Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 357/38sp - First Timer - These Powders OK?

Banned
    Using a 158 grain bullet:

Bullseye - A great powder in 38 Special casings.
    231 - Another fantastic powder for 38 Special and maybe a better choice for a target load in the 357 mag casing due to the slightly larger volume and the fact that WW231 is a little bit bulkier than Bullseye.

I've burned more of those two powders than anything else in 38 Special casings than anything else.
    While I have assembled target loads in 357 magnum casings, I generally load magnum casings to magnum pressures, so my experience is greater with 38 Special casings.

I can't offer much on the other powders listed by the OP,

Boolit Master
    you dont need to use mag primers with most of those powders .get a reloading manual ,dont rely on the internet experts.

Quote Originally Posted by psychbiker View Post
    I'm going to reload some 158gr 357 and 38sp for the first time for use in a revolver. Much of my research shows 2400 or h110 as the go to powders for 357 mag loads. I don't have either of those nor do I have mag primers.

Powders I have are:

Bullseye
    Clays
    Lil Gun
    Sport Pistol
    ETR7 (Titegroup)

Many of these will work fine for 357, which would be preferred? I'm not looking for major muzzle flash loads. Be nice to use the same powder for 38sp and 357 to speed up my reloading.
    For all that was posted on the powders you will be ok , you do not need mag primers for this cartridge ,standard primers of small pistol will be all you need for 38 spl/357mag
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    you dont need to use mag primers with most of those powders .get a reloading manual ,dont rely on the internet experts.
    I’ve got 3 manuals as mentioned in the thread. None of the info is consistent.

I just look at what others are doing with the particular powder and caliber. When I see multiple people using the same load, I start with that or a little under and go from there. Never had a problem doing it that way. All the info you need (even official stuff) you can find online...

Boolit Master
    Probably no need to mention it, but with cast boolits you need to bell the case mouth just enough to let the boolit start seating. Otherwise it will hang on the case mouth.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12