Titan ReloadingADvertise hereInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Defining optimal weights for a given caliber for deer

Boolit Man
    curioushooter; I'm right there with you, I understand where you're gett'n. I have recently put together a short barreled Manlicher stock 30-06 1-10 twist 19 1/2 inch barrel to coyote hunt with & 1600 fps seems to be a really sweet spot using RCBS 30-180 (204 gr checked & lubed), & 311041 same vel. Understanding bullet BHN I ? penetration, range capabilities on larger game. I've been blessed enough to have killed many deer with 358 RCBS 35-200 (214 gr) @ 2000 fps. No experience with lesser diameter & velocity. Would assume from all that I have learned here [I]'m probably O.K. @ 125-150 yds. Jim

Boolit Man
    But maybe not a Yogi over 300 lbs.

Boolit Man
    Pual Harrell has videos where he shoots the "meat target" on Youtube. While he doesn't do cast boolits often, one can infer some findings from it. Many different designs and weights and velocities yield dramatically different results. The lumbering pistol bullets tend to do well against the leather jacket skin, pork ribs, orange lung tissue, and pork rib on the back side.

Boolit Man
    All Food For Thought! Not everything is exactly like another scenario. Bullet Diameter, Bullet Weight, BHN, Velocity, Angle, Animal Weight, Hide density, Fat Density, Bone Amt. in # of impact points Entrance til Exit. Muscle Density, Internal Organ Density, & Shot Placement, The list continues until it gets to your given opportunities to put it all together for your own success & accomplishments. Aim Small & Miss Small. Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12