RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Custom Crosmans great for back yard.

Boolit Master

Custom Crosmans great for back yard.

When equipped with a match barrel, longer bolt probe, gas port and valving mods and a trigger job, these inexpensive pump and Co2 guns are great for in town. The other day I plugged a yellow beak perched on a wire 40 yards away with a .177 pellet. This rifle has a Walther Lothar barrel I ordered from Crosman. It was a part from their Challenger target rifle. I also have some .22 caliber guns that I fitted with FX barrels that Airguns of Arizona was blowing out a few years back. I have made them nearly silent as well. Makes me pretty happy to dump pigeons, starlings and grackels from my deck.

Grackles are native birds, and in most states are protected.

The Grackles are also on the migratory bird treaty list like Magpies and raptors.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Grackles are native birds, and in most states are protected.
    That is indeed interesting. We have always treated them as pests.

Boolit Master

I have a Model 1 .22 that my dad bought me when I was about 14, new. I rebuilt it last year and it’s a tack driver, probably getting about 10 lbs. of energy. My 760 pump from the nineties must get 6 or 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boolseye; 05-16-2020 at 05:06 AM.

Vendor Sponsor

My favorite is a Benjamin Marauder pistol in 22 caliber. It's a PCP not a pump or springer or CO2 action but with a little transfer port work these things are especially lethal on tree rats. Tree rats will devastate a garden. Take a big bite out of every green tomato on the vine.

I had one that wouldn't group very well at all, sent it back to Crossman and they replaced it. The new one puts a group into a dime across the back yard, they tell me there is either a great barrel or a wonky barrel for these, I think the good one is the Green Mountain barrel. There are aftermarket barrels as well which really changes the game but they cost as much as the pistol cost new.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boolseye View Post
    I have a Model 1 .22 that my dad bought me when I was about 14, new. I rebuilt it last year and it’s a tack driver, probably getting about 10 lbs. of energy. My 760 pump from the nineties must get 6 or 7. Either will do for your average feathered friend. Don’t usually shoot birds but house sparrows are wrecking my girlfriend’s eaves. Can you still get that rifled barrel from Crosman that fits on the 760? I know that was a really common mod.

Unfortunately my chrony took a direct hit from a Hatsan 135 the other day. No fps measurements for awhile.

Never worked on a 760. Shot one quite a bit though. Also a 2077 pump pistol. Crosman does sell lots of parts and they are not expensive. You need to download the parts schematic for your gun and call them with the part numbers. The Co2 and pumps pistols are what I start with. First comes a steel breech and a butt stock if I'm making a rifle. Then aftermarket parts from guys on the airgun forums. Amazing what you can wind up with.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Migratory Bird Treaty Act Protected Species (10.13 List)

https://www.fws.gov/birds/management...ed-species.php
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Man
    In reading from the law, Zotter said, "Grackles may be killed only when found committing or about to commit depredation."

When presented with that terminology, local game warden Mark Collins laughed and said he had never seen a grackle that was not "committing or about to commit depredation."

Boolit Master
    They never fail to commit depredation on songbirds or my ears for that matter.

Boolit Master

I was at a local river access yesterday and a little flock of grackles showed up near my car. They have a really beautiful iridescence in the feathers on their head and neck.

I never see them near my house out in the woods. They seem to be more of a town bird around here.

Last edited by Boolseye; 06-04-2020 at 08:26 AM.

My local buzzard just loves them when I pile them up for him. It takes special skill to debone a grackle and he is an expert!
    Airgun ONLY Hunting http://www.T3PRanchAGS.com

Boolit Master

10s of thousands of grackles this winter, most I have ever seen, but they moved on. Thought they were starlings at first and wanted to see what 5 rounds of #8 would do to a flock, but aborted once I realized they were grackles.