Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Question from a new wanna-be caster

Boolit Buddy

Question from a new wanna-be caster

So, I've been collecting everything I need to start casting, been doing a lot of reading and haven't come up with what I have.
    I found an old ceramic cast iron dutch oven that the bottom is completely void of the ceramic coating, badly rusted and pitted, I've started cleaning with Evaporust and plan on leaving it pitted for my smelting.
    My question is, Am I asking for trouble using this pot with partial ceramic coating on the sides? and should I grind/sand the bottom to get rid of some of the voids, this pot will only be used to clean up the lead to be made into ingots, Thanks in advance for your knowledge.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Buddy

Not sure if the ceramic would cause an issue or not, ill let someone whose "done that" answer that.

I just wanted to remind ya Harbor freight has cheap dutch ovens that work good for smelting.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Dignified? I signed up for brave and courageous, not dignified!

I wouldn't worry about it.

Molten Lead won't be a problem with rust pits.
    If any ceramic comes off, it'll float to the top anyway.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll give it a shot and report back if anything weird happens.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Banned

Just make sure it is structurally sound. Heat can cause a fracture and let all the lead out fast.

Boolit Grand Master

With cast iron start out slow with heat and increase slowly. fast heat expansion can cause it to crack. I wouldnt worry about the coating it will float and be skimmed off. I would work out doors the first 3-4 times as it may produce smoke until it burns off.

With a bigger pot make sure your stand is strong enough to support it and a full load of lead at temp. materials loose strength as they heat up

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Remember your PPE gear is not a place to cheap out and yes you need it. And if your doing this outdoors watch the weather. You dont want it to rain in the middle of your operation. Or the tinsle fairy will visit you! And make sure your burner can handle the weight.

Have fun.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm in AZ what's this thing you call "rain" lol, I'll be out in the porch with a fan if need be, the burner I plan to use is large and low, should be plenty strong and yes I'll have my PPE, I weld and have been burned by slag so I can imagine what hot lead will be like.

The only worry I might have with your enameled Dutch oven is where the enamel is gone and how bad is the pitting.
    I have an old cast iron tea pot. I used to use it on the wood stove, kept it full of water and as it evaporated it kept the house from being as dry.
    It got to where it leaked. It looked fine inside, a bit of rust but apparently some of the pitting went clear through.
    With hot lead a leak might get exciting real quick.
    Leo

Boolit Master

I would preheat the pot the first time around just to drive out any water that may be trapped underneath the ceramic.