MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In the Market for a New Chainsaw

Boolit Master

As one who earned his living for years with one Stihl was the brand , yes I have ran pioneer ,sachs dolmars , husqvarna ,mcculluch ,homelite ,poulan, echo, john deere, and others .

And I will not buy one marketed as a farm saw , have owned the same saws sold by the model number and worked on farm saw versions , there were cheaper parts used in the farm saw versions .

I prefer a longer bar then most , you can always put a shorter bar on for more speed in your cut , I do not buy or use safety chain either or full comp chain , prefer chisel bit non safety skip tooth , and you can still sharpen with a round file or use chisel file or as some did a regular mill bastard file held right .

But in your price range and for your casual use , you will be buying a smaller saw . I have found most of the smaller entry saws to be fine for occasional use and light duty .

Be safe , and do wear ear protection , Skip tooth as you will spend less time sharpening and you will not notice the cutting speed difference .

Boolit Master
    Just to throw it out there, you may also want to consider a 110v corded saw. I have an older B&D Log Hog that performs real well on the occasional around the house trim jobs and after storm cleanup. No fuel issues and goes when the trigger is pulled.

The plus with using it is that half the time I end up using my portable generator with it to get some run time on it as well

Not quite rich enough to buy a Stihl, but between my 18’ craftsman, 16 in Homelite and 14in MacCullough all of which were given to me since I’m a tinkerer I do ok.

Boolit Master
    I use and Echo and 2 Stihls. On Stihl is an Arborists saw with the handle on top. The other two are rarely used. The little Arborists saw has somewhere around 2000 hours over 20 years of use. Its needed 2 gas lines and gets a new spark plug every 2 years. The other ones have been faultless as well but are far newer with much much less hours on them.

Boolit Master
    +1 for Stihl. Buy quality and buy once. Got mine on sale for $250 several years ago when we bought our house and it’s never failed me. Dad has two stihls (not counting the chainsaw on a stick) and youngest one is 25 years young. Pretty sure Uncle is still using grandpas that is god knows how old.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    To be honest with your budget id RENT one from a tool rental outfit. I cut 8 cords a year with a Stihl MS 271 Farm Boss. It was $429 on sale 4 years ago.

Never needed anything but the chain sharpened.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    $200 ?
    I'd watch Craigslist or Facebook Market place for a used Stihl, they last for ever.
    this... take it from somebody that cuts 20 cords+ per year of firewood.. stihl or husky... even an old beat up one that runs good and has a decent chain will serve you well...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

My Dad is a retired WI DNR forester, FISTA chainsaw instructor, now an independent forester...lots of experience. He always broke it down this way: Husqvarnas are 25% more saw in every way than Stihls.

- 25% more cost
    - 25% more power
    - 25% more weight
    - 25% runtime
    - 25% more maintenance
    - 25% more cutting ability

I'd recommend you start with whichever brand has dealer support closest to you. Then pick the size saw you think you need. Then buy a size or two up as long as it doesn't get too heavy.

I believe he currently has 6 saws: 2 Stihl, 3 Husqvarna, a Jonsered, and a Mcculloch that's older than me. I prefer the smaller, higher revving 445 for almost all of my cutting but it will never replace his 372xp...that thing is a beast.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had a McCullock for many years, just had to do basic maintenance, my father had stihl for years he cut a lot of dry very hard hardwood again no trouble, the only advise I can give is just avoid the lure of cheap crap.

Boolit Master

I ran huskies , even the timber cutters in alaska at the time liked them except for the vibration , I had to pack extra parts for that reason alone , 3/8 chain is better then the smaller chain .

Stihl was and is a good saw , I would buy some from pawn shops for tree climbing , as it is hard on saws , stihl would hold up better then the huskies , but after awhile it would beat them apart swinging from the end of your rope .

For what you are doing , it is not going to make a lot of difference , ah the good old saws a homelite 650 6.2 cubic inches a 36 inch bar , had a stihl 041 super with full wrap handles , never could kill that saw , and I had it 20 years , the 038 magnums and the 046 056 075 all good saws in there day, cutting root wads in the blast zone of mt. st. helens , a pulaski for barking before cutting those big old growth .

The 026 and 028 and 034 were all good little saws , still have my old climbing gear and boots , still do tree work for friends and family .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FLINTNFIRE View Post
    I ran huskies , even the timber cutters in alaska at the time liked them except for the vibration , I had to pack extra parts for that reason alone , 3/8 chain is better then the smaller chain .

Stihl was and is a good saw , I would buy some from pawn shops for tree climbing , as it is hard on saws , stihl would hold up better then the huskies , but after awhile it would beat them apart swinging from the end of your rope .

For what you are doing , it is not going to make a lot of difference , ah the good old saws a homelite 650 6.2 cubic inches a 36 inch bar , had a stihl 041 super with full wrap handles , never could kill that saw , and I had it 20 years , the 038 magnums and the 046 056 075 all good saws in there day, cutting root wads in the blast zone of mt. st. helens , a pulaski for barking before cutting those big old growth .

The 026 and 028 and 034 were all good little saws , still have my old climbing gear and boots , still do tree work for friends and family .
    I bow to your superior manliness. Tree cutting is no work for lesser men. My uncles were all loggers and log truck drivers. They were like gods to me. Toughest men you'll find on the planet.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Some of the best loggers I worked with were no giants , some were tough as nails , I have known miners and other men who were as strong and as tough.

Knew some good truck drivers to , big ed up in camp , rode that truck right off a ice slick road , just another day for him , 10 wide truck , where the shovel operators always said never pass up a lay (lay meaning a spot to put on another log) .

Stihls are good saws , keep them sharp , keep them maintained and most saws will do what the original post asked , run saws for a living , and you learn to work on them as wages went to heck in the early 80's and bigger the saw the more it costs .

Banned

dad is a Husqvarna man and I don't know why. His two brothers made a living cutting wood and the only saw they will even look at is a stihl. Ive owned stihls most of my life. Few others but only news ones ive bought are stihls. Even at work as a lineman the trucks all had different brand of saws. Whatever the lead man liked its what was on the truck. When I was first a lead man my saw was tired and of course I went and got a stihl. 5 years later every truck in our shop had a stihl. That says enough right there. Some will laugh at this but my neighbor was given for a gift one of the battery powered electric stihls. He swore by that saw. Now its only a 12 inch saw so its only good for light work but I watched him clear land behind his house with it and he had two big saws he could have used. I tried it and liked it enough I raved about it to my wife and she bought me one for Christmas a couple years ago. They aren't cheap. About 500 bucks for the saw battery and charger. But I don't burn wood anymore and my gas saws sit so long now before use that I struggle getting them started. this little electric saw will cut as much wood with one battery charge as a gas saw will with a tank of gas. Its a powerful little bugger for what it is. More powerful then there little 12 inch gas saw for sure. Cool thing for me is I throw it in the back of the jeep when I head into the woods or to camp. Don't need gas and it doesn't stink for gas. Never have to struggle to start it. Just pull the trigger and cut. No muss no fuss and a heck of a lot quieter. Its not the thing for someone who burns wood but its handy for what it is and id bet in a few short years they will have battery powered saws that will about replace gas saws.

I dont have a need for a lot of firewood, but clearing blow downs and pasture edges- farm work- I chose Stihl after trying some others over the years. After using it, I also upgraded the mini tiller and weed eater to Stihl as well. They just work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'll go one further. under $200 either buy used and take a chance, or forget gas powered saw. Buy a HF 40 or 80v with extra battery. especially if you are just going to use it once in a while. safer by a mile, stops the second you take your hand on the switch. no gas, no pulling dang cord to start. just oil for chain. works. now it won't take down a big tree, but for anything the size of the bar, it works

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Some Stihls products are made in China.Don't know about the homeowner Huskys and Echos.People are always going on about Stihls be USA made.A lot of people at this time are avoiding made in China just something to look at.

Boolit Grand Master

My echo was made in Japan. Had it for 15 years now and just runs. Bought a Stihl 3 years ago and runs well. Stick with a decent brand and learn how to adjust the carbs and remove limited caps. Use non ethanol gas and high quality 2stroke synthetic oil designed for saws. It’ll provide you years of reliable service.

USMC 77, USRA 79

this is the saw section of my shop... notice the colors...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	63-AB9-F38-EC7-F-4902-BFBC-75-E2-A00-CD4-A2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	261570

always the right tool for the Job...

cant go wrong with one of them sthil ms 180's or 170's... under 200 bucks and I have worn out one.. in TEN years. working on my second now... should last me till I just dont wanna cut nuttin.... very light, starts easy... and its a sthil!!!! i throw one in my hunting rig case a tree is across the road.... which happens constantly in the rainforest of southeast alaska.. i wonder is anybody hears them fall???
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Banned
    If you spend anytime with chainsaws you quickly learn that it is the chain the does the work. A sharp chain with the correct profile is key.
    The consumer grade saws will NOT come with the more aggressive cutting teeth. That's no big deal, you just swap chains for the style you want.
    The length of the bar is another factor. Obviously the more wood you're cutting through the more power you need. Often you are not utilizing the entire length of bar but when you do need the entire length of the bar you need the power for that length of bar. When I was cutting firewood, I found an 18" bar to be a pretty good compromise.
    IMO, a good "All Purpose" saw has an 18" bar and a 50cc engine. YMMV

As for the brand of engine that drags the chain through the wood you're cutting, it ain't rocket science folks. It needs to start when you need it to start. It needs to run reliably and it would be nice if it didn't wear out or come apart.
    We're talking about lightweight, 2 stroke engines that run at high rpm's. You can make it heavier and it may hold together longer or you can make it lighter and it will be a bit easier to work with.

Ethanol fuel is the scourge of all chain saw owners. Saw manufactures have improved the materials used and the saws tolerate ethanol better than before. Ethanol is still a curse to all small engines that use carburetors.

Many years ago I had a John Deere saw that was actually a rebranded Echo. That was a great saw until I drove a truck over it Can't really blame the saw for that.
    I replaced it with a Stihl that I wore out. That saw cut a lot of firewood and eventually it just disintegrated. That Stihl was replaced by another Stihl.
    I've watched people struggle with cheap saws, bad chains and undersized engines. The few dollars you save at the time of purchase just are not worth the frustration later.
    If you're not cutting timber for a living you don't need to buy a top of the line professional saw but buying the cheapest thing on the shelf will cost you more in grief than those few pennies you saved.

Just my $0.02 worth

Boolit Master
    I had a big 26 " mc Culloch for many years...had every accident could befall a chainsaw,including being stuck in falling trees...was never easy to start if left for a month,but cut many a ton of wood..since had mini cheapies.....most recent is a dead ringer for a Stihl I got from a tool store group....they actually test anything they sell.....and its a real good saw,and at my age ,weight is becoming an issue.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll second the idea of a 120V electric for anyone who needs a chain saw only occasionally. I've taken half a dozen trees out of the yard with one over the last few years, maybe 12" stumps on them. I gave my small gas saw away after non-stop fighting with it to get it running when it was needed. As mentioned, Harbor Freight has $40-$50 electrics that do a good job of cutting and require zero maintenance. They can sit for years without being touched and need nothing more than bar oil to be ready immediately. They are easy to use on a ladder for trimming branches, and are more capable than you might suspect. No, they can't compete with a larger gas model if you're dealing with large trees or putting up truckloads of firewood.

As for the battery models, I've got a bad taste in my mouth from all the cordless screwdrivers I've bought over the last couple decades. I always ended up with dead batteries or batteries that would not take a charge when I needed them. Then when the tools were maybe 5 yrs old I'd have to replace them because the batteries were shot and new batteries were more than a replacement tool.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast