Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Weirdness in my Lead Pot -

Boolit Master
    Wow, that nasty stuff is chock full of tin, and the alloy I'd considered full of toxic metals is actually just overcooked high tin alloy. If it can be reduced, that'd be a great save.

Learned something here. Thanks to both the OP for not being shy about asking about the issue, and to BNE for taking the time to settle the issue for us.

Boolit Master
    The OP should buy a lead thermometer.

Boolit Master
    Say, BNE. Your analyses all add up to 100.0% metals. Is the XRF not calibrated for the oxygen or are the oxides added into the metal content? Does the analysis exclude lead oxides?

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Say, BNE. Your analyses all add up to 100.0% metals. Is the XRF not calibrated for the oxygen or are the oxides added into the metal content? Does the analysis exclude lead oxides?
    Very good question! The XrF does not really “see”’oxides. So I should not consider this analysis 100% accurate. It does always add up to 100%. That is an internal calculation the machine makes. But it is based on what it sees.

I based my comments on the XrF data and what I read in Wikipedia, and the fact that the fluff was high in Tin, and his Bullet only had 2%, when he thought he had 5%Tin. BUT..... There had to be some other contaminates present to kick off this fluffy reaction. Look up Tin Oxide and you will see what I mean.
    Here is what I am Confused about. I have run tests at very high pot temps and never had the crusty stuff happen. So some other contaminate is present. I think.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    The OP should buy a lead thermometer.
    What ones can you recommend?

Boolit Master
    I have the version Rotometals sells, that they say is the same as the RCBS. It worked fine, though it did not come with a hands free clip to hold it in the melt.

A thermometer still requires adjusting the heat to your Lee pot separately and then rechecking to see that you have got to where you want to be, and periodically checking to see if you're staying there. I've switched to PID controlled pots, where I can program in the desired temp and let the unit do all the rest, and getting precise and instantaneous digital temperature readings to boot. It's more cost to purchase a nice pre assembled unit like HATCH's (or more effort at less cost if you have the know how to DIY your own), but most think it worth it.
    Last edited by kevin c; 05-24-2020 at 01:33 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123