immunity after that one.

The wasps around my place don't seem to bother us, as many as there are. These are paper wasps.
    Best thing ya can do is turn em into little wasp burgers they cant sting ya if there aint nothing intact. I used to work at a bee farm and when one of those little females get under your suit thats all ya can do. Once they sting ya then no since in killing em because they will die anyways because there rearend stays attached to ya. With a wasp they can keep on stinging unlike a bee

Quote Originally Posted by Milsurp Junkie View Post
    Dragon, you should carry an epipen (or two) and a couple of benadryl. Anaphylactic shock can kill you before you get to the hospital.
    Yep, I almost found out the hard way. I got stung by 2 yellow jackets and within 45 seconds I was loosing consciousness. I managed to call 911 and the first thing I did was give them my location before I passed out. I came to after a shot of Epinephrine from the paramedic and I remember him telling the ambulance driver that he better hurry because my B/P was only 50/30. You better believe that I don't leave home without my Epipen.
    Last edited by murf205; 08-31-2020 at 04:35 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Good plan! Modern cell phones do have a GPS built in, but you'd want to say "anaphylaxis" quickly should you need more Ephedrine, during the 911 call. Better yet, don't get stung, if possible. Same here on not leaving home without my epipen.

I agree wholeheartedly with the don't get stung theory but those #@$%& yellow jackets hide their holes very well. If you don;t see them coming and going, you will never know they are there. The nest that got me was in some 6" tall grass. The funny thing is, I have been stung all my life with nothing but "ouch" effect until that day last summer. I have read that getting older has a negative effect on immune systems.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Unfortunately, those with serious allergies will be doomed with few exceptions if and when the Giant Asian Hornet gets established.

But a lot of folks formally not allergic to bee and wasp stings will also be at risk because of the nature of this latest invader.

As this thread has evolved some claimed they already had this pest in other parts of the US. That is simply not correct. This pest has never been here before and it is in a class of its own. There is a cousin of it in Continental Europe and likely England but even it is a far cry compared to the one here in Washington State and it is not here in the US yet.

The State Dept. of AG just recently caught a live invader hornet to place a tracking device on to find its colony but the fact is we are entering the time they impregnate their young queens to go forth and start new colonies next year. Simply put the cat is out of the bag!

These hornets will wipe out our native predator wasps, destroy honey bee colonies and will be a great public safety menace. Our society is in for a big shock when they find out how the authorities played this danger down as they were too focused on Covid and not enough about this Hornet.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast