Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 22TCM 1911 and odd problem...

Boolit Master

At the low melting point of corrosive, I am going to try it with a cardboard dam. I got a pound of it late last week.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    With the barrel hood the only place the barrel is as long as the case how do you contain the Cerrosafe to get the full chamber casting ?
    A little masking tape ought to do it. Cerrosafe is low temperature. it melts when water starts to boil.

Boolit Master
    Ok thanks guys . You all can go to the teachers lounge and I will go to the play ground.

Boolit Grand Master
    The hood presents a problem in that an attempt to pour the Cerrosafe to the same level means part of the casting is larger than the chamber itself. It is good for all dimensionalities forward of the barrel ramp. Good information can still be obtained. Block the barrel forward of the chamber so the leade can be examined as well.

Warm the barrel beforehand to obtain a better fill out of the casting . Better if it takes a little while to solidify. Try about 140 degrees or so.

Boolit Master

Just wrap some tape around the end of the barrel after pushing a dry patch just past the leade, put the cerro safe and a big metal kitchen spoon and hit it with a crack lighter till melted and poor it in the chamber. Ya might get some funny looks from the cops if you do this in the alley behind your house, LOL. Pop it out and I think it'll even out in an hour for precise measurements.

I believe modeling clay would also work. Put a snake around the rim, clear and oil the breach face and put it the slide and slide it back to the end of the hood. Pulling it out and pour. For an accurate oal, measure the gap betwčen the barrel and hood with a feeler gauge.
    Last edited by Greg S; 05-12-2020 at 01:15 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    Just wrap some tape around the end of the barrel after pushing a dry patch just past the leade, put the cerro safe and a big metal kitchen spoon and hit it with a crack lighter till melted and poor it in the chamber. Ya might get some funny looks from the cops if you do this in the alley behind your house, LOL. Pop it out and I think it'll even out in an hour for precise measurements.

I believe modeling clay would also work. Put a snake around the rim, clear and oil the breach face and put it the slide and slide it back to the end of the hood. Pulling it out and pour. For an accurate oal, measure the gap betwčen the barrel and hood with a feeler gauge.
    Funny ,
    but the bad thing about about A crack lighter is you can never remember where you left it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep, one hour is actually the correct time for measurement.....looked it up.
    Last edited by 35remington; 05-12-2020 at 08:20 AM.

Boolit Master
    Cerrosafe is somewhat amazing stuff. It melts at about 165 degrees Fahrenheit (74 degrees C). Cerrosafe contracts during the first 30 minutes of cooling making it easy to pop out of a mold. After about an hour, it has expanded again and then it is measurable for accuracy. Now after a hour it will continue to expand for upwards of 200 hours. But it is at a constant known rate that can be used with calculations still.

Boolit Master

An updated... Got an email back from RIA. They want to replace the entire gun for this issue? So now another 4473, 3 day wait and transfer fee. I have a call in to find out what the heck was wrong with it, doubt they will tell me, but we shall see.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
    I recall hearing/reading about Armscor 22 tcm brass having "problems" and the last batch of ammo and brass I purchased, the shop mentioned that this batch was after "they addressed the problems" ... yeah, I know - hearsay and nothing to back it up. Just sharing what I've heard. I've not gotten a chance to shoot mine since my last ammo purchase, so I can't verify anything right now.
    THIS!

i bought 2 boxes of their " factory" ammo and split most . bought 100 brass and new projectiles used 11 grains of h-110 powder (as what they originally told me didn't have enough poop to cycle the action)
    and neither did the Factory ammo.

and use wilson combat mags for .40 smith & wesson to get past the feeding problem. all is good now.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    An updated... Got an email back from RIA. They want to replace the entire gun for this issue? So now another 4473, 3 day wait and transfer fee. I have a call in to find out what the heck was wrong with it, doubt they will tell me, but we shall see.
    7. May I lawfully ship a firearm directly to an out-of-State licensee, or must I have a licensee in
    my State ship it to him? May the licensee return the firearm to me, even if the shipment is across
    State lines?

Any person may ship firearms directly to a licensee in any State, with no requirement for another
    licensee to ship the firearm. However, handguns are not mailable through the United States Postal
    Service and must be shipped via common or contract carrier.(18 U.S.C. §§ 1715). Firearms shipped
    to FFLs for repair or any other lawful purpose may be returned to the person from whom received
    without transferring the firearm through an FFL in the recipient’s State of residence. FFLs may also
    return a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom received. 18 U.S.C.
    § 922(a)(2)(A).
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

Different serial number... new gun. That is the issue.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Explain what part of the post I highlighted you don't understand. Seriously, if there is something I'm missing or not understanding, I want to know. That is a direct quote from the gestapo book, as current as I could find but that doesn't mean I'm correct. Things may have changed and I just didn't find the most current ruling.

I have had acquaintances that have had guns replaced DIRECTLY, but that was some time ago so perhaps the laws/rules have changed since then.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    Explain what part of the post I highlighted you don't understand. Seriously, if there is something I'm missing or not understanding, I want to know. That is a direct quote from the gestapo book, as current as I could find but that doesn't mean I'm correct. Things may have changed and I just didn't find the most current ruling.

I have had acquaintances that have had guns replaced DIRECTLY, but that was some time ago so perhaps the laws/rules have changed since then.
    In most states... yes... NOT in ILLINOIS! State law requires "new" firearms to be sold and distributed by an FFL. That way they get the serial numbers on the forms and the state can suck them up anytime they wish.

The Springfield 911 that I just had repaired was shipped directly back to me, it was a repair and the serial number remained the same.
    Last edited by mattw; 07-24-2020 at 02:33 PM.

Boolit Master

Finally got to pick it up!

The new gun is the same part number, but the much older really early production one I had did not have ramped barrels. This one came with fully ramped barrels and a better trigger than the original, which was pretty good. I will get to put rounds thru it this weekend.

Boolit Master
    I have heard of gun companies that have returned a new gun that they put the same serial # on but that is rare.
    You can ask and see if that is an option or if they will reimburse you for what the gun shop charges to file the form , I have heard that some companies will do that also.
    But all that said I would be happy if they fix it. And all I had to be out was the filing fee . If you bought it from a local dealer he may do the filing for nothing depends on you gun shop.

Boolit Master

Final update, the replacement runs like a champ. Factory rounds headspace perfectly in 9mm and 22 TCM. I only have Lee dies and to get the headspace to be right, they now have to be given about a quarter turn past contact with the shell holder. My existing reloads in new brass cases are really nice shooting, but I am going to have to heat them up a little as they just dribble out of the gun. I do need to find a front sight for it with a dot so I can see it.

Boolit Master
    That is good news glad they got it fixed for you.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234