Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not bees but Asian Hornets

I think you Bee shooters better switch to copper solids, one of these Hornets wounded could charge.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    None here yet but the news says they're in the US. May have to step up to a heavier "bee" load for these babies. Wonder if a food chopper will chop rice into smaller chunks for slightly longer range? Then, will have to go to the .45 Colt for a magnum payload. I've shot bee loads in the .45 Colt so that shouldn't be a problem.
    Just thinking ahead fellers./beagle
    I believe that I read somewhere that when killed, these hornets release a hormone that alerts other hornets of a threat and attracts them to the dead hornet's location.

You might just want to leave them bee (you see what I did there? :P).

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I just got off the internet watching a praying mantis eat a Japanese Hornet(murder hornet). That Hornet never had a chance.
    Pound for pound, the praying mantis is about the badest predator on the planet.

If they shared the world, and were the same size as a velociraptor- they would have eaten them too.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    I believe that I read somewhere that when killed, these hornets release a hormone that alerts other hornets of a threat and attracts them to the dead hornet's location.

You might just want to leave them bee (you see what I did there? :P).
    That chemical release is pretty much across the board with the “dinger bugs” because it calls their buddies to the fight!

The yellow jacket trap with the pungent chemical you use for bait is a synthetic form of their fight chemical and that is why it is a good idea to put it out early before they get to flying in the morning. Also sanitation as you dispense it is important so as to not attract them to your hands etc. I wear disposable latex gloves and vigorously wash any utensils that come in contact with the bait.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Maybe I'm just not a nice guy but if I run into any of these or any other nasty stinging critters I prefer chemical warfare. If raid doesn't work I'm betting I can find some other poison that will. Gasoline from a weed sprayer works pretty good on yellow jackets and you can light it if needed.

Boolit Master
    Actually, heat is a weakness with the Giant Asian Hornet, seriously!

In Japan their honey bees lure a hornet scout into the hive, then block the entrance. They all at once pounce on it encasing it and begin beating their wings. This raises the temperature to above 115 degrees F and generates excessive CO2 in the middle of the “ball”. The honey bees die at 122 degrees but the murder hornet cooks at 115. Several honey bees die in the process as well but to the hive it is a smaller price to pay than to allow the scout to go back and bring it’s “buddies” and wipe out the entire colony.

This is all fine and dandy in Japan but our bees have no experience with this adaptation. It is my understanding that the Japanese bees are nowhere near as productive as ours.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Lol Lol Lol There is a reason why they haven’t been here in 200 years. Simply because, they could not survive in this climate. It’s amazing how many people faithfully follow the media, and believe every word they say. I’m surprised no one wonders why these killer hornets have never been mentioned before. They are the same as Covid toes. Lol lol Lol

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

I saw hornets on both sides of the Atlantic. Up here in Canada they are larger than that half-dozen on someone's palm. They also have blaze orange spots here. In my experience, they ignore humans. If the asian "killer hornet" has different colors then it is a different species. As to the load for them, millet should work fine. I would even forego the shot container and load a full case of it on top of a stack of wads and a reduced load, like 20 gr of HS6.

Boolit Master
    More media B.S.. Made up stories to excite the gullible like so much 'news' today. If they were a threat to honeybees there would not be any honeybees in China but there are. If they were a threat to man there would not be 1.5 billion Chinese.

As a former beekeeper I know that regular honeybees are motivated to attack by the scent of a crushed comrade. Did anyone notice that the 'killer bee' phenomenon seemed limited to areas with high incidence of malaria where many people are using quinin? I was once mass attacked by regular honeybees that focused on my head where I was using a quinine based hair tonic. I switched brands and there were no repeat occurrences.

"If it bleeds it leads' still remains the motto of the 'news' media.

Supposedly Asian bees evolved into developing a method to fight the Asian hornets by swarming and heating them up. North American bees supposedly do not have such ability.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_...ive_honey_bees
    My problem with the linked above picture is that Asian hornets depicted in the Wiki article have none of the yellow/orange stripes, while those in the news stories have orange stripes typical to North-American hornets. Something does not add up.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Maybe I'm just not a nice guy but if I run into any of these or any other nasty stinging critters I prefer chemical warfare. If raid doesn't work I'm betting I can find some other poison that will. Gasoline from a weed sprayer works pretty good on yellow jackets and you can light it if needed.
    Great minds think alike!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

A tiger torch works as well.

Boolit Master
    That's better! Farcebook has a post that had been photoshopped, showing the Hornets long enough to extend from one side of the palm to the other. They were laid across the hand as shown in the photo. Those shown are large enough, they don't need "enhancement"!
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !

Rev Al - got another spare 'hornet' for me?
    Whatever!

Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

In my parts we have this black and yellow striped furry hornet or bee looking thing which I thought was a bee because it was furry. One day I swept a bunch of sawdust off my saw into my hand and as I closed my hand I felt a prick and burning in the base of a finger. It dropped the dust and out crawled one of of these furry 'bees'. Still thinking it was a bee I took it outside and let it go. OK, so I now know it was a hornet (the fact that it did not lose it's stinger in my finger was a clue) but these things are not aggressive and the sting did not hurt much but then I'm basically immune to wasp and hornet sting anyway. Some wasps I don't feel at all. Bee sting on the other hurt plenty bad!

I only bother to kill wasps and hornet (whichever they are) because they don't belong here and compete with our indigenous fauna. I'm going to be baiting them this year.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Rev Al - got another spare 'hornet' for me?
    I hope I'm wrong, but I think he passed away not too long ago.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Ed - Yea, I forgot that. Couldn't afford the gas anyway but - woulda been fun.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    In my parts we have this black and yellow striped furry hornet or bee looking thing which I thought was a bee because it was furry. One day I swept a bunch of sawdust off my saw into my hand and as I closed my hand I felt a prick and burning in the base of a finger. It dropped the dust and out crawled one of of these furry 'bees'. Still thinking it was a bee I took it outside and let it go. OK, so I now know it was a hornet (the fact that it did not lose it's stinger in my finger was a clue) but these things are not aggressive and the sting did not hurt much but then I'm basically immune to wasp and hornet sting anyway. Some wasps I don't feel at all. Bee sting on the other hurt plenty bad!

I only bother to kill wasps and hornet (whichever they are) because they don't belong here and compete with our indigenous fauna. I'm going to be baiting them this year.
    Bumble bees are furry never seen a furry wasp. And I'm not sure about wood bees being furry. BUMBLE BEES ARE GOOD POLLINATORS PLEASE DONT KILL EM WE NEED EM
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast