Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Custom Rebore

Boolit Master

Custom Rebore

I’d always wanted a Colt’s SAA barrel bored to .454” so I bought a new .38/.357 Colt’s barrel and sent it in for a custom rebore job. After a long wait the barrel has returned with nice sharp rifling. The custom bored barrel measurements are .451”-.447”. A Colt’s measurements are .452”-.445”. The front sight will have to have the height increased, and the side of the barrel should be remarked from .357 to .45. The rebored barrel has what looks like tool marks in the bore, the Colt’s barrels are nice and shiny. I’m believing this project will end under the waste of time and waste of money category.

Boolit Grand Master
    It sounds as though you have some work ahead of you, but don't give up the ship quite yet. The .454 you desire is probably beyond reach, but the tool marks need not trouble you and you should still be able to make a usable and useful barrel.

Get yourself a can of Clover 4a lapping compound, and cast up a bunch of .452 + diameter boolits. Soft boolits work better than hard cast. Between two pieces of metal, or glass, spread a layer of lapping compound and roll your boolits back and forth to firmly impregnate the lead with the compound. Clamp the barrel in a sturdy, non-marring vise and and start driving your laps through, from forcing cone to muzzle. I would drill out the primer pocket on a 40 S&W case to allow a 5/16th rod to slip through and use that to avoid having my steel rod ding up my bore while I drive my laps through. After pushing 30-40 laps through, clean the bore thoroughly and inspect. Re-coat fresh laps and and repeat as needed until you have a nice smooth, shiny bore. Oil the bore to protect the surfaces you have laboriously cleaned and polished and install it in the frame of your choosing.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Rintinglen Thank you for your post. That is exactly what I was looking for

Boolit Master

Did they ignore your specifications ? or was the diameter plus or minus ? I hope it works out for you .

Boolit Master
    I think he was not set up for .454”. I waiting a very long time to get it back.

Boolit Grand Master

Well to me a gunsmith should have informed you up front what he could or could not do.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

That is a shame , wish you the best .

Boolit Master
    Who did the reboring and rerifling?

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    Yesterday I inspected my incoming SAA early 3rd generation .357 which will be fitted with this custom barrel. My FFL says I’ll probably take possession of it in about 10 days. The stocks do not fit the grip frame at a couple locations including at the heel. I’ll have to send this back to Colt’s to have some new grips property fitted. Good thing I’ve got plenty of SAA’s to shoot, this looks like it is going to be a long project. My gunsmith hasn’t built up the front sight yet, his welder is in need of a repair. I have an extra Colt’s 3rd generation .45 cylinder but I’ve decided to have the .357 cylinder on the gun re-bored.