RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox PBcastco
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tasco Scope

Banned

ive never had one fail either but mostly because they sit in the junk scope box and are never used and pulled off a gun as soon as it comes in the door. Same thing with the old weavers. I know some love them but ive had them fail more then any other scope. Mostly no doubt do to there age and the seals being dried up. But you couldn't give me an old k weaver. Today you can buy a decent import scope from cameraland or optics planet for a 100 bucks that would put a vari x2 leupold from 20 years ago to shame. Why would you even bother with something like a used tasco on a big game gun that might cost you the trophy of a lifetime. Maybe on a 22 but even then it would be a cheap 22!
    Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    I had many Tascos thirty or more years ago and don't recall ever having one fail. However, I used to buy and sell and trade guns and scopes often back then. I quickly found that Tascos had very little in the way of resale value. Aside from that, pretty good scopes.

Boolit Buddy
    I was given a Tasco 3x9x50 Muzzleloader scope. After about 90rds through my AR, it rattled the crosshairs loose. I reached out to customer service (Bushnell bought them out) and they told me to send it in. If it was made before 2002 they will just send it back to me because it is not their problem. If it is post 2002, they will fix it and ship it back (on my dime). I figured for the $10 to ship it there and $10 to ship it back without knowing for sure whether they would fix it or not was too much of a gamble for a cheap scope. For inexpensive but still decent, I like Simmons. I've had a 3x9x50 on my 30/06 for 18 years that I got from walmart for $45. It holds zero without fail and even survived a 12' fall from a tree stand. My buddy borrowed the rifle and fell out of the tree stand. He landed on the rifle, broke his pelvis and tore his rotator cuff. Surprisingly, the scope was still dialed in. For what its worth, Natchez is running their Simmons 3x9x50 scopes for 29.99 right now and their 3x9x40 for 27.99. I bought 2 of the 3x9x50's.

Boolit Buddy
    Many years ago I purchased a Tasco 6-24 x 44 for my Brno 22 for 100 mtr rimfire and the sales pitch was a life time unconditional life time warranty when the scope failed I contacted them and the answer was Oh we don't do that anymore, so I don't buy Tasco anymore.

Boolit Mold
    Hi again,
    Many thanks to all for their input.
    I read the survey in the thread "Rifle scopes, the good, bad and ugly'. I then went to amazon and e-bay to check out the makes and models. while doing so I came upon this scope, although not on the list it got my attention. Bushnell Banner Dusk and Dawn 6-24 x 40. I like the 7.25" mounting length. The big problem is that they are not available to my area at this time or are out of stock. they also make a 4-12 power but same problem. Priced at about $179.95. I think I will look locally or maybe phone Bushnell.
    Again thank you all for your input.
    Rod

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    If your spending that king of money I’d suggest a Leupold Rifleman, Nikon prostaff, of a vortex. If your going to hunt with it a 6x starting power is way to hi of a power. I prefer a 2 to 3.5x starting power. IMO field of view is poor with any larger magnification. I have issues finding close running deer with a straight 4x.

If you are exclusively target shooting a higher power optic will be fine. With your budget the optic you buy in a 6x24 the odds of getting useful crisp clear magnification past 14x is going to be hard imo.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-08-2020 at 03:28 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Tripplebeards,
    I will try to check out your suggestions.
    A couple of things I should point out, Walmart here doesn't sell anything gun related. I'm not sure if this is across Canada or just our store and don't forget I'm working in Canadian dollars.
    Thanks again.
    Rod

Sorry, didn’t see where you were at. I googled Cabela’s in Canada. They have a 3x9 Nikon on sale fro $215.oo with a thousand times clearer and brighter glass than a bushnell. They also have a vortex 3x9 for $239.00. Cabela’s also sends a return label with Their orders here and charges $7 for return shipping. No questions asked returns. Doesn’t look like they carry Leupold rifleman scopes. You can always buy off of eBay. I buy many of my optics there. Most have 30 day return policies.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/12522...ch-riflescopes

I’m sure whatever you’ll get you’ll be happy with.

Agree with most of the above. I would definitely opt for a used, economy gun over a used economy optic. I am using “economy” to be kind. The only used scopes I will buy are Leupold( lifetime warranty) and other high end optics.

Boolit Master
    The older Jap Tasco's are decent scopes, but I wouldn't pay much for one. I've been using Redfield Reveluton scopes the last ten years, and am really impressed with them, I have 6 of them now with no complaints. A good friend is really braging about the new sig sauer whiskey scopes, maybe I'll try one soon!

Hello, I am reading the whole thread, jumping while I take care of my little daughter, so I do not know if someone told her this that I am going to advise her.
    Clarity of vision may be obtained by being able to make some adjustments such as Objective Adjustment (AO) or eyepiece adjustment.

Maybe if you could access a medium quality scope with these settings, you could see if this is your problem.
    If you could stretch your wallet a little, I recommend now that they are not going to make more scopes, the Nikon brand. I think they maintain a decent quality in all their lines. I have a Monarch that is years old and I am really very satisfied with the performance, for the price I pay, but everyone knows how deep their pocket is.

Boolit Master
    I have a Tasco 6x18 scope that uses the Lyman/ Unertle style mounts. The optics in the scope are as good as I have looked through but the scope rings, not so good.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ugly View Post
    ...I have eye problems, when looking through a scope the sight picture goes blurry within a second or two. I looked through the Tasco and this didn't seem to happen. This is why I am interested in this scope...
    Sounds like the eyepiece focus is adjusted for your eye, or parallax, or both; with the Tasco scope. The other scopes you've looked through probably only needed to be adjusted for you specifically.

^ I agree. That’s why I really like my Nikon’s with a quick focus eyepiece in the front of them. After I had Lasic surgery I can see far away but fuzzy up front. The front quick focus eyepiece makes my optic crystal clear. It takes an act of God for me to use open sites now. My Ruger new vaquero I can deal with. I just have to hold it way far away from my head.

Boolit Mold
    I was in a dilemma on which mattress brand I will be choosing until a friend suggested for me to try Avocado green mattress https://bestmattressesreviews.org/av...tress-reviews/. So far so good, I recommend this for any type of sleeper.
    Last edited by Cephalopod; 06-15-2020 at 10:53 PM.

The Tasco varmint Got to go to the range today again. I lightened my trigger pull to 2 1/4 pounds and re tested the 40 grain varget load and one loading of h4895...

Three shots each at 100 yards...

I’ll have to zero it in now and see if it shifts after use.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Nice shooting !
    I bought a varmint 24x used but I think it is a lemon. Works fine for the first 10 shots then if I adjust it they will roam all over! When it holds zero it is awesome when it it is adjusted you can not depend on it. I have a bunch of Tasco's but this one is my problem child
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

They have a lifetime warranty just send it in.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    Nice shooting !
    I bought a varmint 24x used but I think it is a lemon. Works fine for the first 10 shots then if I adjust it they will roam all over! When it holds zero it is awesome when it it is adjusted you can not depend on it. I have a bunch of Tasco's but this one is my problem child
    Yours isn't the only one.I have a range at my house over the years a lot of people have shot there.I've seen more than a few Tascos that did that. Another thing they do when sighting in they don't move when you adjust them then they take a big jump and even if you only adjust the elevation they move right or left too.I do all the little tricks tap on the turrets with a little rubber hammer and move the adjustment more than needed then back and they still do it.

Banned
    I wouldn't give you a dollar for a Tasco. You might find one that suits you but in the end they're worth about their weight in aluminum.

I learned my lesson with cheap optics. You're just throwing money away. While you might get a cheap scope zeroed in, the odds of it staying zeroed are not good. One day a shot will go wild or the group will open up. You will chase all types of possible causes: the barrel is dirty, the cartridge was bad, the stock is loose, etc. The reality is the scope lost its zero. The loss of zero is just one of many shortcomings of cheap scopes. The quality of the glass is inferior, the quality of the lens coatings is inferior, the ability of the scope to keep water out is inferior, the backlash on the adjustments is excessive, etc.

You don't need to buy a $2500 Schmidt & Bender to get a scope that's "good enough" but I've yet to see a $20 scope that is good enough.

When It comes to optics, I believe you get what you pay for.

You guys were making me think so I threw my 6x24 Nib $25 Tasco varminter on eBay and got 90 bucks for it. I would never use that type of magnification for anything but bought one because of how cheap they were. I see them selling for up to $149 now. I should have held out longer. I bought a Nikon bdc 3x9 from dicks for $79.99 with the proceeds. I’ll put the Nikon on my 450BM Scout. I still have three Nib Tasco vaminters left in 2.5x10. I think I’ll keep them for my 22lr, 22WMR, and one is already on my nitro piston air rifle. I’ve put over 2000 shots through it so far with zero issues. The one optic right out of the box has oil spotting inside the lens. It was the one used to shoot all in the same hole with the 336 above. Worked fine, just cosmetic issues, and went away when zoomed up to 5x and above. I sent it back to tasco for a replacement. I’m sure they’ll work just fine on my rimfires. I just don’t want to chance using a $25 optic...just to say I did it...and have it fail while I have a deer if a lifetime in front of me. It won’t bother me if it ever fails on a squirrel or other small game. I replaced my tasco optic on my 336 with a leupold 2x7. I’m sure I could sell them all off and make enough to replace them with more 3x9 bdc nikons but I’m a sucker for the little gopher with the cross hairs on it.lol

The Nikon I replaced it with came from dicks sporting goods. I’ve been watching and they have these on there for the last couple years and I’m sure with Nikon not selling optics anymore they soon will be gone as well. It was $99 and $20 off when you sign up for them to harass you were texting so I got it for 79 bucks. The next day they lowered it down to $89...just my luck. It comes in a brown generic box. It’s basically leftover parts right from Nikon And are putting them together and selling skulls just to clear out their warehouse I would assume. They just call it a Nikon BDC. No adjustment on the ocular lens like on their cheap rimfire scopes. They also use the Buckmaster and Buckmaster 2 magnification adjustment dial. It’s nice bright and crystal crystal clear. It’s basically their old school leftover parts that they’re assembling scopes and trying to make some money on I would assume. It’s not a bad deal for 79 bucks though. About half the price versus the same Nikon scope with an adjustment ocular lens to focus it. You can see it comes in a plain cardboard box with lens covers and also directions and warrantee paperwork. I have it sitting below next to my Leupold 2 x 7. I trust Nikons and I know it won’t fog up and will stay crystal clear and bright for as long as I own it. I actually kind of like it better than most the other nikons because it doesn’t have any writing on the on the scope bell so the lines to me look cleaner and not with cheesy “prostaff” “,rimfire”, Or “223” written on it.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-07-2020 at 07:39 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12