RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationADvertise here

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 22 Hornet Rifle questions

Boolit Master

Have a NEF barrel in 22 hornet and one for my T/C83. Have a Bee, but in a #1. 3000fps with a 50gr vmax and sub-moa. in the Bee. Lil Gun in both of them

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Perhaps, but I will say I have made this observation; there are two cartridges that are very attractive to guys who want to push the envelope and try to make it something it is not, the .45-70 is the main one and the .22 Hornet is a close second. It's scary how many good Marlin lever guns you see blown up because some idiot had the idea that he could make it into a .458 Win mag and also how many guys try to get more out of the Hornet in hopes of making it a 400 yards praire dog rifle or worse yet, routinely hunt deer and bigger game with one. I see this all the time on a couple of pages I'm on. Both cartridges are great as they are supposed to be, if you absolutely must have more, get a .458 or a .223.
    That can be said for any of the cartridge's developed before 1920. Better metallurgy in the actions, barrels and cases coupled with todays powders allows these older cartridges to be safely taken to higher levels of performance than the originally designed for. More recent designed cartridges are developed around the current weak link. That is the brass case and it's limits of about 65,000 PSI.

Nothing wrong with loading any cartridge system to it's full potential providing you don't exceed the weakest link in the system whatever that weak link is.

What forums are you seeing the blown guns and hot rodding on? I would like to check them out.

Due to improved CNC machining technology various designs are out there that allow for significantly more pressure than the current brass case design. It's not a matter of if it happens it's when it happens? Some of the current firearms maybe up to the task and some won't. No different that we have today with a lot of the older firearms.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-24-2020 at 11:44 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."

– Amber Veal

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345