RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: TCR 83 or 87?

Boolit Grand Master

TCR 83 or 87?

I was in a gunshop a few weeks ago and they had a TCR with a .223 and .243 barrel. I'm thinking about going back to look at it again, any real issues with these?

I do remember the safety was intentionally a PITA, but I only shot one a few rounds back around 1989.

Thanks for the advice.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    One of the best break open single shots to have hit the open market! Buy it and never look back!

Boolit Master
    I love them, at least the TCR83! The 83 is double set trigger and checkered forend, 87 is single trigger and finger groove forend, same otherwise. There are some that have a stamp indicating “magnum” capable. I don’t remember those details as I have no interest in magnums, much less in a light rifle. All barrels are interchangeable between both versions but don’t shoot magnum barrels on a frame without the stamp.
    I had, 223,243 and still have a 22 hornet. They made a 32-40 barrel, still watching for one of them. They are a really nice single shot, too heavy for rook rifles but head and shoulders above any other break open SS in recent manufacture! Grab it if it’s anywhere close to reasonable priced, barrels are scarce but out there.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    If you like unique, elegant single shot rifles that are (mostly) well designed and well finished, get the TCR.
    If you like "simple" with lots of options (but UGLY), get an Encore.

I would cast my vote for the single trigger versions. I've had both over the years and the relase trigger on the DST models is just plain awkward ergonomically. The single trigger is positioned much more logically, has some limited adjustment, and after adding a trigger shoe, mine is has proved very satisfactory. As for the fore-ends, the only real advantage that the checkered lever-release version has is for (somewhat) quicker barrel changes. IF you don't plan to change barrels a lot, it's not much differenent; I actually like the grooved version.

There are still plenty of barrels out there in the common calibers, but there are also quite a few aftermarket and custom barrels that turn up too. Both TC and other makers did a fair business in TCR custom barrels before the fire destroyed the TCR production equipment. I had TC make me a 30-30 barrel long ago and it seemed just right for the rifle. I've also had the factory produced 32-40 barrel and bunch of smaller caliber barrels, mostly 22 caliber. I currently have a TCR87 with the most fantastic wood on any I've ever seen (from the time that TC had their own wood production in Kansas, I believe). I also only have one barrel; a 223 in the heavy 26" silhouette version. The only other one I would add at this point is a 26" silhouette barrel in 7-08.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tcr1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	261642

Boolit Buddy
    What were they asking for the rifle and extra barrel?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
    What were they asking for the rifle and extra barrel?
    Don't remember for sure, I think it was in the $7-900 range.

Thanks guys, I just may have to acquire a new toy although neither one of the calibers really excite me.

Robert

Boolit Master
    JES could make that 243 into a nice 358Winchester for boolit shooting
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master
    Well I got it, it is a TCR 83 with the afore mentioned .223 and .243 barrels. The .223 has a Burris base, need to get some rings for it one set that I had hanging on the wall is too rusty to clean up for this nice rifle.

The .243 has a Weaver base, and since it was just sitting there I put a Burris Fastfire red dot on it. I had originally got the red dot for a pistol, but it takes me way to long to find the dot on a handgun, while it is instantaneous on the rifle.

Thinking of putting one of my old Leupold Vari X II 3-9's one the .223.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I once had a TCR 87 in .223. It did not suit my purpose as I also had an old SAKO L-46 in .222 Remington that was much more convenient for my needs. It was SO MUCH lighter and handier than the TCR for 'walk about' hunting. For me that is the 'role' of tip-up single shot rifles.

Congrats ! !

I've had a little under a dozen different TCR's over the years, mostly 83's (because I like them better) with a couple of 87's - all in various chamberings.

The TCR two-action safeties never bothered me because I never used the rifles while walking up game, with it's suddenly presented shots - in fact, I usually used them from a deer stand, with the safety "off" until I moved away from the stand.

IMO, they're the most elegant rifles that I've ever encountered in over 50 years, at an affordable cost (unlike some Euro brands).

A falling block is much handier for bench shooting than a break-open; but then I'd rather hunt that shoot targets all day. (YMMV)

BTW, IME the .243 barrel's usually come at a very dear cost, today - as do the 12ga slug bbls.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't think any TCR barrels are cheap anymore, if they ever were. Just a small amount of browsing shows most barrels are in the $350 and up range.

The wood is a little beatup, but the metal is fine on this rifle. As I described it to my buddy, it has more dents and gouges than he and I have ever put in a gun.

I foresee a winter project to fix it, if it can't be done to my satisfaction, there is a place over in Warsaw that offers semi inlet stocks for it.

Robert

Robert

I had an NIB .243 barrel, it sat in my closet for close to 20 years! I finally sold it on Ebay or Gunbroker.
    Then about a year later I got a rifle it could have been used on! Doh!
    lmao

Last edited by cas; 05-28-2020 at 08:43 PM.
    Former cylindersmith.

Boolit Grand Master
    Wow, the wood on both cas and gewehrfreund's rifles makes mine look like the ever popular (with the bean counters) pallet wood.

I did a bit closer inspection of my stock and forearm last night, and it is looking more and more like I will invest in a new set of wood. I just can't justify in my mind putting all that effort into a plain piece of wood.

First of all I need to make a trip to the range to make sure this rifle is worth the time and effort.

Robert

Don't get misled, mine's not regular wood. It's a factory stock, but IIRC it was referred to as "employee grade". I could be wrong all these years later it's gotten fuzzy, he could have said exhibition grade, but I swore he said employee (though he may just as well misspoke himself), but it was a special built gun for someone with some "influence" with the company.
    Former cylindersmith.

Boolit Grand Master
    I never thought yours was the standard grade, it is just that mine is so plain, with hardly any figure in the grain.

I do like the layout of the stock although I could do with a bit tighter curl on the pistol grip. The cheek piece I like, but they left enough wood under it to make a set of knife handles out of. I already planned to take that off and make it a shadow lined cheek piece.

The main drawbacks to simply redoing this stock set to my likings are: 1. There is a honking big gouge in the face of the cheek piece about 1"x 3/16" roughly 1/8" deep. and 2. the right rear corner of the fore arm has a chip missing about 1/8x5/16 long.

I know I can do the wood work, last winter I restocked an old H&R .30-30 similar to what Gil Sengal did in Rifle magazine a few years ago. The checkering I'm a bit hesitant about, I foresee a new optivisor in my future before I even rebuild my old checkering cradle.

If it takes a couple of years to complete, there is no real hurry I'm retired after all.

Robert

A higher grade of Walnut stocks were a factory option for the Model 83 Aristocrat (and other T/C's) via a purchase through the T/C Custom Shop (Fox Ridge Outfitters), from the Fox River catalogue.

Beside a plethora of stocks, sights, scopes etc, Fox River also carried/sold extra barrels in chamberings other than the chamberings offered in the regular T/C catalogue, in different barrel styles & finishes with a length of the buyer's choice - at affordable, non-custom shop, prices).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride