Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Portable Target Stand

Boolit Bub
    Those coated election/sale signs hold up really well and leave nice round bullet holes in your target

Boolit Grand Master

I made a couple up from 1/4" cold rolled round stock and pipe fittings. 2 uprights in the center. a lower sliding arm think side ways H. it pushed in the ground and the top arm went over the upright rods. The lower arm slide to tension target and hold different sizes. When disassembled it was very compact and light about 5 lbs.

Boolit Bub
    I just got done with mine. Rebar is awesome. 5/8 rebar cutting with a hacksaw. 5' legs with a 3' span. First i held it together in the corner just sandwiched between some plywood clamped together with bolts. Worked so well i had a friend weld it up. I made some leg holders with 3 foot 2x4 with a 3/4 in pipe sticking up 6 inches.

Very slim and portable. Fits between the wheel wells of my Tacoma, along with a take down shooting bench and still room for lots of gear.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rockshooter View Post
    I've been know to recycle those election signs that you see stuck everywhere. I am usually polite enough to wait until after the election tho.
    Loren
    This. Always plenty after elections.
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Boolit Buddy
    If you could find one of them folding lawn chairs that the webbing is all tore up on you could strip it down,and have a target stand that is folding,and free standing.I think you could make it look halfway decent if you wanted.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Chihuahua Floyd View Post
    This. Always plenty after elections.
    CF
    Why wait until after . Ask your least favorite party if you can have one for your yard. Staple your target to the propaganda as an insensitive to improve your shooting.
    Bill

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    If you could find one of them folding lawn chairs that the webbing is all tore up on you could strip it down,and have a target stand that is folding,and free standing.I think you could make it look halfway decent if you wanted.
    I never even considered this option. Gonna keep my eye out for one now.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Dignified? I signed up for brave and courageous, not dignified!

Moderator Emeritus

I asked a realtor who was making theirs up and bought a couple. Mine are 1/2" steel frames and legs. Cardboard to cover and duct tape or wire and you're set.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Some of our neighbors have " Dump Trump " signs that could just disappear. But seriously , Out at our gun club the prescribed frame is 4' tall and 2'wide frame of 2x2 or 2x3 lumber with card board nailed to it. I just fixed some today because THE RANGE WAS OPEN!!! and I had some card board I had been saving. There is a concern about ricochet so no metal is allowed. They tend to get shot up so I make them out of scrap that doesn't cost anything.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

this is what i use Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200419_220434_resized (1).jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	261860 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200509_145135_resized (1).jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	261861 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200509_145235_resized (1).jpg 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	261862 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200509_145709_resized.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	261863Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200509_144928_resized.jpg 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	261864

easy to make i put cardboard on the taller target stand for paper targets the center 2x4 is to hang steel on works well you can adjust the height the 10" gong is on a short 2x4 for uses on the 100 yard range have a taller one for pistol shooting
    Last edited by LUCKYDAWG13; 05-09-2020 at 04:21 PM.
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Moderator Emeritus

The best target stands I've ever used were made of 2x2's. I bought 4 8 or 10' 2x2's, and cut two @ 6' long, which was long enough to put them over the soybeans I sometimes shot over. I've never met a situation where they didn't work, and work well. I DID take a few extra pains with them, but not much. I cut a notch in one end of the two vertical legs, to fit the square end of the crosspiece. Then I used carpenter's glue and a long screw to attach them together, being careful to make all flats match up. When these dried, the joint was pretty stout. Nails wouldn't have been nearly as effective. A notch was cut at what I thought to be the proper level down lower, and I usually kept it pretty low, so I could put up several targets at once, reducing the number of trips I had to make to change the targets. Use the carpenter's glue and screw again, and it should make for a good, firm frame that should last you a lot longer than you'd think, if you keep it out of the rain.

Then I bored a hole of @ 1/4" dia. about 8-10" from the top, which acted as the swivel pin for the legs. I did this on each side. Make sure you make the legs longer than the bottom of the legs on the front, so you can stand it more square to the direction of the shooter. Then, if you sometimes shoot in windy weather, screw a screw eye into each side of the supporting legs, and take some strong cord, and tie it to the screw eyes. Get some sort of good anchor (tent stakes?) and tie to the other end of the cord, and you can stake these in the ground to prevent the stand from blowing over, or moving in the wind.

I've made several of these over the years, and have yet to find a substantial fault in them. Keep them in the garage or utility bldg. and they'll be with you and serve you well, too, for a long time. It's all in how you treat them that determines how long they'll last.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rmark View Post
    I use a 2x4 frame on the ground that 1x3 slot into with a 3/8 plywood face

Attachment 261512
    Where I shoot they have a few of those and guys being their own furring strips and cardboard to use for ‘close quarters combat’ targets since the closest permanent target stands are 25 yards. What I’ve noticed over the years is that you also need to have a couple of cinderblocks to keep them from blowing over if it’s a breezy day.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

The Action guys here use this and variants - I thought they would not hold up in a breeze but they do very well .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PVCstandpage1.jpg  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200507_140104.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	261894 Try again