RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Herters neck die

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.

Herters neck die

I have just stumbled into an old Herter's neck sizing die. Question: I have used Lee's collet neck dies before, which require no lubrication. Do the Herters need lube or not? For that matter, Redding, RCBS, CH neck sizers?

Boolit Master
    All conventional size dies need lube.

The Lee and Innovative Technoligies collet dies are the ONLY non-conventional sizers.

Boolit Master
    Thanks. Darn. Still, a quick smear on the neck is better than having to lube the whole thing.

Boolit Master
    Get one of those Midway applicators with all the brushes and mix one small tin of Imperial graphite lube with a canister of Midway Mica. You will have enough dry lubricant to necksize into the next millennium, and it's easier to clean off than the regular case lubes.

Boolit Master

1hole is RIGHT !! All conventional size dies need lube...neck sizing dies included.

Is it the standard type of the real long one?
    ** Please bear with me for a day or two if I dont reply quickly.**
    Mike B.
    Gun Control= Being able to hit your target.

Is it like this one? If so, It has a unique sizing system for neck sizing only plus theres also bullet seating inserts that were optional along with lots of different caliber specific neck sizing inserts that are interchangable with the dies decapping rod and sliding inner sleeve. It needs very little lubricant to size necks with this die and I use mica with mine and it works great. This is a die with alot of hard to find inserts that are about impossible to find so hold onto what you got because it will be real hard to find a replacement for it.
    Last edited by mikenbarb; 12-24-2008 at 12:03 AM.
    ** Please bear with me for a day or two if I dont reply quickly.**
    Mike B.
    Gun Control= Being able to hit your target.

Boolit Master
    Let me put it another way; any die that has sliding contact with the case needs lube. Collet dies have no sliding contact, need no lube.

The old Herter's "Universal" neck dies had interchangable bushings but in a limited range of diameters. They sort of pre-dated what we think of as modern bushing dies, just another gift to reloaders from the fertile minds of the Herters family!

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

herter

my first press was a herter(still have it)and I have the universal die with inserts.my 6.5 jap die split trying to reform 30/06 cases.the press was strong.
    parts can be made by any machinist.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Master
    Nope, not a universal sizer with bushings; it is just basically a wide body that won't touch the case and a bit to size the neck. Think a drilled out regular die.

Boolit Buddy
    The old Herter's "Universal" neck dies had interchangable bushings but in a limited range of diameters. They sort of pre-dated what we think of as modern bushing dies, just another gift to reloaders from the fertile minds of the Herters family!
    Herter also had universal seating dies, they had one die body with different seater plugs. I have a set of Weatherby dies that are identical to Herter dies.

F. Guffey

And then there was my favorite; Lee had a set called Target Model. They had a die that most reloaders do not know it was a neck sizing die complete with a reamer for the neck and a reamer guide.

Today that is an expensive die if ordered from RCBS.
    Last edited by fguffey; 05-10-2020 at 12:22 AM.