Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: 8x57 Mauser

Boolit Buddy

8x57 Mauser

Anyone powder coating for this caliber? Seems like the traditional 198gr load would play nice with cast velocities.

Anyone have a mold they like or where to find load data for cast boolits in this caliber around 200gr?

This was the first gun I had absolute failure with.
    I've got an FN-49 in 8mm mouser. I decided to try to shoot cast boolits at full power.
    I just remember the first couple shots hitting pretty close to where I thought they would and then it just went south. Took about 4 sessions running chore boy through it to get all the lead out.

Sadly, I didn't give it a second chance with lower pressure/velocity loads. I probably should but I have more interesting guns...

I actually want to sell that rifle and get a 300 bo or 300 ham'r upper... I've got a mold, will have to look to see what it actually is.
    WWG1WGA

I'm using the Saeco 190gn sized to 0.325"
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master

Lee's https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...75-1r-mold-dc- Worked like a charm in my M48. Same with the Lyman 323470. Lube them with a good lube and you should be golden.

Boolit Buddy
    Any load data?

I'm looking to use a bullet around 200gr with PC to get basically full velocity for that bullet weight, around 2300-2400 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp81 View Post
    Any load data?

I'm looking to use a bullet around 200gr with PC to get basically full velocity for that bullet weight, around 2300-2400 fps.
    I had bad results with cast lead with a boolit about that size and speed in my FN-49...
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

8x57 Mauser

I do load for that cartridge, but I shoot the Lee 175 grain and the Karabiner which weighs closer to 240 grain. Both shoot like lasers out of my k98, but I keep them at or below 2000 fps. I have used some slow powders like H450 with Dacron filler and low charge weights. Also “the load”, 16 gr. 2400 with or without Dacron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boolseye; 05-05-2020 at 05:30 AM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    This was the first gun I had absolute failure with.
    I've got an FN-49 in 8mm mouser. I decided to try to shoot cast boolits at full power.
    I just remember the first couple shots hitting pretty close to where I thought they would and then it just went south. Took about 4 sessions running chore boy through it to get all the lead out.

Sadly, I didn't give it a second chance with lower pressure/velocity loads. I probably should but I have more interesting guns...

I actually want to sell that rifle and get a 300 bo or 300 ham'r upper... I've got a mold, will have to look to see what it actually is.
    Slug the barrel, and get the right size bullets. You are shooting under size.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

If you have a good rifle, the 8x57 is easy to find success with cast. As in first try easy. These aren't the power level you're seeking; but darn fun to shoot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I had terrible results with cast and with J-words until I changed the front sight! I HATE ACORN FRONT SIGHTS! Replaced it with a blade. Now the Yugo shoots 3/4 inch groups at 50 yards, no problem.

I've had really good success with the Lee 330-220-1R (Used to come as .329, I think lee increased the size) sized to .323. I settled on about 20 grains of 2400, and shot very consistent 1.5 inch groups at about 60 yards. I powder-coat, and haven't had a problem sizing them down in one shot.

I've also found a decent load with the Lee 323-175-1R. Not quite as good as the 220 grain, but it's great for plinking, as it uses roughly the same or less powder, and 20 percent less lead per bullet.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Boolit Buddy

Never tried full power loads , but had fine results with 13 gr. of Red Dot, and any cast boolits sized .323". No leading and accuracy was fine for plinking out to 200 yd.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    I'm using the Saeco 190gn sized to 0.325"
    Finding out the barrel is very important with this rifle if surplus. They can be all over the place.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum