Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Shelter in place diet !

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Lunch time ! Going with a couple of zucni squash , 0 cal butter , black pepper and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese . Squash of all kinds are a big part of my eating , I always keep squash on hand . Low cal , easy to make , good and good for ya ! this is about an 90 calorie meal .

No turning back , No turning back !

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    Well I worked on the 'fishing chair' for about 30 min and here's the prototype . Every thing I added was made out of the the old arm demoblizer . All Velcroed with dang good medical grade velcro ! lol, it's full loaded in the picture . The shoulder strap worked really good . I weighed it with my fish scales and it hefted out at 18.3 pounds . I'm sure I'll 'improve' it after actually using it ....Maybe tomorrow ? Depends on the wind .

Heck ! Lets make some pickled beets . lol , now from past reading here I know there are a lot of beet haters but have patience with me . Always remember that I'm not too smart , dumb people do dumb things ?

I put a little white (or apple) vinegar in a seal able container , add two tp of Equal 0 calorie sugar substitute and stir it up . Of coarse you can use real sugar if you want . Add one can of whole or slices beets . Finish filling with vinegar till beets are covered . Sit it in the fridge and they are ready tomorrow . Today we are recycling a cottage cheese container , I save em because they are handy for different things .

Next time add some sweet picking spice to those beets and a stick of cinnamon!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Next time add some sweet picking spice to those beets and a stick of cinnamon!
    That sounds good Mary ! I have the pickling spice so I'll pick up some cinnamon sticks . With what I did you can also put in a tablespoon of lemon juice and it comes out good too .

Had supper bout 30 min ago . Two pieces of crappie fillet with black pepper and dill .Had another bowl of collard greens . Sure would have liked to have some tartar sauce on that crappie but it was good anyway .

One item I forgot to even mention that I have everyday is these . It's also about the only thing I ever eat with real sugar .

Yep ! Atomic Fireballs ! Loved em since I was a kid ! But I limit myself to three a day , they are 30 calories apiece . Three of them is 90 calories plus if you keep one in your mouth all day the inside of your mouth will be hurting . Don't ask me how I know . I buy em off E BAY in a four pound bucket . Atomic Fireballs last about 30 min in your mouth . Three a day ain't much so I enjoy these in between .

I like cinnamon toothpicks too , o calories . Also buy em by the box on EBAY . The nice little plastic tube they come in is great for preloads of black powder . Total calories for today (including 3 fireballs) is 642 calories . Hope the weigh in in the morning is better than breaking even . I know you can't lose weight every day but you sure do want to . A good evening to you and I'll be back tomorrow !

Weigh in !

Well I'm back in the saddle ! Weighed in at 211 , that's a 2 pound loss from yesterday's break even weight . GOOD DEAL !

I cut up that pineapple I got the other day . Had 2 cups of chunks for breakfast ...!62 calories . Pineapple is pretty high in calories but not if you don't limit the amount . I'm bout out of fish , got one crappie fillet left . Wanted to go fishing today but it rained last night and pretty windy when the sun came up . Probably be a little muddy down on the river but if the wind keeps up it would dry enough by Monday most likely .

Maybe I can find something else to get into . Sittin on my butt is NOT conducive to weight loss !
    Last edited by Boaz; 05-09-2020 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Hi.
    Depending on the quality of the Mexican beer, nothing. My real problem in trying to lose this weight, is I'm a home-brewer and I have two excellent beers kegged and tapped right now. One is a really nice summer pale ale, and the other a really rich and malty Scottish Ale (thanks MaryB!) I'll have to try the kraut. Sounds good and not too many calories.
    Ed
    My theory is that I use up as many calories making the beer as I get by consuming it.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I had to google the carbs in an avacado! When we were in Calif (grad school) we learned to love them. 4gr. carbs, 4gr. protein, 9gr. fats, but these are the good fats.

One other piece of advice - don't weigh as often. No more than once a week, and better once a month. This way you miss the aggravation of thinking about water weight and the one thing I shouldn't have done - and more of a focus on long term progress.
    As a teenager in Southern California, I once had a summer job harvesting avocados. That's something they don't do much in PA. For some reason the Mexican avocados are very cheap now, so I get them when I can. I introduced my wife and family to real guacamole, which is far superior to the green slime from the grocery store. Nowadays I get requests for it at family get-togethers.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

It's lunch time ! Had the same thing a few days ago . Easy to 'prepare' and I like a lot of raw veggies . Used low cal dressing with it (forgot to include it) .

Then I cleaned my carry gun . 380 Rugar LCP , the speed it collects pocket 'fuzz' is amazing ! Easy take down on this one though and easy to clean .

Moderator Emeritus

Hi.
    Depending on the quality of the Mexican beer, nothing. My real problem in trying to lose this weight, is I'm a home-brewer and I have two excellent beers kegged and tapped right now. One is a really nice summer pale ale, and the other a really rich and malty Scottish Ale (thanks MaryB!) I'll have to try the kraut. Sounds good and not too many calories.
    Ed
    So you like my ale recipe eh? Good stuff and if I am drinking beer I drink less of it because it is so rich... I am sure calorie count is horrible LOL

Boolit Master

Delicious

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    So you like my ale recipe eh? Good stuff and if I am drinking beer I drink less of it because it is so rich... I am sure calorie count is horrible LOL
    Hi Mary,
    Yep...delicious. The only tweak I made to your recipe was to back off the bittering hops a little to make it more malty, otherwise, it's yours. Here's the label on my kegerator:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mary's Scottish Ale.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	261800

ETA: According to Brewer's Friend, it's 165 cal per 12/oz serving, but it tastes like there should be more.

Well the wind has been blowing 19 MPH all day . Kind of killed things I wanted to do outside so did 'housework' . The wind is starting to lay but it's a little late to drag stuff out to start anything now .

Just had supper , one of those half a chicken breasts I used the Food Saver on the other day with salsa . Also had half an acorn squash with a little Splenda sweetener and 0 cal butter . Made for a fine supper !

Thought of a spot in the cattails on a small lake today , I use to go there often and did pretty good catching catfish . We had the big drought eight years ago and the lake dried up . Scrub brush grew up in the opening in the cattails and you couldn't fish it when the lake refilled . But the brush might be rotted by now ? Another negative factor is that it was never restocked with fish . But fish naturally get in by the creek that feeds into it . It's not far so I might check it out . It's shallow there but we have had a lot of rain . It's a long shot do you reckon it's worth the effort ?
    Last edited by Boaz; 05-08-2020 at 07:56 PM.

I weighed in this morning at 210 pounds . Not bad...lost one pound ! I knew those first big losses wouldn't hold up but a few days . I'm better than half done to get down to 200 pounds but the weight gets incrementally harder to lose as you go along . At this point I'm more than happy with a one pound loss .

Had the other half of that acorn squash for breakfast , going to get a few more on the next store run . I enjoyed it !

Hey ! What's for lunch !...................Spicy pork hock soup .

In my ongoing effort to find or invent something lo cal but good to eat I discovered what I call pork hock soup . You know right now it most likely took a southerner to come up with a soup called that . You can dwell on it harder and figure a Texan might want 'spicy' pork hock soup ?

Been making it for several years now . The idea was spawned by finding a package of smoked pork hocks in the bargain bin at the meat section of the grocery . In makes three quarts of soup for a total of 698 calories . Sounds kind of unbelievable huh ?
    This comes down to 14 cups of soup , now at two cups per regular bowl that's 7 bowls of soup at between 99 and 100 calories per bowl . It's not some watered down trash soup with a couple of carrots floating around in it like low cal soup at the grocery . It's soup you have to chew !

SO ! Lets get cookin !
    Pour 2 quarts of beef broth into a suitable size pot . Add 5 bullion beef cubes . Add 4 TS of Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning and 1 TS black pepper , bring to a boil and stir . I use a reduced salt broth like this but you can use 'regular' if you prefer .

Put in 1 regular pork hock ( 2 if they are small ) and slow simmer till it falls apart . Leave that bone in ! It makes it 'more' better !

When it gets half way tender enough to shred it with a fork add the butter/lima beans and wild rice . When the hock is tender take it out and shred it with a fork . Put meat back in with 1 more quart of water .

Add the five cloves of garlic , onions , carrots , fresh green beans celery and chopped large onion .

Slow cook till veggies and beans are done . This was lunch today !

Ingredients ;
    I pork hock
    5 beef bullion cubes
    1 Tablespoon black pepper
    4 tablespoons of Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
    5 cloves of garlic
    1/3 cup of butter/lima beans
    1/4 cup of wild rice
    1 cup of celery
    1 cup of fresh green beans
    1 cup of chopped carrots

And a big ol Texas bon appetite to all !
    Last edited by Boaz; 05-09-2020 at 01:59 PM.

Boolit Master

Charlie,
    That looks amazing, and I'll bet smells and tastes that way too! Nice job.
    Ed

Thank you Ed !

Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mary,
    Yep...delicious. The only tweak I made to your recipe was to back off the bittering hops a little to make it more malty, otherwise, it's yours. Here's the label on my kegerator:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mary's Scottish Ale.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	261800

ETA: According to Brewer's Friend, it's 165 cal per 12/oz serving, but it tastes like there should be more.
    My OG typically runs 1.54-1.60 but that slight difference is due to equipment I am sure. FG is right on!

The day is winding down here in Texas . I just had supper , started to have some more soup but am trying to be 'diverse' in how and what I have to eat on a diet . I decided on a salad for supper , not just because it's low cal but because I happen to like salads . There's no end to what you can put in one and spices , onion , peppers or other things to change it up . If your eating salad and other 'rabbit' food everyday you'll burn out on dieting pretty quick .

Just made a medium size salad with a quarter of a chicken breast shredded , iceberg lettuce , little onion , one medium jalapeno pepper with seeds removed , grape tomatoes , few shakes of black pepper and some oregano flakes . I used lo cal ranch (sparingly) and that's it ! It was good and I enjoyed it . I made one box of black cherry jello and I'll have it in an hour or so while I catch up on the news .

Certainly not an amazing meal but plenty of bulk (I'm full and not hungry) . So we'll see what happens in the morning . My crew hates it when I diet , they don't get near as may snacks !

5-10-20 Weigh in this morning !........OOOP's !

Well not so good this morning . I was two tenth's short of losing a pound ! I'll make no excuses , I'm down to the hard to lose 'fat' But figured I would lose another whole pound . In my mind I don't want to settle for incremental losses till I get down to 8 pounds . BUT ! No big deal ! Need to jack up the activity level .

Bluebird sky's , mocking birds are singing , 58 degrees and the suns out , going to be a nice day ! Seems no one thought trying that spot in the cattails was worth a try I'll just do a little work around the house ! I'll probably be back for a lunch report !

Breakfast this morning ;

Boolit Grand Master
    This has been a gourmet delight around my digs. The local organic vegetable supplier for some high faluten' restaurants has lost his commercial customer base and now sells his produce to us. What a joy. Best tasting stuff I've ever had. Every night the wife, who delights in this stuff, lays out a feast. Combined with mule deer & white tail interspersed with some chicken and shrimp...........hubba hubba. I'm going to miss quarantine.

Well I didn't get back on yesterday , got caught up in life's daily unexpected events .

Was out of chicken so cooked another pack of breast halves , rubbed em with chopped fine fresh garlic and put Lowery's seasoning on them . Already vacuum bagged all but two and in the freezer . Had already bagged half the collards and soup for later . I don't keep leftovers more than 3 days..MAX .

Had a bowl of soup for lunch then half a breast and 2 small squash for supper .

Was more active yesterday , watched fluid intake and just tried a little harder . When I get to 208 I'll start posting pounds with 1/10th increments . Weight loss is slowing up , the 'easy' lose is over . Just have to work at it from here . I'll not stave myself though , that's crazy . I didn't gain it over night and it ain't gonna come off over night . No big deal ! I got the time .

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast