Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Single action trigger

Boolit Master

Single action trigger

I have an old Uberti Remington 1875 .45 Colt that has some trigger trouble. I've always stayed away from tinkering with trigger sear engagement because I understand that you really need to know what you're doing to avoid messing them up badly.

I bought this gun used probably 10 years ago. It was part of a matched pair. The guy was selling them single or as a pair (cheap), and the trigger was really wrong on the other one, so I just bought this one. Over the years and hundreds of rounds, the trigger on this one has started behaving just like the other one. It's way too light, and a couple times it's gone off without me touching it. I took it apart and looked at the sear engagement under a magnifying glass, and see that the sear surface of the trigger was worn and rounded. I very carefully shaped it with a fine diamond hone, and it feels right now, but I assume that it's too soft and will likely happen again. I also wonder if a former owner did a home "trigger job" on them, since the other one I didn't buy was the same. (I still should have bought it, for the price. The guy apparently thought they were cap-and-ball, and had them priced accordingly.)

Anyone have experience with this? I'm thinking I should buy a spare trigger just to have on hand; they're not expensive. I'm not going to take it to a gunsmith. I just can't afford that right now.

Boolit Grand Master

Lets see it goes off on its own and you can't afford to have it fixed right by a gunsmith. Just how much is your life worth?

Most of the Uberti parts are not that hard and I usually after fitting and stoning them re harden them. I charge $50 for the work with the trigger set to 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 pounds. Not counting parts if the trigger or hammer needs replaced.

I prefer to use a trigger stoning jig for this as then you can see what is happening but if you are carefull you can just use the frame of the gun. The parts need to be square and smooth and after adjusting hard. YOu don't mention the hammer surfaces so I assume you didn't check them for square and un damaged?

Boolit Master

Sorry, KCSO. You were trying to help and I was out of line with my reply. I have too much on my plate right now and this gun will have to be a project for another time.
    Last edited by fatelk; 05-05-2020 at 05:15 PM.

IMHO it's not offensive to respond to insensitive remarks...…………………...

Please check your private messages fatelk - I sent you a video/tutorial on fixing light SA triggers.

Last edited by pietro; 05-05-2020 at 08:19 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

I would hope you continue to post such questions as this is part of what this forum is about , I to work on my own firearms , and treat them with the due safety they deserve .

Started messing around on the replica cap and balls in the 70's , as money was tight , but I could buy the parts .

I had the sear and bolt spring break on my 73 uberti six gun , have the parts ordered and when I am home I will repair it , Good luck on your repairs and hope the job and your son are O.K.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the replies. I'm just a little on edge right now. Too much on my plate and this will need to be a project for a different time. Sorry for the drama.

Boolit Buddy
    You can get replacement parts from several suppliers.

Boolit Master
    It’s not to hard to fit these parts and if you mess up your not out much money. I have worked on my own for years. Go slow read all you can and if you messed it up worse it was already messed up to begin with. The next set of parts after you do one will be like that wasent so bad.

Boolit Master

IMHO $50 is cheep to get a trigger/hammer fixed on a single action. I often get guns in where the owner tried to fix it first. I have welded up quite a few triggers and hammers over the years using a harder metal. Soft triggers and hammers make for a harder trigger pull and the trigger pull usually changes with use.

Boolit Master

Yes, $50 seems very reasonable. What set me off a little about a previous post was what I felt was the insinuation that any untrained, non-professional that tries to fix such things them self is an incompetent Bubba who will inevitably mess it up and likely shoot them self in the process. Upon re-reading the post, I realized that that's not really what he was saying. He was offering good insight and advice, and for that I'm grateful.

This revolver goes back into the safe, to be addressed at a later date when I'm able to focus clearly on it to make sure it's done right. I can't justify spending any non-essential money at this time, whether for parts or gunsmith services. We have to wait and see how big the medical bills are, and whether I still have a job this fall.