Reloading EverythingRepackboxPBcastcoLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tasco Scope

Boolit Mold

Tasco Scope

Hi all,
    First of all good luck to every one during these tough times.
    When I was at the range the other day one of the members had a Tasco 6 x 24 x 50 scope he wants to sell for $100.00 Can. He said he bought it used for that price at a local gun shop. When I got home I looked on e bay and amazon and only found one similar scope (new) that looked like an older model. It was only $45.00 U.S. which would be about $100.00 Can. after exchange and other BS.
    Now for the questions.
    As I don,t know if the e bay scope was discounted for some reason what would the new price be on this scope?
    Would this be a decent scope for the money?
    How high would the mounts need to be to put it on a 1903 Springfield?
    This Springfield has been re barreled to a 250 Sav. These days all I shoot is cast lead loads. I have eye problems, when looking through a scope the sight picture goes blurry within a second or two. I looked through the Tasco and this didn't seem to happen. This is why I am interested in this scope.
    Will explain more as answers and advise comes in.
    Thanks to all.
    Rod

Boolit Bub
    The earlier Japanese Tasco’s have a good reputation but I can’t recall the markings on those scopes that identifies them anymore. Tasco started farming out lenses and assembly to China and even Malaysia I think and quality went down commensurate with price. If you look around I’m sure you can find some discussions on which scopes were best and how to ID them.

Japan used to have a very interesting method of controlling good quality ground glass as for lenses. Instead of buying from one large source where a bad batch is always possible and control is more difficult the Japanese preferred to use small cottage or mom and pop shops. These shops tried harder knowing that a small order from them that was not up to standard would mean no more orders. And the buyer very smartly understood that it was better to have fifty bad lenses from one of thirty small manageable shops than 3000 from one big supplier.

Good luck
    Rick

Tasco has always been a mixed bag quality-wise, considered a cheap scope but usually o.k. for the purpose. I have several older ones, anywhere from 15-30 years past. I've returned two for repair, and they always sent back a new one of the comparable current model, so I don't think that they bother to repair them. A couple of them have held up quite well with no attention at all. Remember, you're thinking about buying a used scope, so one way of thinking is that if it's o.k. now it will probably remain o.k. If it's not o.k., and you're aware of that fact then don't buy it. However, I've actually purchased some scopes (like Simmons) that I knew were defective, but got them cheaply enough that it made sense to buy them and send them in for the warranty. Now days the scope companies seem willing to fix or replace them (usually the case) even if the original warranty is long expired. If your Canadian $100 is actually $45 U.S. you can't expect to get an upper level product. You might look around for what else is available in your price range.

With a 50mm bell, you'll probably need the 'high' size mounting rings.

I have had 40mm bell scopes on sport barrels and a O3-A3, they almost touch the barrel.
    With a 50mm- they'd surely hit it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I just bought a 6x24 for $27.99 new in the box. I also bought three of the 2.5x10’s. All tasco Target Varminters. Tasco discontinued them and there was a wholesaler that was blown them out for $24.99 shipped A couple months ago in the well just ran dry with them. The 6 1/2 x 24 42mm I have sitting in a box yet I figured I would save And if not used pawn off for a 100 bucks or more when the market dried up as it’s doing now. But in my opinion the 2 1/2 by 10’s are a lot better optics. The glass is just as clear as my Leupolds and Nikons. I will say the crosshairs are a lot thicker though. They were steal at 25 bucks apiece to your door. But for $100 I’d buy a What for $100 I buy a 3 x 9 Nikon. I posted not too long ago here that they were selling for $24.99 shipped. They were selling right on Amazon for $24.99 a month ago. Looks like everyone is trying to to sell the their $25 scopes they bought last month for $150 on the net.

I can tell you after about 16x to 18x it’s hard to use. At I had it up to 22x and playing with it. It was pretty clear but there is no eye relief variance at higher powers. I put one if the 10x on my air rifle and one on my 35 Remington 336. I will end up putting them on my rimfires and the 336 will get a different optic. There is a tasco world class 3x9 for around $30 on amazon. I have the mil dot version that’s in 3 x 9 and I had it on my 35 round and never knocked it off once. I removed it and put it on my cz452 ultralux. I can hit quarters and shotgun shells every time at a 100 yards with it. Good, cheap optics imo. I was load testing my 336 before I removed the 3x9 mil dot and found a load that shoots a hair under MOA with it. I have too many guns and can’t afford leupolds and Nikons for everyone so some of them have to get cheap optics.

The most recent version was the 6x24 42mm target varminter which is what I just bought a month or so ago NIB. If I remember mine retailed for around $189 NIB when they premiered around 2000’.

Here is the 2.5x10 version on my air rifle.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-03-2020 at 03:04 PM.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Old Jap tascos, Yes! Anything else is a crap shoot...some good; most bad
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Mold
    Thank you all for the replies.
    I assume with high mounting rings the safety on an 03 would work. I only load one round at a time but having a usable safety would be a good thing.
    I originally thought that this Tasco scope would be pricier than it is. The sight picture not going blurry is what got my attention. The seller also offered to meet me at the range at a later date and let me mount the scope on my rifle and try it out. I wouldn't be able to do this with a new scope. Of coarse I would need to buy high mounting rings to do this.
    Because I don't know much about scopes I would sooner buy one from a local gun shop but if I wouldn't be able to take it back if I don't like it. I am hoping to get something in the $2-300.00 (Can.) range. I'm probably dreaming.
    I think I will take the guy up on his offer as I wouldn't be obligated to buy it. I think I will go to my two mom and pop gun shops and see what they have for used scopes. I really don't need a 24 power but would like a bit more than 9 power. They may let me return a used one if I don't like it.
    If anyone has suggestions as to what to look for it would be appreciated.
    Thank you all.
    Rod

Banned

tascos have been allways entry level scopes. Even the old ones were nothing to write home about. Single coated lenses and many of them with internal lenses not even coated. Only decent tascos ive seen are the world class models and the euro models. At least they had multi coated ocular and objective lenses. To be honest other then those two models I wouldn't give you 5 bucks for anything with tasco on it.

If you order an optic on Amazon and don’t like it you can return it. They even send you a return label. A $100 for used Tasco is way to expensive imo. Walmart even has a return policy. They also sell leupold rifleman and Nikon optics? To be honest I wouldnt have paid much more then the $27.99 for mine. Imo they are great optics fro the price but I would have a hard time trusting one deer hunting. I had a Japan 4x I used back in 84’ bought new for $29.99...it was all my dad could afford at the time. I shot dozens of deer with it. But it did come off zero a few times through the years. To be fair I’ve had Leupolds jump zero many of times as well. Amazon had a world class 3x9 by 42 world class mil dot for $38 shipped last month. I’ve used mine quite a bit and it hasn’t lost zero. But if your budget is a $100 I’d be buying a Nikon buckmasters 3x9. Probably have them right a Walmart with a return policy if you hate it.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-04-2020 at 08:42 AM.

Boolit Master
    I had many Tascos thirty or more years ago and don't recall ever having one fail. However, I used to buy and sell and trade guns and scopes often back then. I quickly found that Tascos had very little in the way of resale value. Aside from that, pretty good scopes.

Berelli’s is who was blowing them out. Looks like they’re long gone.

https://gun.deals/product/tasco-varm...outs-2499-2499

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tasco-Varmi...53.m1438.l2649

I can focus my 2.5x10 Clearly at 20 feet on ten power. Good for close target shooting with 22lr or air rifle work.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-04-2020 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post

I had many Tascos thirty or more years ago and don't recall ever having one fail.

I quickly found that Tascos had very little in the way of resale value.

Aside from that, pretty good scopes.

+1

FWIW, although I've long switched out to Leupold scopes, I used Tasco's with confidence when I was younger. (aka: older Tasco's)

I've never had to pay more that $50 USD for a new Tasco (usually $29.95 @ WallyWorld) , or more than $25 USD for an excellent used specimen.

IME, in ANY gun transaction, most buyers consider a Tasco scope to have an added value of $0.00 in any currency.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    +1

FWIW, although I've long switched out to Leupold scopes, I used Tasco's with confidence when I was younger. (aka: older Tasco's)

I've never had to pay more that $50 USD for a new Tasco (usually $29.95 @ WallyWorld) , or more than $25 USD for an excellent used specimen.

IME, in ANY gun transaction, most buyers consider a Tasco scope to have an added value of $0.00 in any currency.

I agree.

Boolit Master
    This thread reminded me that I have a brand new, in the box, never used Tasco scope. I'm not even real sure where it came from, but I had to hunt it for it. After about 4 different attempts, I did find it. It is a 4x15, and the registered trademark on the box has a date of 1991. I have a similar scope on my ancient .22 single shot, bolt action rifle, but this one is a whole lot prettier. I may even explore the possibility of mounting it on my Henry Golden Boy.

Banned
    I put a old 6X24 Tasco on my Savage M12 223 bull barrel. It is an older model stamped "HAKKO, JAPAN" on the bottom.

It has an adjustable focus on the objective and is very clear. Makes my rifle a joy to shoot.

Here’s one of my $24.99 tascos in action for the first time today. First time I shot cast in a 35 Rem as well. Here are a couple of my best 100 yard groups when ladder testing cast HPs this afternoon. The top one is MOA or just a hair over.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-04-2020 at 11:07 PM.

Dad has a 4x Tasco Pronghorn on his 1894 Marlin .218 Bee. I sighted it in and took it Prairie dog hunting in 1991. It has turned purple but it's still sighted in. I think I paid $29 at Wally for it. I've never been a fan of their variables, for a cheapy scope, I preferred Bushnell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Old Ugly,
    Welcome to the forum.
    I am a bit of a Scope snob. All I use now are Leupold, Burris, and Vortex. If you eye's aren't the best (mine aren't), it's best to have a clear as possible (as much as you can afford) scope (with the best eye relief). With that said, I haven't looked through a Tasco for about 25 years. Maybe they are better now? In the early 1990s, I did have a Tasco 6x18-50 (mounted on a ruger #1 (223rem), when adjusting it to the higher magnifications, the image would get grey and blurry around the edges, and eye relief would get shorter. I joined a rifle league about that time, I learned a good many things from my friendly competitors. One thing was good scopes are worth the money. also, I've found it better to have the high magnification in a spotting scope and not so high in the Rifle scope...I guess if you shoot Prairie dogs on a regular basis, then maybe a High Magnification rifle scope is a good thing? maybe?

Anyway, I have to agree with Lloyd...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    tascos have been allways entry level scopes. Even the old ones were nothing to write home about. Single coated lenses and many of them with internal lenses not even coated. Only decent tascos ive seen are the world class models and the euro models. At least they had multi coated ocular and objective lenses. To be honest other then those two models I wouldn't give you 5 bucks for anything with tasco on it.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 05-05-2020 at 10:49 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

You can pick Leupold 3-9 VX-1 for less than 200.00 on the used market. I'd save my money and pickup something with a bit better track record. You will never regret spending money on good glass. JonB and Lloyd pretty well summed it up.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Older made in Japan Tasco scopes have a good reputation. I currently own two 3X9's I gleaned of an auction site. Back in the 90's, I had one fog over the last day of deer season and swore off of them.

I decided a few years ago to always have a backup rifle, cheap & economical. I picked up a bolt gun in .308. I decided to give Tasco one more chance. I purchased a 3X9 mil-dot model. It lasted a whopping 3 shots before it was out of focus and would have to be sent back. Sent back for what? More junk? I decided I would return it for repairs and sold it to a co-worker with warning it may, or may not be suitable for a .22 LR and nothing more. He had fair luck with it as far as I know. Other than that? I see a Tasco that doesn't say made in Japan on it, I feel like the only thing I'm really looking at is a couple of handy magnifying glasses as soon as I can get them out of the tube and chunk it.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast