Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data PBcastco
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sights for my 94 marlin

Banned
    I really like my little 94 , it's fun to shoot , fairly accurate and .32-20 is about as cheap as it gets to shoot .
    But I hate buckhorn sights and that's what it had .
    I also didn't much care to pay for a store bought sight . Or more accurately my wallet said no way .
    So I wasted a few afternoons And this is what I ended up with .

I do believe I've said this a few times already , but brass isn't my first choice for a finished product , I'd very much rather have used steel
    But working within the limits of my tools and tooling .....

I seem to recall a product called Brass Black from Bitchwood Casey? Your sight turned out great- my only criticism is the big attaching screws- but I certainly understand using what you got.

Banned
    Yep , using what I got for screws , or more accurately what another member was kind enough to send me
    I'll find something more aesthetically pleasing someday and change em .
    And Birchwood casey does mAke a brass black .
    I just can't justify spending money on it at the moment .

Banned
    So , did some shooting over the weekend .
    First off the sight works just fine , no problems there . The time involved to make tight yet easy to move dovetails was time well spent .
    However there are a couple things I'm still less then pleased about .
    And I hate to keep repeating myself , but I still dislike the brass.
    I had hopes that I could learn to like it simply because it's so easy to work with .
    And it's just a tiny bit to long , I tried to push it back as far as I could without getting in the way of the hammer .
    But I went just about a 1/4 - 3/8 to far , this became obvious after 100 rounds or so and I kept hitting my thumb on the sight if I tried to let the hammer down , a friend with normal size hands didn't have any problems with it . But I have big meat hooks .

So I sat down this afternoon with a piece of hss and ground a new , hopefully less delicate tool that will cut steel without breaking the tip
    I'll start on version 3.0 this weekend , I'm going to see if I can dig up a piece of 12l14 to make it out of . Mebbe something free machining instead of gummy mild steel will help .

Banned
    And version 3.0 ....

Couldn't find any 12l14 locally so out came the mystery metal from my scraps box , most likely hot rolled mild steel .
    Not my favorite thing to work with , but beggers can't be choosers .

Attachment 262911
    Attachment 262912

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redneck1 View Post
    I wanted to get some brass black , but my funds are about zero
    So I dunked the thing in vinager over night to try and patina it a bit .
    Not so happy with how it turned out , but it's better then a shiny yellow lump of brass on a 114 year old rifle
    DIY brass blackening solution can be made with sodium carbonate and copper sulfate. Washing soda or one of the pool alkalinity adjusters and root killer.

https://chestofbooks.com/reference/H...-on-Brass.html

hadn't seen this thread before, combines some things I'm interested in.

Bill

Excellent sight and as good as store bought or better. I’m one of those who appreciate the time it took to make the sight. I’m also one who can’t see the money they want for similar store bought sight. I make a lot of things out of Brass and Aluminum and have both Birchwood Black solutions.
    Neither one is a durable black, so save your money.

Love this kind of work! Good job, I like doing these things myself.

Banned
    Sounds like I got lucky and didn't waste money on brass black
    It's all good now though , I know how to make steel look like I want .

I can appreciate how much store bought sights cost , even if made on a cnc there is still a whole lot of effort involved in making them .
    My issues is simply I don't have the needed funds .
    And it should be observed that I don't mind putting in the effort to get things just the way I want them . Even if it means doing it more then once

And not to brag , but I'll put my dovetails made on an obsolete 70 year old shaper against anyone else's , cnc machined or not .
    Just don't give me a time limit on making them though .
    You don't want to know how many hours it took .

Banned
    And almost finished version 3.0
    I did a quick cold blue just to get an idea of what I might want to do to make it look a bit more pleasing to the eye .

I'll eventually do a rust blue , but that'll wait till I have something else to do along with it .

Attachment 263064

Vendor Sponsor

Redneck: I like your design. Also making the parts on an old Mini Shaper is no small accomplishment!

About the only thing I'd change is to put a radius on the top of the aperture holder so it blends with the round aperture, and maybe a Vee or Radius on the front strap in front of the screw hole.

As far as Rust Bluing ? I'd hit the parts a few more times with the cold blue so it was nice and dark and move on.

These are just cosmetics and wouldn't affect the operation of the sight in any way. You've refined the design of your sight over your 3 iterations and I think it looks pretty damn good.

As far as how long it took? Matters not! That's just a part of the fun.

I have 12 years building my Cummins Powered Jeep and it ain't done yet.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 06-03-2020 at 05:18 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned
    Thank you .
    I have been trying to decide what to do with the apature holder and the front strap .
    Rounding the holder over is probably the best suggestion and what I'm likely to do .
    I like the idea of vee'ing the front strap . I might leave it a touch long so I can engrave my initials in it .

I struggle with aesthetics , the mechanics come way easier.

Oh yea , anything after this is going into the mill .
    Sticking it out on my little Logan shaper was just being stubborn on my part to prove a couple friends wrong .

Vendor Sponsor

"Sticking it out on my little Logan Shaper was just being stubborn on my part to prove a couple friends wrong."

It helps if you get a little mad at them too.

Hot tip: Make it so YOU like it. If you get it right,,, others will too.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12