MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Classic Cast handle bent

Boolit Buddy

Lee Classic Cast handle bent

I bought the Lee Classic Cast single stage press for sizing my boolits and for having a backup single stage to my Forster. I've really loved it, but last night I was sizing powder coated MP 434215 GC boolits and the handle bent clean over. Does anyone know if the Inline Fabrication handle is a solid bar? I can just get a 0.625" steel rod but then I'll have to figure out how to add a handle at the end.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bcr View Post
    I bought the Lee Classic Cast single stage press for sizing my boolits and for having a backup single stage to my Forster. I've really loved it, but last night I was sizing powder coated MP 434215 GC boolits and the handle bent clean over. Does anyone know if the Inline Fabrication handle is a solid bar? I can just get a 0.625" steel rod but then I'll have to figure out how to add a handle at the end.
    Hi bcr,
    I can't answer the question about the Inline Fab handle being solid, but I wanted to recommend you contact Lee about the handle. I'm pretty sure they'll replace it at no charge.
    Ed

Boolit Buddy

Thanks Ed, I'm sure they'll replace it for free, I just figured maybe I need something more rugged. Maybe I can just insert a smaller diameter steel rod in the factory handle tube.

Banned
    Ha Ha .

Banned
    My lee classic cast has a solid bar and it is STRONG. I can 't imagine bending it.....Contact Lee and get a replacement.

Boolit Buddy

Mine is 0.625" OD and 0.375" ID. I was astounded that it bent but the sizing is a decent amount of force. I was also surprised to see it is hollow.

How much sizing are you doing? If more than a couple thou, it is a bit to much. If you need to go more than .001 or .002 then do it in steps.
    As far as making a replacement handle, it's not hard to thread the end of your round stock so you can screw on a knob. Thread it the right size and you can use most any shift knob for a car Hurst shifter. Maybe one of the pistol grip ones.
    Having a set of taps and dies in SAE and Metric is handy. I have both. Any nut or bolt that gets a bit bunged up is easily fixed.
    Leo

Moderator Emeritus

I believe Lee purposely designed that hollow handle as a weak link, so it would bend before you Break something else on the press. I'd just replace it with another original from Lee.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    I was doing something to prove a point. I replaced my handle with an old Cadillac lug wrench. When I was done, I put the other one back. Get an old lug wrench and put a grip on it.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Grand Master
    JonB made a good point. Handles are easy to replace.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy

Ok, I'm an idiot. I just measured them and they're 0.438" coated and 0.435" as cast. But that's a bit of a problem, because if I size before coating I'll need to lube them and then presumably remove the lube prior to coating. Maybe these just aren't good boolits for powder coating.

Boolit Master
    What is your sizing die size?

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy

0.430"

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, I'm an idiot. I just measured them and they're 0.438" coated and 0.435" as cast. But that's a bit of a problem, because if I size before coating I'll need to lube them and then presumably remove the lube prior to coating. Maybe these just aren't good boolits for powder coating.

that doesn't work out between my ears. why lube if you are PC'ing. am I reading wrong ? I have more ???? now
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Moderator Emeritus

You can try sizing them 'naked', if that doesn't work, you can lube with a dish soap/water mix, they will cleanup easily.
    BUT, I would seek out a different mold if you prefer to PC your .430 boolits
    ...although, maybe sizing them fat boolits down is your preferred exercise regiment ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nun2kute View Post
    that doesn't work out between my ears. why lube if you are PC'ing. am I reading wrong ? I have more ???? now
    if you don't lube the bullet before using a lee style push through sizer, you'll lead the die.
    so the op doesn't want to lube the bullet to size it, then clean the lube off to powder coat it.

WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds like a lot of work. I would not want to tick you off!!!
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Or use RCBS #2 case lube. Water soluble.

Dillon's handles fit.
    Last edited by jdfoxinc; 05-04-2020 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Added comment
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Banned
    Lie previously mentioned, try using spray-on case lube (lanolin/alcohol) or try sizing in stages. (I've read where some people had luck using water to help with the sizing.

How long did you wait after PCing to size?
    How hard an alloy were your using?

I'd call Lee Precision | 4275 County Road U | Hartford, WI 53027 | phone (262) 673-3075 and see if they'll send you a replacement for free, otherwise, you'll either have to pay shipping and handling for a free replacement handle OR send the handle to them (you pay to ship NO handling) and they will send you a replacement for free.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm surprised the Lever Sleeve didn't break before the handle bent.
    I've broken two of the so far.
    Don't use the press anymore.
    It is a good press.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast