RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My S&W 52 has finally come home

My S&W 52 has finally come home

Years ago, I bought a unfired Model 52-2 from a life long friend, who'd bought it as a novelty
    from another guy who'd bought it as a novelty and neither of them ever fired it.

I kept it a few years and shot it several hundred times.
    All factory original: It feels like everything in it is running on ball bearings and has a 1 1/2 pound trigger.
    (This thing is so accurate, Stevie Wonder could hold a 2" group with it.)

Several years ago, I thought I was more or less done shooting.
    In thinning out the safe, I sold it back to my friend, who never fired it after that either.

A couple years ago, I got back into loading & shooting, made the best deal I could-
    and yesterday--- the Model 52 is back home.

Life is good, and I'm happier than a dog with a new stick.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Yeeee Hawww !!
    Well done
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

I have competed well in some bullseye matches with mine. I load the 358-158-RF bullet backwards seated flush to the case mouth with 3.2 gr. W-231 and then crimp them with a Lyman taper crimp die. This load shoots great at 25 yds.
    DRB #2276 President's Hundred 2021

I bought one new in early 70s when I had target pistol fever. Got wound up on pre 64 Win 70s and got rid of target pistols. Just bought a M52 and a couple m41s in last year or so and haven’t got to shoot them much yet. I do have 400 WCs loaded up for it.

Boolit Master

Very nice gun. Congrats on it getting back.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    I like that pistol and it has an interesting story behind it and.... it sounds like a great trigger .

Boolit Grand Master
    A man who owns and regularly shoots a Model 52 S&W is a serious shooter... this is not a gun for dilettantes and those who buy them and leave them in the safe are just caretakers until a real shooter comes along. I say this as a guy who has a mint Model 52-1 in his safe and who has not shot it in well over 25 years. My only defense is that I inherited it from my Dad, but I must join in the chorus chanting, “We are not worthy, we are not worthy!”

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    A man who owns and regularly shoots a Model 52 S&W is a serious shooter... this is not a gun for dilettantes and those who buy them and leave them in the safe are just caretakers until a real shooter comes along. I say this as a guy who has a mint Model 52-1 in his safe and who has not shot it in well over 25 years. My only defense is that I inherited it from my Dad, but I must join in the chorus chanting, “We are not worthy, we are not worthy!”

Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 05-07-2020 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Duplicate post
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats!

I sold my 52-2 in 1993 and I am still kicking myself. I have never shot another handgun as well as I shot that one.

Boolit Master
    A buddy showed me his Model 52. It was one of the first issue that had a setscrew to lock out the double-action option on the trigger. I had never heard of the original option before. I looked it up and apparently that option was discontinued not long afterwards. Just wondering if yours has the option?
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have one, which is darned hard to reload for, but which is the most accurate repeating handgun I've ever shot. (Saving, perhaps, an FA .454 I once had the pleasure to shoot a few rounds out of.) Still, the S&W 52 will shoot 2-3"groups at 50 yards. I got mine cheap, relatively, because a previous owner had drilled and tapped the frame to mount a Red Dot sight. The major fly in the ointment is the high cost of spare magazines. The best advice I can give you is to sit down before you start looking for them. I got one from an individual here in the S&S section here, it was rusty and a little worn but it works. Congratulations on a lost sheep returning to the fold.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Yes, the magazines sell for about $100 each.
    DRB #2276 President's Hundred 2021

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    A buddy showed me his Model 52. It was one of the first issue that had a setscrew to lock out the double-action option on the trigger. I had never heard of the original option before. I looked it up and apparently that option was discontinued not long afterwards. Just wondering if yours has the option?
    Mine is a later '-2' model and is single action only.
    There's a over travel adjustment screw behind the trigger, but it won't go to double action.

Years ago, I'd bought a 2nd new factory magazine for it when they were $35. retail.
    My buddy is still digging around in his stuff to find it.

Its been raining so much, I can't get to the range.
    Its down a dirt road and stays muddy for a day or two after it rains.
    If ya leave ruts in it, the range shack has a shovel you can use to fill them in, but I don't want to work that hard.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    Well done. I have read about the 52s but never held/shot one. Hope to run across a fair deal on one someday.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    Well done. I have read about the 52s but never held/shot one. Hope to run across a fair deal on one someday.
    Good luck on that, you'll love it.
    Casting & reloading brings the price of shooting one down to about what you'd pay for premium .22LRs.

Digging around, I found that gun show prices on one are about 25-30% less
    than what ya see for them on Gunbroker.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    I certainly don't fault Smith for dropping the double action option. If I had one I never would shoot it double action anyway. By the way how's the trigger pull?
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    Congratulations, l too went full circle. It was the first target auto l ever owned because they shot well right out of the box. I sold it so I could buy a match 1911 in 45, and to get good, You had to learn shoot a 45 well. I got another one a couple years ago. They have their idiocyncracies, like a 355 (9mm) groove and triggers can take work to get to B.E. weights of 2.5#. They like hollow base wadcutters best and chambers aren't supported so you can't hotrod them without blowing out the base of the case. Loading cast boolets into just any case can result in a case bulge at the bullet base. And those won't feed. Wadcutter brass has 2 cannelures on the case midspan. As a gage, a 23/64 .359? drill bit shank will slide further into those cases. +P are a no go. 2.8 be, 3.2-231 are good . Oh and they have to be seated absolutely flush to the mouth. But you guy knew all that right? Hope this helps someone new enjoy a really neat pistol.

Boolit Master
    I bought a beautiful H&G mold specifically designed for the 52 a few years ago. Now I just have to find the gun to go with the mold.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master

Sweet. That is a nice gun. Maybe someday I'll buy one.

And I love it when a gun finds its way back home.

You motivated me, I took my 52-2 out to the range yesterday and put 50r through it. Beautiful, smooth, and accurate as always. I don't shoot it a ton, but everytime I do I wonder why.
    You will love it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast