Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Thumlers AR12 help...

Boolit Buddy

Thumlers AR12 help...

I'm trying to rebuild a Thumlers AR12 rotary tumbler. I was given a very old unit that needs a bit of love. It's missing a drive belt, idler shaft, and drum. So... i guess maybe it needs a lot of love.

I have been able to locate drive belts and the idler shaft online at a decent price, I havent ordered anything yet because the drum is way expensive! (Between $70 and $120) I doubt anyone has a spare drum just laying around, but surely someone has made one. I have racked my brain and just can't come up with any workable ideas. Anyone able to help me out with any spare parts or ideas?

With corona and plummeting oil prices killing my work hours at the mill, my bankroll isn't no where near what it needs to be for a showroom restore. I'm just looking to be able to clean some brass with it.

Jake

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Dignified? I signed up for brave and courageous, not dignified!

Boolit Master
    I made a drum for my thumblers, using an empty one gallon can, lined with rubber gasket material. The idea was to deaden the sound. I also lined the lid. For drive belt, I used a large o-ring. I don't wet tumble

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    I made a drum for my thumblers, using an empty one gallon can.
    I thought about using a paint can, just wasnt just about longevity? Guess til something better comes to mind it should do.

Boolit Master
    The can I used has been used since the early 80's, but it is not my main tumbler, I also have a Midway 1292.

Boolit Grand Master

How about PVC drainpipe and a couple end caps.
    A small bucket with lid add a couple ply wood rings to drive it.
    Rhis one would be interesting. Make a drum from lexan 1/8" should work well. cut to width and length. heat in oven and form around old bucket glue seam and a seam cover inside. Cut ends from lexan flue one in and thumb screws for other. You could monitor brass with out stopping it.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    How about PVC drainpipe and a couple end caps.
    A small bucket with lid add a couple ply wood rings to drive it.
    Rhis one would be interesting. Make a drum from lexan 1/8" should work well. cut to width and length. heat in oven and form around old bucket glue seam and a seam cover inside. Cut ends from lexan flue one in and thumb screws for other. You could monitor brass with out stopping it.
    I thought about PVC, but the cheapest 8" caps I saw were in the $20 range... tryin to keep it cheap so i scrapped that idea. The bucket idea crossed my mind. I actually saved a heavy duty plastic wire spool to use as the "drive wheels" attached to some sort of container, just need to find the right container. The lexan sounds cool but again $$ comes into play.

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    The can I used has been used since the early 80's
    Looks like I'll be tracking down a paint can! If it's lasted you that long it'll surely last me til i find something better! Thank you

Boolit Master
    Jake, some paint cans are now plastic with a crimped on metal rim, to retain a metal lid. I save and use those to store my freshly cast ingots.

Boolit Man
    Funny, I was just throwing away a couple paint cans and thought, hey these would work well as a drum for my Thumlers tumbler! You could easily run some large rubber bands around the outside for the drum to grip on the drive shaft.

Boolit Buddy

Yep it looks like I'm going paint can. Trying to find a plastic one. Then I'll put the fins from this spool on either end. The guy at tire shop I get my wheel weights from said he would give me an old innertube to make treads out of. I may even be able to glue some of the tube inside the can for sound dampening and "tumble grip".

I found a complete idler shaft online for $12 shipped. And I was going get the drive belt from work today, but I got laid off an hour after I got there. At least now I guess I'll have some free time to build it.

So I guess all i need now is a 3/16 o-ring with a 4" outside diameter! Anyone have access to something like that?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake McCracken View Post
    Yep it looks like I'm going paint can. Trying to find a plastic one. Then I'll put the fins from this spool on either end. The guy at tire shop I get my wheel weights from said he would give me an old innertube to make treads out of. I may even be able to glue some of the tube inside the can for sound dampening and "tumble grip".

I found a complete idler shaft online for $12 shipped. And I was going get the drive belt from work today, but I got laid off an hour after I got there. At least now I guess I'll have some free time to build it.

So I guess all i need now is a 3/16 o-ring with a 4" outside diameter! Anyone have access to something like that?

Steal (or beg?) some nylons or pantyhose from your wife. They were frequently used as emergency v-belts back in the days when cars used v-belts.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    Steal (or beg?) some nylons or pantyhose from your wife. They were frequently used as emergency v-belts back in the days when cars used v-belts.
    Dunno if they'll work for that small a configuration. Lol

Boolit Master
    Based on your dimensions, do a search for a A568-045 o ring. Found a package of two for $1.44 plus $5 shipping on eBay. O rings are made out of many different materials, just don't buy Kalrez. I think BunaN would work ok.

Boolit Man
    I bought a package of 3 belts on Amazon for $10 that work well. PM me your address and I can send one. Also sorry to hear about your job.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by nawagner View Post
    I bought a package of 3 belts on Amazon for $10 that work well. PM me your address and I can send one. Also sorry to hear about your job.
    Will do. Thank you so much! And it's life in a mill. It happens, but i appreciate the thoughts!

Boolit Buddy

Belt and the new idler shaft showed up today! (Thank you so much nawagner!)

Picked up a no-handle 1 gallon paint can at the local auto parts store that sells automotive paints for $3.50 the other day.

Got it running with some ugly range pickup 9mm brass to test it out. I'll post the results when i pull it out.

Just wanted to say thank you to all for the help getting this old machine shining things up again!

(Yes the black thing is the base plate for a Lee interchangeable press mount. Right now it just a shim to keep the tumbler level on the floor of an old house!)

Boolit Man
    I love it when a plan comes together! Looks good and I like your idea for leveling. I usually shim with random scraps of whatever is on my bench!

Boolit Buddy

I usually shim with random scraps of whatever is on my bench!
    Thats basically what i did. Lol I just got the bolts to mount it to the bench so i had it out to work on. Needed a shim so the mounting will have to wait til tumbling is done