Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder consistancy

Boolit Master
    Larry,
    My normal load of 15.5g plusor minus.
    Point 1g of Reloder 7 gavv the following stats with normal Non powder coated boolits sized .258 but gas checked and NRA 50/50 LUBE:Es 40 avg vel 1682 sd 17
    & ES 49 avg vel 1670 sd 21.
    Both these last two 5 shot groups were around an inch. All groups are 5 shots in all stats posted.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Grand Master

That seems like an excellent load. I, just this morning, shot a 100 yard 10 shot .8" group with my target M70 308W using a 30 XCB bullet with RL7 powder. It is a very good powder for very accurate cast bullet loads as you point out. As I stated earlier comparing your load with the similar load listed in CBH #4 the use of non-GC'd bullets (designed for GC use) at that velocity puts them "over the top". Just too much velocity for them.

Unfortunately some still believe too many old myths. In this cast that "box stock" rifles can't produce equivalent velocity and pressure that "pressure test" barrels do. Many think that a faster twist barrel of the same cartridge will always give higher pressures....again, just isn't always so. I used to believe those myths too because that's what I had read by all the "renowned" gun writers and "experts". That is, until actual testing proved it "just isn't always so".

As to the comment; "I doubt Shuz is getting that velocity from a bone stock Savage 116 WW, unless he has chrony data to back it up? THAT DATA IS FROM a universal receiver with 24 " barrel, 1-14 twist and would have been chambered to a SAAMI minimum spec chamber. So everything is smaller/less from a std factory rifle, less velocity, less pressure than the 13.6K psi shown in Lyman." We see, from your chronographed results that your "box stock" Savage M16 (22" barrel with a 10" twist?) that you got within 9 fps of the quoted CBH #$ similar load. That's pretty darn close.

Again, if you're just shooting 50 or 100 yards then Bullseye, Unique or Herco might be better powders with your cast bullet sans the GC.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Shuz I think it all boils down to post #8. As I said if you don't want to use dacron switch powders I'm still trying to figure out how you're baking for one hour at 550 deg F, personally I think you need to calibrate your thermometer and maybe your chrony too!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Shuz I think it all boils down to post #8. As I said if you don't want to use dacron switch powders I'm still trying to figure out how you're baking for one hour at 550 deg F, personally I think you need to calibrate your thermometer and maybe your chrony too!
    I'm fairly certain that the temperature was close to 550 because I compared this thermometer with another similar to it and the both gave the same reading. The chrono is an Oehler Model 33 that has served me faithfully for over 35 years.

Boolit Grand Master

Well I guess if you are shooting 2 MOA and happy with it, carry on.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Oh, I do get the occasional 1MOA or better 5 shot group, but it/I am not consistent. I had heard that powder coating could eliminate the occasional flyer that I often get, but so far in rifles, powder coating is just a PITA. Now in the. 44 mag, powder coating is very worthwhile, at least for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12