Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox

Thread: Remington 7mm rolling block

Boolit Master

Remington 7mm rolling block

Which is the better cast bullet weight the 140gr or 170gr range ? I just got it yesterday with the bayonet its in good shape with a nice bore. I also got a uberti baby rolling block in .22 hornet. Boy that was one expensive keg of unique.

Either could be made to shoot well, but I'd start with the 170 gr. Some photos of your new prize would be nice!

Boolit Master
    I have one in about mint condition. It shoots the 140's very well, but I have to rack the sight up to 400yds, to get it on at 100yds.

I'd use the longest possible 7mm boolit that you can find. These rifles usually have extremely long throats and you won't be able to get the bullet far enough out of the case mouth to even come close to the throat, which generally is not a help to accuracy. I shoot 175 grain semi-spitzer "J words" out of my 7mm Rolling Block and even with the bullet barely seated in the case mouth I am still WELL off the throat!

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Grand Master

Stopped in Winchester, eh? I was able to resist but bought a holster when I was there.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Nope Green Top, they've had a lot of cool old stuff come through lately. All I wanted was a 8# keg of unique and a look at that uberti baby rolling block in .22 hornet the next thing I know here's a #5 in 7mm with the bayonet & scabbard in better than average shape. Boy did I have a pile of the stuff on the counter. So much for my Shiloh fund.

Boolit Master
    Rev Al I am making cases from HXP .30-06 brass I had left over from my 03's & M1's. Its a pretty easy process Iv'e only lost 1 case while sizing and a couple to my Harbor Freight chop saw which I also fried but considering that saw made about 2500+ .300 blackout cases it earned a rest. I'm going to try 2 small lots of cases one lot the correct SAMMI length and one lot longer to make up for the long pre SAMMI chamber.

Boolit Master

Hmmm, been a while since I was at Green Top. Maybe I should go for a visit. Its not too far down the road

Boolit Master
    Good luck & don't forget your check book. SOOO many choices.

I'm loading an RCBS 145gn silly-wet boolit in my 7x57. Shoots exceptionally well!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    Good luck & don't forget your check book. SOOO many choices.
    That's what credit cards are made for. Don't want to bounce a check you know.

Had to hit Green Top while I was in town on bidness. There was lots to eye ball. Had to remind myself to look for the wife's holster.

About the 7x57, if you can find one of the old (1970s/80's) RCBS 168 grain GC molds, they had a design with almost full length groove diameter lands; not like the ones they sell now. The nose was just a little nubbin stuck ahead of the front band. Sold mine in '87 to a silhouette pistol shooter in NC.