RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making black powder

Boolit Grand Master

Making black powder

Has anyone tried it????
    I don't even know if it's allowed here.
    With not much to do, looking at stuff on utube.
    Ran across a few clips.
    Seems doable.
    It also seems like the type of wood determines the burn rate.
    That and how well it is mixed.

Boolit Master

go to the muzzle loading area, there is a mile long thread on how to make your own, wet or dry, even how to make a ball mill.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Made it in elementary school with information from the school library.
    I found out how dangerous it can be, too. And why the buildings at powder manufacturers are sooo far apart.

Boolit Buddy
    Ordering stuff now.
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Don't forget your approved anti-static shoes. That stuff goes -boom- just about any time it likes. You being in Hawaii and the humidity and all probably less of a spark hazard. But it has blown up production lines down thru history.

Put it this way: smokeless powder was developed for a reason (actually a couple of reasons). Ball powder was developed for yet another couple of reasons. In both cases handling without the -boom- was at the top of the list.
    S - Submarine
    Q - Qualified
    U - Until
    I - I
    D - Die

Retired = every day feels like Saturday EXCEPT Saturday

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    I made black powder before . Used a rock tumbler and lead balls , it's not hard to make . I was just doing it for fun . What I made 'worked' but was sure not a quality powder . But that was my fault ! I didn't pursue improving it . Like I said...just a fun project . It sure did make some interesting 'big ' firecrackers though !

It would be interesting to make some 'good' black powder .
    No turning back , No turning back !

A fellow called "Brushhippie" has a good video on Gunstreamer -

https://gunstreamer.com/watch/homema...s7R4gTNkL.html

I made a small batch this past February, using Spectracide Stump Remover and "Lilly Miller" Sulfur Dust from Lowes. I made charcoal from Red Cedar wood shavings (pet bedding, purchased at Walmart).
    It worked well in a percussion revolver, velocities were comparable to an equal weight of standard GOEX 3Fg.
    Last edited by ofitg; 05-05-2020 at 11:06 AM.
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JackQuest View Post
    Don't forget your approved anti-static shoes. That stuff goes -boom- just about any time it likes. You being in Hawaii and the humidity and all probably less of a spark hazard. But it has blown up production lines down thru history.

Put it this way: smokeless powder was developed for a reason (actually a couple of reasons). Ball powder was developed for yet another couple of reasons. In both cases handling without the -boom- was at the top of the list.
    I saw a video where a guy was trying to ignite black powder with static jolt. He couldn't do it! You could see the jolt of electricity hit the powder but it would not light. Can't find that video now. Heat sets it off. It is quite stable actually.

dondiego

All good and well, but I don't mess with pyrotechnics. Kid blew his finger off with a "spoke gun" back in high school and seeing it floating in a bottle of alcohol was enough for me.

Totally off track here - you are in "Milan, MI". Do the people in your area pronounce that like Italians "Mee-lawn" or like Illinoisans "My-lan"? Just wondering - been in the "Quad Cities" area over 30 years and still can't really wrap my head around it.
    S - Submarine
    Q - Qualified
    U - Until
    I - I
    D - Die

Retired = every day feels like Saturday EXCEPT Saturday

Banned

When I was using spoke guns I used match heads for the charge. We pronounce the town name as MY-lun.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Has anyone tried it????
    I don't even know if it's allowed here.
    With not much to do, looking at stuff on utube.
    Ran across a few clips.
    Seems doable.
    It also seems like the type of wood determines the burn rate.
    That and how well it is mixed.
    noone here has EVER tried it.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    When I was using spoke guns I used match heads for the charge. We pronounce the town name as MY-lun.
    That gave me the idea of making one bigger than a spoke. A 50 caliber smooth bore and using the white part of a strike anywhere match for the percussion cap. Very carefully crushed the red part to make the "powder". Had a bit of a hang fire but it did shoot.

Boolit Master

Making my own powder was a learning experience. Learned too late that charcoal brickets do not work. The powder I made was a bit slow burning and when used in a canon it set the whole hill on fire. We were only shooting 100 yards but try to stamp out a grass fire spread out for that distance on a hot sunny day. Could not see the flames, just the dark patches getting bigger. The last thing the farmer said (after giving us permission to shoot on his farm) as he was leaving " don't burn the place down".

Boolit Master

I have and some even worked well I like to Char cotton cloth for Charcoal I do not use it in guns but mix it with powdered hot peppers to keep animals from re digging under my garages.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy
    Some things are best left to professionals. If you must have a skill for SHTF, learn how to make bows and arrows. It's hard to kill yourself with one if things go wrong.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reivertom View Post
    Some things are best left to professionals. If you must have a skill for SHTF, learn how to make bows and arrows. It's hard to kill yourself with one if things go wrong.
    Making gunpowder is hardly "rocket science" and there are a lot more things far more dangerous, like driving in this part of the country when the bars close.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Master
    I have an interesting book on the King Powder Company which was in the area of Kings Island Amusement Park. The owners of the company arranged their furniture and bedroom furniture toward the center of the room in case of an explosion from the nearby factory the concussion would not drop wall furnishings on them. Since the buildings were near a river that whenever there was an explosion and someone was killed they were termed as "Going across the river". How quaint.

Boolit Master

Spokeguns . . .

Boy that is something from FAR DISTANT past.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Same as Zip guns?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast