RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do base voids affect accuracy?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Only because you keep asking for it. This was the original question:

I have several 9mm boolits with pencil tip voids in the base. At 50 yds or less would you expect the voids will effect accuracy out of a pistol?

My response was to that. At least you admit that yes, base deformations cause a lack of accuracy. Sure, if one can not shoot well enough to see the loss of accuracy, then no it wont matter.
    You sure do ask for it , never said if you actually can understand that it would not be the most accurate , but to shoot it for one self to see .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    I really am not sure what your issue is, maybe because you have never shot action pistol type competition, but seated shooting as in the av, was required? Shooting at 7y is nearly pointless but for the brand new shooter that is still learning. With reasonable skill, one can hit 10" plates @ 7y blindfolded.
    You have no idea what I have shot , but you keep up your snide remarks , show me your blindfold shooting as that is fools talk . 7 yards may be pointless to long range , but most pistol shooting in a action type scenario would be at 7 yards or less.

Take your blindfold off.

Quote Originally Posted by FLINTNFIRE View Post
    You have no idea what I have shot , but you keep up your snide remarks , show me your blindfold shooting as that is fools talk . 7 yards may be pointless to long range , but most pistol shooting in a action type scenario would be at 7 yards or less.

Take your blindfold off.

Be careful who you're calling fools, I've seen it done.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Master

Well I myself do not hang around people shooting blind , sound shots , or other foolishness . Take it any way you like it .
    Base voids or rounded bases are signs of poor mold fill out . Shoot them if you want or dont , I remelt them , as I have found if it is poor fill out and rounded bases there is inconsistent neck tension .

Accuracy means so many things to different casters, that's why I tend to put when showing bullets/loads/groups:
    "Not a hand picked/cherry picked target by any means. Simply the test target used that day testing loads"
    "This is what I consider accurate"

Couple that with short distances, firearms that have a hard time holding 6" @ 25yds & shooter's skillset into the mix. And we end up with a rainbow of answers. Add to that the reloaders skillset/knowledge in reloading and bullet design vs oal's/sizing/lube/alloy's and things really start to go south.

I started casting bullets in the 80's, 1st mold was a h&g #50 bbwc 6-cavity mold to feed a 586 for nra bullseye. Ya, got it, a 357 to shoot 38spl's. Anyway after 1000's of rounds down range I found that:
    Bullets with torn or voids in the base along with rounded edges/wrinkles were good for seasoning a clean bbl.
    Bullets with only torn or small voids in the bases would hold the x-ring @ 50ft (.9")
    Bullets with wrinkles or rounded edges would hold the x-ring @ 50ft.
    Bullets with good fill out/good bases consistently produced higher scores @ 25yds & 50yds.

Why the higher score statement???
    Because it took a couple of years and +/- 500 rounds a week down the tube to be able to tell the difference.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123