RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 22 Hornet Rifle questions

Boolit Buddy
    ah, er.... I think he means contemplating (I would hope so, anyway).

Boolit Master
    Guess he thinks it's screwed up...…………..
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Buddy
    I've a nice CZ, (8 rock chucks so far this year) but have been drooling over a mini-Quigley. Just not ready to drop a chunk that large for a single shot.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867788522
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Master
    I have a T/C Carbine in 22 Hornet and it loves both cast and jacketed. Here a thought how to pick the one for you. If you have a Sierra loading manual on hand, check the section on twist rates for brands of rifles in that caliber. Look at the twist rates of the rifles that the members above have had success with. In my case, my carbine likes 53 gr. cast at an MV of about 1700 fps and 55 gr JSP's at about 2100 fps. Another thought might be that since you are in Boise, you might consider a quick overnight camping trip down to Winnemucca to meet the people at NCBS on Saturday night and Sunday morning if you don't want to spend the cash to stay at the motel. Many questions could be answered there.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 05-14-2020 at 01:17 PM.

I would go with CZ from what I’ve personally seen. I’ve had #3 and Bro has 77hornet, neither one to write home over. Have seen groups shot with CZ and they beat anything I’ve shot. About only Hornet I’ve not owned is Win M70, as far as American made. The old Savages 23, 340 and 219 are equal to most new guns. Worst hornet ever was Springfield M6 survival gadget.

Boolit Master

Even after lapping the bore and floating the forearm, my Ruger #3 won't shoot cast for beans...I've tried light and heavy boolits, different powders, different lubes...but 45 gr. Sierra SPs are an entirely different story. Loaded over 11.5 gr IMR4227. they're not quite MOA but close enough that it hasn't made a lot difference to the local pest population. Solid hits don't leave much in the way of carcass to police up, either.

If I were shopping to another Hornet, though, I'd be looking for a Savage 219 (had one, once upon a time and, like a dummy, let it go in a trade) or, maybe, a TC carbine.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    When we lived in western ND, my backyard gunsmith neighbor liked to shoot prairie dogs while walking near their towns. He was having trouble to get enough accuracy from his rifle. I had read recently that European brass was more consistent than US brass. He tried some RWS brass, and his rifle suddenly became accurate. It may be worth trying if your rifle lacks the accuracy you want/need.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I wonder if neck turning would help? Just don't way over-thin the neck, just take off enough to uniform things.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    I wonder if neck turning would help? Just don't way over-thin the neck, just take off enough to uniform things.
    Hornet shells have such thin necks, it's hard to imagine anything left after turning.

Boolit Master
    Understand the attraction of a Hornet, but ask why it is better than downloading a .223 or splitting the difference and seeking a .221 Fireball? If found a CZ 527 .221 Fireball might be more costly as it was only made for a short time.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    If you can get it the Anschutz would be first pick . The CZ if you can't .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by PB234 View Post
    Understand the attraction of a Hornet, but ask why it is better than downloading a .223 or splitting the difference and seeking a .221 Fireball? If found a CZ 527 .221 Fireball might be more costly as it was only made for a short time.
    Not really any better than down loading the 223, 221 and the 222 cartridges to Hornet velocity levels. However, I have my 223s zeroed with full powered 55 gr SX loads so would have to keep the different loads separate, rezero etc., etc. And having done that in years past I always seemed to have the wrong ammo loaded with the rifle zeroed for that ammo and neither the ammo desired nor the rifle zeroed for the job at hand..... If Hornet level 2650 - 2950 fps level loads are wanted the Hornet rifle sits there ready to go already zeroed for it's own load as is the 223. I have but to simply take the rifle best suited for the job. No mistakenly having the wrong ammo either. If one can afford but one rifle them, alas, one must make a decision which with the 223 being the better option and then make do...….

Have for years thought about building a 221 Fireball but never got around to it. Between the Hornet with the 45 gr bullet at 2950 fps and the 223 with 55 gr bullet at 3200+ fps there just didn't seem to be that "niche" for the 221 Fireball...….
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    My only 22 hornet is a Browning A-Bolt Micro Medallion. I used to load for it, but then I found that Hornady Varmint Express ammo was far better than any of my handload attempts for my particular rifle. Dies and brass have been unused ever since.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Have for years thought about building a 221 Fireball but never got around to it. Between the Hornet with the 45 gr bullet at 2950 fps and the 223 with 55 gr bullet at 3200+ fps there just didn't seem to be that "niche" for the 221 Fireball...….
    For me the only thing I don't like about the Hornet is the brass life issues. If I had only one gun or all the chambers were close it would not be as much of an issue. I have one CZ 527 and 3 Hornet barrels for my Contenders. Three of them require different die settings for acceptable brass life. That and the neck cracking issues I have with virgin brass. It's been most older factory that I purchased on a gun shop closing.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

22 Hornet Rifle questions

Rechamber all with Ackly Improved. Anneal brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

About the worst thing to do when reloading for the Hornet is to use a FL die to neck or partial size. Dragging the very thin neck back over the expander ball results in crooked necks or off center necks because the thin brass stretches unevenly. I use a Redding NS Bushing die to NS just to the base of the seated bullet. I use a bushing that sizes the necks for .002 neck tension which just fits over the M-die expanders so no expander is actually used except to flair the case mouth. Flairing the case mouth allows both jacketed and cast bullets to ne started into the case mouth alleviating scrunched necks. A Lee Collet die should work as well to just NS enough for .002 neck tension. I still advise the use of the M-die for easier and sure bullet seating.

Using H110 or LilGun with 40-45 gr bullets gives 22 K-Hornet velocities so I never found the need for the K-Hornet. I would build a 221 Fireball before altering a Hornet to K-Hornet...….just my opinion based on 45 years with the 22 hornet and a couple K-Hornets along the way.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Not really any better than down loading the 223, 221 and the 222 cartridges to Hornet velocity levels. However, I have my 223s zeroed with full powered 55 gr SX loads so would have to keep the different loads separate, rezero etc., etc. And having done that in years past I always seemed to have the wrong ammo loaded with the rifle zeroed for that ammo and neither the ammo desired nor the rifle zeroed for the job at hand..... If Hornet level 2650 - 2950 fps level loads are wanted the Hornet rifle sits there ready to go already zeroed for it's own load as is the 223. I have but to simply take the rifle best suited for the job. No mistakenly having the wrong ammo either. If one can afford but one rifle them, alas, one must make a decision which with the 223 being the better option and then make do...….

Looking for a niche:

.22 LR covers 26 to 40 gr bullets at 740 to 1650 fps

.22 Mag covers 30 to 45 gr bullets at 1560 to 2330 fps

.22 Hornet covers 35 to 55 gr bullets at 2300 to 3100 fps

.221 Fireball covers 35 to 55 gr bullets at 2900 to 3500 fps

.223/5.56 covers 45 to 70 gr bullets at 2600 to 3250 fps

22-250 covers 35 to 60 gr bullets at 3500 to 4450 fps

It seems the obvious niche is between .223 and 22-250 but I guess that is covered by downloading the 22-250. It seems to me a bolt action .22 Hornet is an inferior redundancy to .223 bolt gun.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tejano View Post
    My only 22 hornet is a Browning A-Bolt Micro Medallion. I used to load for it, but then I found that Hornady Varmint Express ammo was far better than any of my handload attempts for my particular rifle. Dies and brass have been unused ever since.
    I don't know what the magic is with that Hornady ammo but it is better than my best handloaded ammo. I look forward to loading that brass.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Banned

All I load for the Hornet is light cast bullet loads. I got into the Hornet as a sub for rimfire ammo when I couldn't get any, and now I prefer it for squirrel hunting and such. The Hornet seems like the .30-30, one of those cartridges that just downloads very easily. Just as accurate as a .22 LR and actually cheaper if I don't count my time.

I have not tried to download a .223, but have with a .222 and I believe the Hornet is better in this role. It also eliminates the brass life problem. I'd never ream one to K Hornet, no need.

Haven't started loading for it yet, but next up is a .218 Bee, I plan to do pretty much what I do with my Hornets with it.

I realize .22 Hornet fans are legion, but I’ve owned 3 different ones and never felt the love. On the other hand, I love the .218 Bee because the brass lasts a long time.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast