Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersADvertise hereTitan Reloading

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hunting accuracy?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Sorry if my previous post sounded snarky. I just have hunted in both types of areas and am aware of the stark contrasts.
    I've only hunted as far west as eastern Wyoming. Never hunted the rocky mountains. To be honest, I had no idea any real population of whitetail extended west of the Dakota's. Still, just because an animal is rare, doesn't make it difficult. Once you find them, they are still whitetail's. Find the track they follow, set up on it, and boom. It's not like mule deer that wander around aimlessly. We have elk hunting here, and not surprisingly it is very tough. It's 2 or 3 scattered populations though, not what I would consider a huntable group. The DNR gives out 5 or so once in a lifetime tags.

Look at some of the other animals you have. mule deer, elk, black bear, cougar, turkey. A white tailed deer is easy peasy compared to those. My great grandpa used to call them tasty slough rats.

Boolit Master

My first rifle was a Marlin 1894C in 41 Mag, all loads were cast. I shot it offhand a lot and my accuracy standard is 'minute of soda can' at 100 yards. Next rifle was a 22LR and later a Mini 14. The Mini was my duty rifle at work and the course of fire was kneeling, standing, and barricade, from 50 to 100 yards. Along the way I have built some AR 15s, in .223/5.56, 300 BO, and 9MM.

I always wanted a bolt gun in .308 and finally picked up a Mossberg Scout rifle. Along the way I picked up an AR10 and Springfield M1A, all shooting cast. Last year, a buddy and I went to the range to test his lead free reloads and I took the scout rifle. I tried to print some paper and failed miserably. I mounted a long eye relief 4X fixed scope and just couldn't paper to save my hide.

I decided to shoot at a rock on the berm so I could see the dust fly. Time after time I nailed the rock, eventually turning it to gravel. I tried the paper again, no dice, so I shot another rock to gravel. Next range day I am printing a picture of a rock with target rings. I think the Mossberg is afraid of paper. The AR10 and M1A loves my reloads (150gr Spitzer, Gas checked and PCd, 2250 fps) but the Mossberg is stubborn. Need more range time and lots of cans to shoot.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123