RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie wanting to load .32 S&W (short) with Pyrodex- what do I need?

Boolit Grand Master

You are good to go. Did you get a reloading manual? Either the Lyman Cast #3 that was posted or the 50th Reloading? You really need to understand the process before you start.

What you have is more than enough. Ignore the scale, you measure Pyrodex by volume anyway. It's density is very different than that of BP. I'm assuming you have a BP measure with BP equivalent marks. If you fill the cartridge case to the base of the bullet how much equivalent BP is that? I'm guessing you can fill that case with Pyrodex but you want to verify that. I'm not sure but I think the 32 S&W was loaded with 8gr BP? You might want to verify that and see how much a case full of Pyrodex measures in a BP measure.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    You are good to go. Did you get a reloading manual? Either the Lyman Cast #3 that was posted or the 50th Reloading? You really need to understand the process before you start.

What you have is more than enough. Ignore the scale, you measure Pyrodex by volume anyway. It's density is very different than that of BP. I'm assuming you have a BP measure with BP equivalent marks. If you fill the cartridge case to the base of the bullet how much equivalent BP is that? I'm guessing you can fill that case with Pyrodex but you want to verify that. I'm not sure but I think the 32 S&W was loaded with 8gr BP? You might want to verify that and see how much a case full of Pyrodex measures in a BP measure.

I've been reading the Lyman Cast #3 that was posted (along with Youtube videos). However, the information on 32 S&W (on page 254) doesn't include black powder. I have the measure in the picture below I've use for my cap & ball revolvers. It starts at 5 grains and goes up incrementally by 5 (5, 10, 15, etc...).
    I'm just trying to determine the best method for making sure the bullet is actually sitting on, and compressing lightly, the powder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200528_160024.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	262903

I have never been able to fill a case with a full 8 grains. The modern brass is a bit different (I have a few vintage rounds), but I don't see how it could hold more than what I bought from Starline. I haven't used Pyrodex, but if it is anywhere close to measuring like BP, especially with the large granulation you have, I say that you are good to go. Take care when resizing and seating your bullets, that the case is aligned when it enters the die. I've accidentally damaged a couple of cases, because I was going too fast. As for ensuring proper compression, I've just been eyeballing the amount, and have had no issue yet. It is best to err on the side of slightly too much.

Boolit Grand Master

Doesn't Pyrodex say not to compress it? I don't use it so I don't really know, just something I've heard.
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Grand Master

To answer your question - use your measure to put five grains equivalent in your primed cases and set your bullets. This will be your starting load. If you know anyone locally that has a chronograph beg, borrow, or intrigue them enough to let you use it. You should be able to set your measure halfway between marks, to get about 7-7.5gr equivalent and this is probably your top load. If this will be compressed when you seat your bullet you may need to drop it back if Pyrodex does caution against compression.
    Wayne the Shrink

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123