Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Herter's Press Super Model 3

Boolit Buddy

Herter's Press Super Model 3

I found an old Herter's press on another forum. Kind of a cool old piece of iron. What is a rough date on it, Pressman? Boxes are all in ok shape.
    Thanks in advance for any input.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	acc1.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	261603Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goodies.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	261604

Name:	insert.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	261605Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nameplate.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	261606

Name:	opside.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	261607Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shellholdersacc.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	261608

Cool press. Nice find.

Banned
    That's a nice one with plenty of extras. It's a late press, 1963 till the end in 1980/81 when they tried to transition to the Model 3 Improved.
    Ken

Boolit Master
    I had one of those in the mid 1970's, what I remember most about it was that the handle liked to drop when I was not expecting it , watch your fingers.

Boolit Master
    I started loading with one in 1972, think it was around $17-$18. That sounds cheep but it was over 10 hours work. Still have it but haven't used it in a while.

I've dropped the handle on my fingers too, that will certainly expand your vocabulary.

Boolit Buddy
    I made a universal adpter for mine ,, now it will take all size's of shell holders ,, but I bought it to resize 45-70 brass down to 40-60 win. ,, cost me $5.00,, guy said it was just a boat anchor ( Oh,, really ?? ). Great find you got there.

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Boolit Buddy
    I am thinking the press will serve as my new gas-check forming machine or maybe to process the buckets of 223 that are laying around. I can imagine that the full pressure of that handle hitting the downstroke with a finger caught would expand a 4-letter word vocabulary right quick!

Boolit Master
    I have one for sale on the site, right now. Shipping costs make it hard to sell. I priced it low, to make up for some of the sticker shock for shipping. I think I might get it into a medium flat rate and that would save a bunch.

Banned
    Flounderman, if you pull the pivot pin and drop the ram and handle it will fit in a large flat rate box. Just make sure you tape that handle to the box very securely. If and when the box gets abused a loose handle is the first thing to fall out.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of those. Paid $5 for it at an estate sale about 10 years ago. Yeah flounderman it weighs 24#. I use mine as a dedicated deprime station.

Boolit Master
    Always wondered (not) why the very best was only from George Leonard Herters and all the other shoos and products didn't know about it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    Always wondered (not) why the very best was only from George Leonard Herters and all the other shoos and products didn't know about it.
    The "very best" products just might have been something of an exaggeration but I (and many others) found his products to be quite good ... and his prices were unbeatable. But Demicrats had a political lust to ruin him and, much like w/Gen. Flynn, the Feds eventually found ways to bankrupt him in courts.

Smile

First that is a nice find and it looks like you have way more than the average amount of accessories which is a good thing. Second thing is that press is a recognizable piece of reloading history especially with the previously mentioned (and almost disputed) Herterisms which are legendary in the reloading hobby.

If you really like reloading as a hobby I think you take the bad with the good or rather the good that has been sold to you as the greatest thing since baked bread only to find it is pretty good at best. I have a Super No 3 which my Dad bought in the mid 60's and which he and my younger brother spent many hours using and the smashed finger stories are true. In fact my younger brother avoided reloading for many years as a consequence of several smashed finger episodes and Dad transitioned to Lee products and the Herters sat for years. Dad rigged a cord loop to stop the handle drops but by the time I got the press about 20 years ago the cord was gone. Lucky for me I was experienced on other press types and avoided the smashed fingers (almost) but I found that if you drop anything in front of the press it is designed to smack you in the head when you bend over to pick the item up.

I found the press works fine for an older design and I bought a shell holder conversion, to use conventional shell holders, from CH so that you don't have to peruse Ebay for specific shell holders all the time. I also bought a couple of Herter's catalogs on Ebay from the early 70's to enjoy the Herter's experience. Dad and I had a few conversations before he passed in late 03 about the similarities of George Herter's product prose and Richard Lee's prose because both thought they had the best, most wonderful. most convenient products for everything. Of course a lot of folks agree with them.

Well both Mr Herter and Mr Lee have passed on but their products remain. I have no intention of selling that old Herter Super No 3 and have already told my youngest nephew that the Herter press will pass to him (My brother said No way). My nephew is a bright young architect who is mainly into Rifle calibers so the Herter's should find a good home for another few decades. This is a good thing because my nephew and his wife are both shooters who won't let the anti's rattle their cage.

Sorry for the Long winded rant but Herter is a part of reloading history and I'll bet you get good use from your new press.
    regards,

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Herter's "Model Perfect". Don't know what that means? Just pick up any old Herter's catalog and you'll find out..........

I wasted too much of my youth perusing those catalogs.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you everyone for the encouragement- and Ken for the ID of what it is I have. Today it made some "Bud" gas checks for the 45-70. I was able to source another Dillon so it might serve as a re-sizer for the 223, then remove crimp with the Dillon tool, trim and load. Kind of a little production line.

Thanks again everyone!
    Zingger